• Jul 14th, 2020 3:09 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
3664 posts
1436 upvotes
Montreal

Suggestion for gaming desktop

I haven't been following the PC world much the past few years, so I am looking for a gaming desktop that can last a couple years to come any suggestion or store that usually offer good pricing, what type of specs I should be looking that can last a good 5 years without going crazy on the budget? Are the pre-builds any good?

Thanks for the help.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4928 posts
1957 upvotes
I'd suggest getting at least a 6 Core CPU ( 10th gen i5 or R5 3600). Seems like that's where games utilization is going anyways with 4core being minimum now. For graphics card get at least a RTX2070/ RX 5700 level card if you intend on riding this machine for 5 years. You might get a little more leeway if you're gaming at 1080p resolution. Budget-wise you're probably looking at the $1000-1500 range depending on if you catch a good sale or any old hardware you have like power supply, case, drives, monitors, etc etc.
Jun 9, 2012
471 posts
318 upvotes
Vancouver
If you are looking for GPUs on the cheap, there's a bunch of used RX 580s and 480s that are available for ~$140 CAD. This is great value IMO as it performs somewhere between a GTX 1650 Super and 1650 and it is equivalent to a 5500 XT from the current generation of GPUs released by AMD and Nvidia. These GPUs can get 1080p at 60fps on most currently released games on PCs.

There are also 1060 3GB and 6GB mining cards (P106 GPUs), but I personally wouldn't get them since some games require the latest drivers installed to get them working. Right now those mining cards can only operate on older drivers. Not to mention their performance is similar to an RX 580 and 480.

As for everything else, it's really up to you on what you want to do. Some go get old Xeon CPU and Mobo combos from China, some use older i5 3rd gen prebuilts (avoid SFF models since the GPUs that fit in them are like 1.5x to 2x the prices of a regular size GPU), some buy a 1st gen Ryzen partially built PC, some go for brand new. All of these options are good for what you pay for right now.

If money is tight, I would go for i5 3rd/4th gen Lenovo/Dell/HP towers since they cost lower than buying all brand new parts on the lowest end tier right now (although you will need to replace the PSU and buy power converter cables if the board needs them). Old Xeon boards aren't bad either, but if you account for the cost of buying the computer case, cooler and PSU, it might not be a great choice. A good option would probably be buying a partial prebuilt PC if you find one on sale or building your own PC from the occasional sale of whatever PC part you need to build your own computer.

A little warning about buying parts at a time is that eventually those parts lose it's value overtime at a very fast pace. Also the warranty might go bad by the time you start to use those parts or find them not working.

If you need help or aren't sure how much you want to budget for a PC go to https://www.logicalincrements.com/
For GPU comparisons between current generation and older generations you can use this table here https://www.logicalincrements.com/artic ... comparison

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)