• May 20th, 2019 12:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15157 posts
3504 upvotes
Toronto

Suggestions on how to get TV and Internet at a good price

I currently have Rogers Cable premiere service (renting 4K PVR and own 3 Rogers boxes) as well as their 500 Mbps Internet service and pay around $115 taxes in. My discounted rate ends in May and I am looking for deals.

I can think of 3 options:

a) try to renew the same service with Rogers and hope to get the same rate

b) look at signing up with Teksavvy for their internet and TV. I would have to get 3 Amazon Fire TV sticks for their service and their internet will be slower at 30 Mbps

c) Look at an IPTV alternative and purchase 3 android boxes (ouch)

What would you suggest would be the best way to get TV/Internet cheap? Sticking an antenna to get free TV over the air is not ideal as I only get a few channels and not those I watch.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7010 posts
1362 upvotes
Scarborough
Go with start, teksavvy, ebox etc whichever suits you best, and never worry about bill increases again.
Robellus are greedy companies who lie and are not trustworthy. They WILL raise your bills
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1021 posts
655 upvotes
Canada
hightech wrote: I currently have Rogers Cable premiere service (renting 4K PVR and own 3 Rogers boxes) as well as their 500 Mbps Internet service and pay around $115 taxes in. My discounted rate ends in May and I am looking for deals.

I can think of 3 options:

a) try to renew the same service with Rogers and hope to get the same rate

b) look at signing up with Teksavvy for their internet and TV. I would have to get 3 Amazon Fire TV sticks for their service and their internet will be slower at 30 Mbps

c) Look at an IPTV alternative and purchase 3 android boxes (ouch)

What would you suggest would be the best way to get TV/Internet cheap? Sticking an antenna to get free TV over the air is not ideal as I only get a few channels and not those I watch.
In order to answer your question, we need to know if you want to use legal tv or not.
Mar 20, 2019
22 posts
5 upvotes
Highly recommend to get an IPTV subscription. It's all I've been using for the last four years and it's been solid.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15157 posts
3504 upvotes
Toronto
Resiptv wrote: Highly recommend to get an IPTV subscription. It's all I've been using for the last four years and it's been solid.
Can you suggest a service and the hardware you have? I have 3 TV's that I would like to watch TV on.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Mar 20, 2019
22 posts
5 upvotes
hightech wrote: Can you suggest a service and the hardware you have? I have 3 TV's that I would like to watch TV on.

All depends on the content you are looking for, I have my own service which mainly focuses on English speaking channels with some international as well.

For device I recently bought a firestick 4k, fell in love with it and bought five more. It's a solid device, especially when they go on sale!
Aug 7, 2013
889 posts
244 upvotes
GTA
Resiptv wrote: Highly recommend to get an IPTV subscription. It's all I've been using for the last four years and it's been solid.
I tried going down this road but found most IPTV servers were unreliable with scrambling channels, some would go down, off-days, and the lack of DVR. Have things improved at all in recent months?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9486 posts
3777 upvotes
OTA + Netflix + Prime ( + crave while airing something I want to see like GOT, Westworld, etc) is more than enough TV for me.
Mar 20, 2019
22 posts
5 upvotes
JagStyles wrote: I tried going down this road but found most IPTV servers were unreliable with scrambling channels, some would go down, off-days, and the lack of DVR. Have things improved at all in recent months?
Which service have you tried? Alot of them are really good these days
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2656 posts
1090 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
Since you seem OK with your $115 price point, why don't you try price matching Bell? You're in Toronto, so Bell should be relevant and Rogers probably knows about the Bell deal. You could say they offered you something even a bit better, but don't overdo it or they'll know it's not true. :-)

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/bell-99 ... v-2268911/
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4511 posts
1086 upvotes
hightech wrote: I don't want to pay robbers if I can find better cheaper alternatives
For what it's worth, your current $115 rate for everything you have is incredibly good. If your goal is to save money then you'll be giving up on the channels you have, the PVRs you have and your internet speed. That might not be an issue based on what you're looking for. But Rogers certainly isn't robbing you right now.
Jan 12, 2017
529 posts
190 upvotes
Gads "Teksavvy for their internet and TV" might be the way for you, at least the internet part. I've been a Teksavvy dsl customer for over 10 years and the service is great ( basically half price - former Robbers customer).

I get Rogers cable included in my rent (the lores wire is left unattached) and I don't use it. I never lack for media (retired) with an Android box and my ISP, occasional I switch over to OTA for the 'National' but ever since CBC sported their new Android ap, I'm solo with Teksavvy. Get the 10/25mps unlimited (~$50) and a few Raspberry Pi3's Libelec o/s , Kodi software (setting up a PVR might be for advanced users). Either start building a home collection of movies/TV or consider Netflix, all in would be quite the savings per month. If you don't mind older titles, Tubi TV offers some free choice, but if it's specific titles you're after, then you're gonna pay.

Put it this way, the money I'm saving can go to 'real' seats in the ballpark once in a while, or say hi to my buddies at the local sports bar and get the excitement along with a beer.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1378 posts
445 upvotes
Oakville
PatK621 wrote: Gads "Teksavvy for their internet and TV" might be the way for you, at least the internet part. I've been a Teksavvy dsl customer for over 10 years and the service is great ( basically half price - former Robbers customer).

I get Rogers cable included in my rent (the lores wire is left unattached) and I don't use it. I never lack for media (retired) with an Android box and my ISP, occasional I switch over to OTA for the 'National' but ever since CBC sported their new Android ap, I'm solo with Teksavvy. Get the 10/25mps unlimited (~$50) and a few Raspberry Pi3's Libelec o/s , Kodi software (setting up a PVR might be for advanced users). Either start building a home collection of movies/TV or consider Netflix, all in would be quite the savings per month. If you don't mind older titles, Tubi TV offers some free choice, but if it's specific titles you're after, then you're gonna pay.

Put it this way, the money I'm saving can go to 'real' seats in the ballpark once in a while, or say hi to my buddies at the local sports bar and get the excitement along with a beer.
Seems that you like sports. How do you get live sports if not via cable which you are not using?
NHL playoffs are starting and while some games are on CBC which you can get OTA the rest are on Sportsnet (cable).
The Masters is this week and early rounds are on TSN (cable).

Aside from cable TV you can get streaming packages like NHL Gamecentre Live which are expensive.
My friends who have IPTV say sports isn't totally reliable (understanding that this varies greatly between providers) and is significantly delayed from real time.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9486 posts
3777 upvotes
RETD wrote: Seems that you like sports. How do you get live sports if not via cable which you are not using?
NHL playoffs are starting and while some games are on CBC which you can get OTA the rest are on Sportsnet (cable).
The Masters is this week and early rounds are on TSN (cable).

Aside from cable TV you can get streaming packages like NHL Gamecentre Live which are expensive.
My friends who have IPTV say sports isn't totally reliable (understanding that this varies greatly between providers) and is significantly delayed from real time.
The important / exciting rounds are on the weekend, and I get CBS rock solid ota.
Aug 7, 2013
889 posts
244 upvotes
GTA
I'm considering trying IPTV again. My Sony Bravia TV has Android OS built in with lots of typical apps like Kodi, Perfect Player etc. I'm trying to figure out the best device to use in order for TV/Movie Consumption. I have a local Plex Media Server on my NAS with all my movies, I subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime. What would be the best device to get or is the Sony TV sufficient for this purpose? I want the best TV experience with a proper TV Guide etc.

Nvidia Shield seems over kill since I don't play video games. I'm considering the Fire Stick 4K but would prefer something with Google Assistant built-in as our entire house is setup under this eco system with Nest products, Google Speakers etc.

Any suggestions?
Jan 12, 2017
529 posts
190 upvotes
"Nvidia Shield seems over kill"

more like a necessity, don't chintz out or you'll be killing yourself.