None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge

Suggestions to mount baby monitor?

Picked up a Baby monitor, a nice one, Angel Care video and audio and movement.

The baby monitor has a screw hole underneath which can accomodate some kind of mount. tried googling and went to the mall but could not find any mount for the baby monitor, I'm looking for something that either clips to the frame of the crib preferably, so there is no damage, or worst case senario something that attaches to the wall and might have to be screwed in. I want this to be the last resort cus I dont want to make any holes, so I am prefer the least intrusive ones. also if there is any kind of clamp that might attach to a lamp post? I have an Ikea lamp in the room with a tall pole, may want to connect it there bascially anywhere cus where it is now, I can not see the inside of the crib, and I heard its very dangerous to put the actual monitor inside its a chocking hazard.
11 replies
Aug 29, 2012
268 posts
56 upvotes
Mississauga
As a RFDer I have multiple boxes of diapers piled in the babies room, and just sat the monitor on the boxes pointing into the crib. I found that the night vision didn't work great when mounted from the wall because I have the room dark and it was too far away.

Note: the baby is learning to stand and one day I heard a weird sound coming from the monitor, and flipped on the screen to find the baby had stood up and grabbed the monitor. It was a funny sight.
Aug 14, 2011
413 posts
154 upvotes
Calgary
I mounted my baby monitor to the wall using those 3m velcro strips with the sticky back...works great
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16798 posts
2464 upvotes
Don't mount anything to the crib frame, it will get pulled down.

I would buy a regular IP camera, it's cheaper and you'll get video too! Foscam, TP-Link, TrendNet, Dlink, etc. a PTZ model should run you about $100 - $120.00.

You can monitor these cameras on your PC, phone, or tablet.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12855 posts
2957 upvotes
Toronto
How old is the baby currently?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5108 posts
971 upvotes
T.
You may find that the field of vision is not large enough to see the entire crib if mounted to it. Also you dont want cords anywhere near the crib for safety and they will pull on it when they get older. Ours are mounted about 7 feet high, well above the crib on the closest wall look down at the whole crib. Camera isnt heavy so a small nail in a hole that was for a picture works. The other is mounted on a window casing with a small screw.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
May 12, 2014
972 posts
772 upvotes
Markham, ON
I completely agree with dutcha, the monitor should not be reachable by the baby. I realize the baby is young, but it'd be better to find a permanent places now rather than having the same problem in the future.

Go with the 3m Velcro as suggested, on the opposite wall from the crib. This way you see the whole crib.

http://www.newborncare.com/blog/baby-mo ... y-hazards/
Penalty Box
Aug 11, 2005
4175 posts
1430 upvotes
I have the same Angelcare monitor. Buy a cheap tripod, that's what I did. It fits exactly and you can adjust it any angle/height you want. make sure to wrap the loose cables around the legs
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12855 posts
2957 upvotes
Toronto
I think the tripod might be the best solution mentioned above. When mine was in the bassinet, I was able to hang it above her so I could see her face. Once she moved into a crib, we just have it on a shelf which captures the whole crib. You can see the eyes open due the infra-red reflection.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5108 posts
971 upvotes
T.
Tripod will work, but does it go high enough to look down in the crib? You dont necessarily want to be looking through the slats.

Also, depending on size of room, tripods take up a wide birth of space.

Good idea, but wouldnt work for us.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Penalty Box
Aug 11, 2005
4175 posts
1430 upvotes
I have a cheap tripod that I got for like 20 bucks taht extends almost 2 feet above the top of the crib if necessary. The base can easily be adjusted by moving all 3 legs closer which would make it less stable, but considering the weight of the monitor, it doesn't matter at all.