• May 30th, 2021 6:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15538 posts
3844 upvotes
Toronto

Suggestions for installing a railing or grab bar in my laundry room

I have a sunken laundry room and wanted to add a railing and a grab bar that would make it easier for my elderly parents to climb up and down the stairs.

The railing would be around 5 feet in length and some form of a loop grab hook between the door frame and the wall so that they can have something else to steady themselves.

I attached some pictures, as well as a sample of the railing we have going down the basement stairs.

Could someone please suggest to me some ideas for railings as well as who in the GTA can do this?

Thanks
PXL_20210526_224716416.jpg
PXL_20210526_224709858.jpg
PXL_20210526_224701542.jpg
PXL_20210501_130650490.jpg
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
15 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17762 posts
15225 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ya, where the H-E-double hockey sticks ... is the handrail
Someone took it off the wall

Cuz when that house was built it was there for sure
Or it wouldn’t pass Code

You can get parts at a Big Box Store and DIY
Or hire a handyman to install

Or there are actual Staircase Cos you can call to see if they’ll come out and do a custom job for you
GOOGLE = Staircase Handrails GTA
To find them, or for more info
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8426 posts
3006 upvotes
Maple
Look for styles, sizes, types with Home Depot, Lowes, Wayfair, Amazon. I bought my outdoor rail from HD few years back and I had brother in-law installed it with proper anchors/screws. I also ordered couple Amazon bathroom grab bars. I had my handyman installed them in my walk in shower.

Your stair is high for the parents, get them indoor rails on both sides.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6880 posts
2445 upvotes
GTA
Doubt this can be done with off the shelf part from a big box store. (Looking upstairs) The wall on right doesn't go to the bottom step-the wall on left is stepped out (not flat) so 2 different size hanger brackets are required,
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15538 posts
3844 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Ya, where the H-E-double hockey sticks ... is the handrail
Someone took it off the wall

Cuz when that house was built it was there for sure
Or it wouldn’t pass Code

You can get parts at a Big Box Store and DIY
Or hire a handyman to install

Or there are actual Staircase Cos you can call to see if they’ll come out and do a custom job for you
GOOGLE = Staircase Handrails GTA
To find them, or for more info
We bought the house brand new about 28 years ago and at the time, it passed multiple inspections.

I will look into the suggestions you posted. Thank you.

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15538 posts
3844 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Yes, this looks like something I need to call a pro for to get ideas. I was hoping someone on RFD has gone through this and could suggest a place I can try. I don't mind paying someone to do this as I want to get this done right.

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

Nov 27, 2020
140 posts
352 upvotes
Just put an old mattress at the bottom. It's only 3 steps - TUCK AND ROLL!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8426 posts
3006 upvotes
Maple
deals4realz wrote: Just put an old mattress at the bottom. It's only 3 steps - TUCK AND ROLL!
3 steps, to old folks is like 6. You are young, bones can heal fast and properly, not to old folks.
Dec 13, 2008
128 posts
75 upvotes
Hamilton
Consider a handrail DIY by "Promenaid". Anodized aluminum with a few colours and can be indoors or outdoors.

I installed one outside myself and it came out great, and is strong.

Install takes some skill and patience, but cost is attractive.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15538 posts
3844 upvotes
Toronto
TOMSEVEN wrote: Consider a handrail DIY by "Promenaid". Anodized aluminum with a few colours and can be indoors or outdoors.

I installed one outside myself and it came out great, and is strong.

Install takes some skill and patience, but cost is attractive.
The wood and aluminum ones look very nice. Unfortunately, I am not handy and would need someone skilled to do this type of work

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4310 posts
3539 upvotes
GTA
You can just install handrail on the right side wall ( going up from where detergents are to door frame). 2 solid wall brackets screwed into wall studs and straight piece of oak handrail. Not the brackets you have on that other handrail, get some stronger ones.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14254 posts
9024 upvotes
Markham
Perhaps a 2x2 attached to studs and then a 2x4 attached to the 2x2 [makes a "L" rail] is all you need. Have any friends/family who can do this? Very very little skill needed other than cutting a simple angle which can be done with even a handsaw.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4310 posts
3539 upvotes
GTA
gr8dlr wrote: Perhaps a 2x2 attached to studs and then a 2x4 attached to the 2x2 [makes a "L" rail] is all you need. Have any friends/family who can do this? Very very little skill needed other than cutting a simple angle which can be done with even a handsaw.
Yeah, but this is inside the house, not on the deck Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8426 posts
3006 upvotes
Maple
hightech wrote: I should see if Home Depot or Lowes have an installation service for this as I am not handy.
I think handyman can do the job. The thing is the job is small, not worth it (money wise) for them to come. I had to put several tasks for my handyman to come over quickly. At the end I tipped him so I can call him again. :)