• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2021 11:56 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2018
16 posts
6 upvotes

Suggestions to buy Microsoft Office or 365 for less price

Hello,

can someone advise on buying the MS office or 365 for less price. My need is so minimal, not as profrssional. I need to address basic needs from MS Office.

I saw some offers in Amazon - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07TVF ... EJ40&psc=1 but not sure if i can buy this. This is 19$ for 1 year, but not sure if i can rely on this.

Appreciate your suggestions ,

Thanks
47 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4692 posts
4764 upvotes
Vancouver
Why don't you just use the free online version (www.office.com)? It doesn't include every feature, and it's limited to Microsoft Onedrive storage capacity (free default 5 Gbyes), but it works fine for basic editing needs for Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc. You can upload and download files between online Office apps and your computer.
Last edited by Scote64 on Nov 8th, 2020 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3942 posts
1114 upvotes
Libre office or open office for free is a good alternative. Even Google doc/sheets are pretty capable for basic office tasks.
Oct 1, 2009
552 posts
237 upvotes
West coast
Yeah for basic needs, google's version should be more than enough. If you want a similar look to office, then WPS is free
[OP]
Aug 23, 2018
16 posts
6 upvotes
I need to setup Microsfot outlook for a corportate email. and when i use online versions, it does not give me flexibility to modify quickly and i have to transfer files everytime i want to.can you advise me on the amazon link that i shared !
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1927 posts
381 upvotes
Alberta
StevenJ30950 wrote: I need to setup Microsfot outlook for a corportate email. and when i use online versions, it does not give me flexibility to modify quickly and i have to transfer files everytime i want to.can you advise me on the amazon link that i shared !
See if your company has access to a home use program.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1732 posts
2027 upvotes
Chingyul wrote: See if your company has access to a home use program.
Or ask your company for a computer or laptop if you are doing work at home on a regular basis.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3273 posts
784 upvotes
Chingyul wrote: See if your company has access to a home use program.
I'm not sure if every company has the same HUP... but mine only have the discount of 30% for the 365 version only (subscription) and not the standalone 2019 home version.
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1538 posts
1836 upvotes
BC
doradxplorer wrote: Yeah for basic needs, google's version should be more than enough. If you want a similar look to office, then WPS is free
I second using the Office alternative, WPS Office. Compared to the other alternate versions, this is the one I use as it is so similar to MS Office, and yes, it is *FREE*. You do get some small unobtrusive ads when you start it, but it is no big deal.
Last edited by WetCoastGuy on Nov 8th, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1927 posts
381 upvotes
Alberta
Man, it's been a while I guess.
Use to be $15 or $20 for a full version of Office with HUP.
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
5829 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
CrazyJo82 wrote: I'm not sure if every company has the same HUP... but mine only have the discount of 30% for the 365 version only (subscription) and not the standalone 2019 home version.
I think they got rid of all of the standalone versions and are only offering 365 these days.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33805 posts
7447 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I am looking too. I only use Outlook and Excel, maybe PowerPoint once a year

The killer is Outlook. Can’t really do much without it.
Jul 15, 2012
266 posts
70 upvotes
Calgary
May I suggest CD key sites? I won't list any since they are grey-market sellers, but the major ones you find on the first page of Google should be reliable enough. I just did a quick look and was able to find Office 2019 for $40 from reputable sellers with thousands of reviews.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2018
16 posts
6 upvotes
I work from home and i have my own . This is for my wife who is going to start a new work , kind of a contractor and we need to have our own laptop. That is the problem here! Let me check if WPS works out. Thanks for the response.
Oct 1, 2009
552 posts
237 upvotes
West coast
Since it's for work, get your company to have it installed for you. Personally, I use the owa version of outlook rather than outlook. It's faster too
Dec 22, 2007
783 posts
409 upvotes
Mississauga
install the trial and activate it using your work email address, it should work and be free. I have that setup I forget if I had to do anything to the trial to make it work but it is activated using my work email address.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6401 posts
2881 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Thrift shops and garage sales. Got a copy of Office 2010 Pro a few years ago for $1 and a home/student copy for free at a garage sale a few weeks back.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2418 posts
988 upvotes
Toronto
StevenJ30950 wrote: Hello,

can someone advise on buying the MS office or 365 for less price. My need is so minimal, not as profrssional. I need to address basic needs from MS Office.

I saw some offers in Amazon - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07TVF ... EJ40&psc=1 but not sure if i can buy this. This is 19$ for 1 year, but not sure if i can rely on this.

Appreciate your suggestions ,

Thanks
FYI, this is not for 1 year. It's forever because it's a key for office 2019. I bought mine from eBay for like $8 to $12 (I don't remember the exact price). I assume this will be the same thing. They will send you instructions along with the key.

You have to choose an option in office 2019 to say I'm calling support at Microsoft and I will enter a key that MS support gives me. In reality, you will go to a website, enter this 20 character string displayed in Office 2019 into the website. The website will give you back this return string that you enter into office 2019. This return string is normally what MS support would give to you.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"