Suggestions for a new phone

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2021 10:14 pm
[OP]
Nov 21, 2008
742 posts
207 upvotes

Suggestions for a new phone

I'm currently using a Moto Z play which I purchased at the beginning of 2017.

I can finally begin to feel the phone slowing down. I really enjoyed this phone. In particular, its long battery life, vanilla android, small size and headphone plug ins.

I'm now looking for a new phone with the following things in mind - if anyone could suggest some phones, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm looking to spend up to ~$400

Phone must have NFC

Some features I would like:
- less than 6 inch display
- good battery life (i assume every phone these days has even better battery life than the Z plus)
- headphone jack (not necessary but I would like it)
- good camera (I assume every phone these has a much better camera than the Z play)
- clean operating system

Happy buying from China/Xiaomi if need be.

I use public mobile LTE and have no desire to change providers.

Thanks for your help!
3 replies
Apr 25, 2019
494 posts
835 upvotes
Good luck finding something under 6 inches. These days, phones are at minimum 6.1" and bigger. Though, I would recommend a Google Pixel 3a or 4a as it is the smallest phone these days. I'm sure you can find it used on Ebay/Kijiji/FB marketplace. You can get a 3a at Mobile Klink: https://shop.mobileklinik.ca/collections/google
Public Mobile 5GB $33
Jul 19, 2015
37 posts
29 upvotes
Victoria, BC
You may want to check out the OnePlus Nord options. Not sub-6 inch screen, but today's phones have very little bezel compared to 4 years ago. I've had Pixels for myself and family, but I'm leaning to replace my 2XL with one of those Nords within a few months. The Pixels have crept up in price and admittedly features, but I remain a cheapskate.
Apr 25, 2019
494 posts
835 upvotes
kazsulec wrote: You may want to check out the OnePlus Nord options. Not sub-6 inch screen, but today's phones have very little bezel compared to 4 years ago. I've had Pixels for myself and family, but I'm leaning to replace my 2XL with one of those Nords within a few months. The Pixels have crept up in price and admittedly features, but I remain a cheapskate.
I'm thinking of replacing my 3a with next year's OnePlus Nord N300 5G. I love my 3a, just want something with a bigger battery in the future.
Public Mobile 5GB $33