None
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
12 posts
Mississauga

Suggestion on three row SUV - Toyota Highlander vs Hyundai Santa Fe Xl

Hi Forum Members,

Greetings to everyone.

I am in market looking for a three row family SUV. Looking for your suggestions on which SUV should I choose out of 2 : Highlander or Santa Fe XL.
I plan to finance my vehicle and keep it for next 5 to 7 years.

2016 Toyota Highlander:
Pros : Reliability, Resale, Better fuel mileage (compared to Hyundai)
Cons : High financing rate if looking to finance for 72 months (4.29%) , High Insurance cost, new generation coming in fall 2016.

2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL:
Pros : More features at the price, 0% financing for 60 months (a big relief when you have a growing family), comprehensive warranty (5y/100000k), way lower insurance cost.
Cons : Reliability (cant be comparable to Japanese reliability), fuel mileage on higher side

Which one will you suggest. Thanks

Pricing :

2016 Highlander LE AWD - 41000 (tax inclusive) [60 months financing @3.99% - CAD $753, 72 months financing @ 4.29 - CAD $645]

2017 Hyundai Santa FE XL Premium AWD - 41000 (tax inclusive) [ 60 months financing @0% - CAD $683, 72 months financing @0.49 - CAD $ 578 ]

Thanks.
50 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21677 upvotes
Center of Universe
These thread pops up every few months.
You've obviously done your homework.
Which vehicle are you willing to drop $40k+ on.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
12 posts
Mississauga
My inclination is towards Highlander...
However in long run, Highlander will cost 5K more (after calculating interest portion) which has put me into thought. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21677 upvotes
Center of Universe
vikaschopra wrote: My inclination is towards Highlander...
However in long run, Highlander will cost 5K more (after calculating interest portion) which has put me into thought. Thanks.
I have yet to hear or meet a disappointed Highlander owner.
$5k is a wash in my mind if it meets all of your needs.

I've test driven both (pretty much all vehicles in this segment) and the Highlander feels more solid; in comparison to the Sante Fe XL.
Jul 7, 2010
805 posts
107 upvotes
burbs
can you use a line of credit or some other form of financing that is lower than toyota's 3.99% rate?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8047 posts
658 upvotes
Brampton
How long do you plan on keeping the vehicle?

Also keep in mind the Toyota is a 2016 vs 2017 Hyundai so resale may be affected.

Toyota will hold for value but will be considered 1 year older.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21677 upvotes
Center of Universe
Badman wrote: How long do you plan on keeping the vehicle?

Also keep in mind the Toyota is a 2016 vs 2017 Hyundai so resale may be affected.

Toyota will hold for value but will be considered 1 year older.
Even if the Highlander was 5yrs older, it will still have a better resale value than the Santa Fe.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1944 posts
332 upvotes
GTA
HANDS down for the Highlander! The highlander is a sweet ride and gets you the BEST return on your investment, GUARANTEED.

You won't regret it when you choose the Highlander for reliability. The SantaFe is going to COST you more in the long run with ongoing reliability issues.
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2013
992 posts
293 upvotes
Highlander

Toyota's legendary build quality.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1218 posts
41 upvotes
Not considering the 2016 Kia Sorrento? They also have 0% financing and 3rd row for 7 seats
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
867 upvotes
The Highlander is amazing in all respects except rate
May 7, 2016
451 posts
369 upvotes
I have heard the Highlander drives poorly. At the end of the day, it is just a Camry on high heels. I would rather buy the Honda Pilot.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1202 posts
668 upvotes
Ripley
Either of these is great if you don't have to use the third row. They aren't meant for people over 6 and even then you wouldn't want a young kid back there because of car seats. If you need a third row get a full size van or SUV (Suburban). We outgrew the leg room in our minivan years ago.

If you want Toyota try the Sequoia.
Feb 25, 2015
693 posts
228 upvotes
ON
Both nice SUV's. Personally I think the Honda Pilot is the best pick in this category.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4317 upvotes
carztoronto wrote: I have heard the Highlander drives poorly. At the end of the day, it is just a Camry on high heels. I would rather buy the Honda Pilot.
Isn't the Pilot just an Accord on high heels at the end of the day?
Sep 29, 2014
533 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Much better value with the Santa Fe, once you factor in finance rate, features and ability to negotiate. The Hyundai also looks much better since the Higlander has that typical akward boring Toyota look. The Higlander also handles very poorly which is why older people seem to like them. Very much a Camry that's simply lifted up - one of the poorest drives out there. Screams geriatric. You're really dealing with a 20 year old engine and platform on the Highlander while the Santa Fe is more modern and sophisticated.

As for reliability you are not going to see a big difference these days despite what some other outdated opinions believe. Just look at any 5 year cost of ownership and there's virtually no difference between the two SUVs. After all after maintenance and repairs makes up the lowest percentage of ownership these days when looking at 5 or 8 year timeframes.

Do some research, run the numbers and take them for a spin. That's the best way to decide such a big purchase. You get a lot of Japanese fanboys on here who make blind recommendations using outdated cliches and blanket statements.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5695 posts
2919 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hyundai has come long way in reliability. In US they provide 10 year warranty.
Apr 25, 2016
144 posts
53 upvotes
Ontario
Hyundai Canada's New Vehicle Limited Warranty is 5 yrs / 100,000 km & 5 yrs / Unlimited km Roadside Assistance which is longer than Toyota's.
However routine maintenance @ Hyundai dealerships costs more, so you'll save a lot of money if you have a mechanic.
Lastly, a few owners have found one of the body panels misaligned on their new Hyundais but it's covered by warranty.