None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16220 posts
4647 upvotes
Toronto

Suggestions for Android TV box

I picked up the A95x box that was on sale for $18.99 some time ago and was wondering what benefits would I get if I upgrade to another box that runs Android 6.0 or something with better specs?Also, what would be the price of the Android boxes?

thanks
6 replies
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1337 upvotes
The only advantage is 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage if you are running a heavy third party skin in Kodi, the weak point for these cheaper boxes is they come only with 1GB RAM which bogs down and no firmware updates. If your A95X does what you need, no need to upgrade.
Nov 23, 2015
44 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What are you looking to do with your android box and what price range are you hoping to be in?

If you're looking to run Kodi then I would recommend the following: nvidia shield, wetek hub, and rpi3 (raspberry pi 3). I don't own any of these, but I've read up on these three a lot and have decided I want to spend the money and buy a nvidia shield. It's future proof and a hell of a device for streaming as well as capable of doing a lot more than any other device (android TV and other android uses). The shield is ~$300CAD though, wetek hub ~$150, and rpi3 ~$90. These three devices have the same value IMO and it just depends how much you feel like spending...

Head over to http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=216327 and click the links of the three devices I said in order to find more information on them!
Jun 8, 2015
281 posts
49 upvotes
funkland
Does your current box not stream certain media, does it lag, or does it buffer a lot? What are you trying to remedy?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4209 posts
465 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
I'm using the M8SII that I got from ******** a few weeks ago. No complaints here. Paid $36~ for it.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4534 posts
2074 upvotes
Parry Sound
Nexus Player is one of the best out there but I believe they're coming out with another version soon since most stores no longer sell the first one.

It's pricier than all those cheap Chinese boxes with no name processors but I've had several for two years without any complaints. Meanwhile my friends who decided to go with M8 and MyGica boxes had to buy new ones in that time.