• Apr 24th, 2021 6:23 pm
[OP]
Apr 6, 2019
195 posts
51 upvotes
GTA

Suggestions for custom wall grilles

Hey guys,

I have to put grill under my kitchen island for cold air intake. I tried looking for online options, but don't see something which would fit in.

The duct opening on kitchen island, where we plan to put the grill is 4 inches high and 60 inches long in total.

I am looking for suggestions, where I can order custom grill for this purpose.

Thanks
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4401 posts
3878 upvotes
Toronto
I needed to make a grate at the bottom of a vanity. I had this flexible gutter guard handy, so I just cut what I needed and screwed it in with black screws. Looks good for my purpose and it's at floor level so no one will examine it closely:
LINK

A better looking option is aluminum gutter guards: LINK
You may need to trim it to fit (or use two shorter sections), but thin aluminum is easy to cut.

A more expensive option is to look a "linear drains" (i.e. long shower drains).
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2254 posts
1485 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
This is what I use in my home. Unfortunately it is 6" high as opposed to 4". Could you maybe mount such on a different space on that island?

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/6-x-30-w ... &rrec=true
“Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
[OP]
Apr 6, 2019
195 posts
51 upvotes
GTA
jm1 wrote: I needed to make a grate at the bottom of a vanity. I had this flexible gutter guard handy, so I just cut what I needed and screwed it in with black screws. Looks good for my purpose and it's at floor level so no one will examine it closely:
LINK

A better looking option is aluminum gutter guards: LINK
You may need to trim it to fit (or use two shorter sections), but thin aluminum is easy to cut.

A more expensive option is to look a "linear drains" (i.e. long shower drains).
Thanks, I'll try this one, probably thats the only way I'll be able to do it..
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1467 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto
That is a very long return air vent. I presume this is a renovation you are tackling that is why you are changing from it's current location. If you are having a new island built - would there be a possibility to have slits cut into the island to have something integrated?

Such as this:
fad6c-sunnykitchendetail1.jpg
Last edited by bst on Apr 22nd, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1047 posts
501 upvotes
Longueuil
bst wrote: That is a very long return air vent. I presume this is a renovation you are tackling that is why you are changing from it's current location. If you are having a new island built - would there be a possibility to have slits cut into the island to have something integrated?

Such as this:
It looks great but it doesn't seem easy to remove for cleaning or maintenance.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
[OP]
Apr 6, 2019
195 posts
51 upvotes
GTA
bst wrote: That is a very long return air vent. I presume this is a renovation you are tackling that is why you are changing from it's current location. If you are having a new island built - would there be a possibility to have slits cut into the island to have something integrated?

Such as this:

Thanks, yeah we are renovating.
I asked my kitchen guy to build something similar (y)
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1467 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto
webester wrote: Thanks, yeah we are renovating.
Great to hear! Share a pic of the final result!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12431 posts
8941 upvotes
Edmonton
webester wrote: Thanks, yeah we are renovating.
What do you want done? I've got a CNC, and can easily machine something out of MDF or plywood with whatever pattern you want, if you don't want just straight lines.

C
[OP]
Apr 6, 2019
195 posts
51 upvotes
GTA
CNeufeld wrote: What do you want done? I've got a CNC, and can easily machine something out of MDF or plywood with whatever pattern you want, if you don't want just straight lines.

C
Thanks, I'll get back to you if need help..