Travel

Suggestions for DIY trips on Hawaiian Cruise Port of Calls

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2023 10:46 pm
Jul 12, 2015
447 posts
567 upvotes

Suggestions for DIY trips on Hawaiian Cruise Port of Calls

We are doing a cruise that stops at Maui (Iahaina), Kona and Honolulu. Wondering if anyone has done this itinerary and has any recommendation for some points of interest that we can go to on our own. We are not fans of following tour groups and prefer exploring on our own. Thanks.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2379 posts
504 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

Most people fly to Hawaii, to spend all their vacation time in Hawaii. Only you know how far away all the attractions are from the cruise ship ports & how much time you have. Your best bets would be to get some travel guides from the public library or the internet & figure it out for yourself.
https://www.fodors.com/world/north-america/usa/hawaii
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2916 posts
4473 upvotes
West
Would help to know how long you have in each port, and how you would plan to get around (i.e. rental car, public transportation, walk).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
We did two cruises around Hawaii. Then one more time land vacation in Oahu and Big Island.

Lots of threads and discussions on doing your own excursions. We certainly did our own excursions, less expensive, much more flexible.

For you it depends on what your interests, budget, physical conditions, etc.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1361 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
Did a similar cruise that started and ended in Honolulu, but this was like 15 years ago (NCL had 3 ships servicing hawaii and the cruise was super cheap at the time).

Honolulu = Rent a car. we stayed in Waikiki, but it feels really touristy. We didn't get a chance to hike up Diamond Head. We did snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, and also drove up to Haleiwa (North Shore) and got a surfing lesson and had some Matsumoto shaved ice. Alot of other touristy stuff to do but we didn't have enough time.

Kona = Rent a car, and drive around hawaii volcanoes national park to see all the hardened up lava formations. There was live lava flowing at the time we went, but it involved a 4-5 hour hike (one way) so we didn't bother. Our cruise ship ended up cruising by the live lava that night though.

Maui (Iahaina) = Rent a car. We had 2 full days here.
Day 1 we did Road to Hana which will basically take a full 8 hours to drive and do various stops/hikes along the way. Went back to cruise for dinner, and slept early.
Day 2 we woke up at 3am, got off ship, drove up Mt. Haleakala in pitch dark to get to the top to watch sunrise. Then you can hike around the mountain, or you can drive around the west side of Maui. I think we ended up driving down to Wailea to do some snorkeling at a public beach (saw some turtles), and drove along the west coast up up to Lahaina for lunch, and then more snorkeling at Kapalua or Kaanapali (saw more turtles). 2 days is very packed and definitely not enough time but we made the best out of it.

Our other stop was Kauai = Rent a car, drove to Waimea Canyon, did some hikes. Went on a Catamaran excursion to get up close to the Na'Pali coast (amazing! straight from Jurassic Park). Also drove around east side of the island.

If I were to go back, I would want to do a helicopter tour in Kauai to see the Na Pali up close, and also do a snorkeling/diving trip in Molokini Crater near Maui.

I think I did all my research on cruisecritic.com so just check out that forum.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)