Automotive

Suggestions for options and advice for first time used car buyer | $32k budget/$400pm

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2021 12:01 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2018
1365 posts
3609 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Suggestions for options and advice for first time used car buyer | $32k budget/$400pm

Hey Everyone. Looking for some advice.

• I’m in the market for a Mid-size SUV (big fellow, sedan’s aren’t for me unfortunately)
  • My budget is 32k taxes in (if financed assuming 8yr @ 3.49%) else about $400pm (5yr lease or so).
  • Some of the specs I’m looking at, Apple CarPlay, AWD, Adaptive Cruise Control, Power Liftgate, EPB w/ auto brake hold, Driver assists like lane keeping and blind spot monitor.
  • Seems like I’m either looking at the top or top-1 variant. This would mainly be used cars in my budget I think.
  • It’ll just be for my partner and me. But we go on trips with friends a couple of times a year and might also be moving houses in 6 months or so.
  • I’m also a first time used car buyer, so I feel (maybe?) certified pre-owned would be good options. Any tips, to-do, noob mistakes would be a great help to know.

I had almost narrowed down my preference to 2018+ VW Tiguan Highline, 2018 VW Atlas Highline, then I noticed the number of recalls on it. And now I’m not so sure.
I also have 2018+ CRV EX-L/Touring, 2019+ Santa Fe Preferred/Luxury, and even 2019+ Subaru Forester Touring.
Not interested in Nissan Rogue or Mazda CX-5 as such.

I do not want to push my budget beyond what I stated earlier.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
We The North!

ノ┬─┬ノ ︵ ( \o°o)\
28 replies
Sep 25, 2018
944 posts
1873 upvotes
First of all, 8 year finance is terrible idea. Your loan will be upside down in a short time for a long time. Your realistic budget is $28300. Essentially you are paying close to $4000 in interests.
Have you tried sedans? Some can seat tall people comfortably.

Let's move on to cars:
  • Used German cars means lots of repairs in the future. Their maintenance cost is higher too.
  • Latest gen CRV may still have oil dilution issue. Essentially gasoline gets mixed into engine oil, which may result in premature engine failure. This generation came out in 2017 so the oldest ones are only 4 years old. Nobody can tell you if the issue may cause major engine failure when they are 10 years old (assuming you buy a 2018 CRV and keep it for 8 years)
  • Korean cars (Kia and Hyundai) has known issue with engine and transmission. In short their cars may either stop working suddenly and burst into flames, or burst into flames when parked.
  • Don't think there is any known issue with Forester. They do have worse fuel economy and higher maintenance cost due to AWD, but no where as high as German cars.
  • Have you considered RAV4? They are more reliable than the ones you listed, but costs higher used.

Certified preowned doesn't mean shit. It is just a marketing term meaning you are paying a bit more to get the extended powertrain warranty.

It's always a good idea to have an independent garage to inspect the car before buying, to make sure the car is mechanically sound and the dealer isn't trying to sell you a bad lemon. Many dealers won't let you inspect unless you sign the purchase agreement, you can negotiate to have the deposit refundable if some major problem is found. If the dealer is not willing to let you inspect at all, go to another dealer. However the used car market is very hot right now due to people going back to work and the new car shortage. So you may not have much negotiation power there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2018
1365 posts
3609 upvotes
Toronto, ON
AlicW93740 wrote: First of all, 8 year finance is terrible idea. Your loan will be upside down in a short time for a long time. Your realistic budget is $28300. Essentially you are paying close to $4000 in interests. (In that case, simply put, I don’t want to pay more than 400pm. I’ll check out what that equates to)
Have you tried sedans? Some can seat tall people comfortably.

Let's move on to cars:
  • Used German cars means lots of repairs in the future. Their maintenance cost is higher too. (That’s a bit new to me. Maintenance costs I’m somewhat aware about but not repairs. I do have a soft spot for European cars)
  • Latest gen CRV may still have oil dilution issue. Essentially gasoline gets mixed into engine oil, which may result in premature engine failure. This generation came out in 2017 so the oldest ones are only 4 years old. Nobody can tell you if the issue may cause major engine failure when they are 10 years old (assuming you buy a 2018 CRV and keep it for 8 years) (True, no one knows what’ll happen in the 10 years, though I don’t think I’ll keep it much more beyond 5. I always thought Japanese cars were reliable)
  • Korean cars (Kia and Hyundai) has known issue with engine and transmission. In short their cars may either stop working suddenly and burst into flames, or burst into flames when parked.
  • Don't think there is any known issue with Forester. They do have worse fuel economy and higher maintenance cost due to AWD, but no where as high as German cars. (Forester looks a bit off, but I really don’t mind it too much.)
  • Have you considered RAV4? They are more reliable than the ones you listed, but costs higher used.

Certified preowned doesn't mean shit. It is just a marketing term meaning you are paying a bit more to get the extended powertrain warranty.

It's always a good idea to have an independent garage to inspect the car before buying, to make sure the car is mechanically sound and the dealer isn't trying to sell you a bad lemon. Many dealers won't let you inspect unless you sign the purchase agreement, you can negotiate to have the deposit refundable if some major problem is found. If the dealer is not willing to let you inspect at all, go to another dealer. However the used car market is very hot right now due to people going back to work and the new car shortage. So you may not have much negotiation power there.
(Some responses within the quote above as well)

I’m a tad big in both the axis :(
I’m yet to check out Accord and Camry. But most of the sedans I have tried until now haven’t been a good fit.

From the list of cars you mentioned, should I start considering Nissan or Mazda? Used RAV4 prices have shot up off late, the news from Toyota from yesterday won’t help that situation I guess.

I wonder if I should wait for some lease or finance deals to come up. I can wait till about November.

Good idea about how to deal with inspecting a used car. As for an independent garage, I don’t really know anyone like that and most of my friend circle that owns cars isn’t anywhere near me. How would I go about finding one?
We The North!

ノ┬─┬ノ ︵ ( \o°o)\
Dec 2, 2006
403 posts
327 upvotes
Ottawa
The upper trims of the Ford Edge have all the options you are looking for and is on Consumer Reports best used car lists.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1231 posts
830 upvotes
TDot
michelangelo88 wrote:
I’m a tad big in both the axis :(
How big are you? I'm 6'2, 215 lbs and have always been more comfortable in midsize (or even compact) sedans compared to CUVs.

If you don't need the space, personally I'd never consider a CUV. Even a pedestrian Camry, Accord or Altima would be vastly superior driving wise compared to the average CUV.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1567 posts
191 upvotes
Oakville
AlicW93740 wrote: Certified preowned doesn't mean shit. It is just a marketing term meaning you are paying a bit more to get the extended powertrain warranty.
Disagree here.
CPO usually means
- lower financing rates. Sometimes similar to rates for new cars, i.e. 0-2%
- bumper-to-bumper warranty, for short period of time obviously.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11081 posts
4333 upvotes
KosMos wrote: Disagree here.
CPO usually means
- lower financing rates. Sometimes similar to rates for new cars, i.e. 0-2%
- bumper-to-bumper warranty, for short period of time obviously.
are some CPO's better than others? eg. BMW..
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1567 posts
191 upvotes
Oakville
blexann wrote: are some CPO's better than others? eg. BMW..
I'm pretty sure that there is some difference, but have no details. :)
Feb 8, 2009
172 posts
126 upvotes
Why not look at a used Mazda6? roomy, rock solid reliability and over looked by many so prices aren’t as crazy as some other used cars now.

Also, if you’re looking at financing a used car over 8 years the finance rates will be fairly high. Might even make sense getting something more “base” but new and at lower rates.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2018
1365 posts
3609 upvotes
Toronto, ON
valve wrote: The upper trims of the Ford Edge have all the options you are looking for and is on Consumer Reports best used car lists.
mw83krk wrote: Why not look at a used Mazda6? roomy, rock solid reliability and over looked by many so prices aren’t as crazy as some other used cars now.

Also, if you’re looking at financing a used car over 8 years the finance rates will be fairly high. Might even make sense getting something more “base” but new and at lower rates.
I haven't really considered any of the North American carmakers. I will have a look at this one, though I don't see much in my budget.

As for Mazda6. Forgot about that sedan. I Will try it too along with the other 2.
I'll have to check out some other new car base models to see if they fall within the same budget. Off the top of my head, I don't know of any that aren't basically bare bone.
Beamerguy28 wrote: Have you considered the Jeep Grand Cherokee?
I did. Sadly, none that fit the bill while meeting some basic tech requirements.
We The North!

ノ┬─┬ノ ︵ ( \o°o)\
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1567 posts
191 upvotes
Oakville
michelangelo88 wrote: I haven't really considered any of the North American carmakers.
You should try. ;)

Midsize\large american cars/suvs are quite reliable (to be considered to be a "safe bet" for used car, especially those are with V6 and old- school hydro tranny) and may fit the bill with required specs.

Traverse family (i.e. + enclave + acadia), for example, - may work for you. But with those you should avoid the first year of new gen (and completely new 9sp tranny), so either before that year, or after.
Apr 22, 2019
411 posts
442 upvotes
KosMos wrote: You should try. ;)

Midsize\large american cars/suvs are quite reliable (to be considered to be a "safe bet" for used car, especially those are with V6 and old- school hydro tranny) and may fit the bill with required specs.

Traverse family (i.e. + enclave + acadia), for example, - may work for you. But with those you should avoid the first year of new gen (and completely new 9sp tranny), so either before that year, or after.
I agree with this, my dads had a Traverse for a few years now and it’s been very reliable, all hes put in it is a battery
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
5636 posts
2255 upvotes
Abbottabad
Tesla Model X. Go big or go home boys.
Jun 23, 2019
538 posts
394 upvotes
valve wrote: The upper trims of the Ford Edge have all the options you are looking for and is on Consumer Reports best used car lists.
I second this, The V6 Ford Edge is very reliable.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4681 posts
2092 upvotes
Durham Region
IndusVally wrote: How big are you? I'm 6'2, 215 lbs and have always been more comfortable in midsize (or even compact) sedans compared to CUVs.

If you don't need the space, personally I'd never consider a CUV. Even a pedestrian Camry, Accord or Altima would be vastly superior driving wise compared to the average CUV.
I'm similar proportion wise to you and agree. Currently driving a 2009 Ford Fusion and it's quite roomy but getting up there in age. Have been considering a new car for sometime now, and would probably like the additional cargo capability of a hatch, but most of the smaller CUVs and SUVs I've tried I've found lacking in driver space, sometimes not even enough height to fit in because the seat is so damn high, and I'm not particularly interested in going larger then say a Ford Edge.

Think the Mazda CX-5 was the closest I found to a comfortable driving position, but haven't tried any of the models that have come out in the last year or two. Might just end up with a Mazda6 when all is said and done.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2954 posts
2368 upvotes
Markham
CorSter wrote: Think the Mazda CX-5 was the closest I found to a comfortable driving position, but haven't tried any of the models that have come out in the last year or two. Might just end up with a Mazda6 when all is said and done.
The 6 is a good car, massively underrated by the market for some reason. Its quiet, its comfortable, it handles good, its well equipped, its safety suite is not overly annoying, and the room in it is decent. The minuses I found was fuel economy was worse than the default choice Camry particularly around the city, and the infotainment on the 6s is slow to start.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2018
1365 posts
3609 upvotes
Toronto, ON
KosMos wrote: You should try. ;)

Beamerguy28 wrote:
I agree with this, my dads had a Traverse for a few years now and it’s been very reliable, all hes put in it is a battery
vrscdx wrote:
I second this, The V6 Ford Edge is very reliable.
Thanks! I've added it to my list of cars to check out. I'll see if there are options within my budget as well as with the basic specs I'm looking at.
Menthos12 wrote: You can also take a look at a 2017 Mazda CX-9 GT/tech package or signature edition or a 2018+ Mazda CX-9 GS-L trim or higher

It has all the things you want, but you'll need to have a dealer installed Android Auto unit as it wasn't standard until the 2019 model year

I recently bought a 2017 Mazda CX-9 GT (none tech package) and it's been quite the capable driving machine, just watch reviews on youtube first to see if it fits your lifestyle
I don't know how feasible that might be when looking at cost. But this is interesting, I will definitely look at the 2017 CX-9 and find the cost of having a CarPlay ICE installed.
CorSter wrote:
I'm similar proportion wise to you and agree. Currently driving a 2009 Ford Fusion and it's quite roomy but getting up there in age. Have been considering a new car for sometime now, and would probably like the additional cargo capability of a hatch, but most of the smaller CUVs and SUVs I've tried I've found lacking in driver space, sometimes not even enough height to fit in because the seat is so damn high, and I'm not particularly interested in going larger then say a Ford Edge.

Think the Mazda CX-5 was the closest I found to a comfortable driving position, but haven't tried any of the models that have come out in the last year or two. Might just end up with a Mazda6 when all is said and done.
JeganV wrote: The 6 is a good car, massively underrated by the market for some reason. Its quiet, its comfortable, it handles good, its well equipped, its safety suite is not overly annoying, and the room in it is decent. The minuses I found was fuel economy was worse than the default choice Camry particularly around the city, and the infotainment on the 6s is slow to start.
How worse is the fuel economy in the city?

Also, CX-5 isn't my cup of tea. I had rented one a few weeks ago for a few days. I couldn't find a comfortable seating position, some of the technology in it is annoying or poorly implemented, and the steering wheel is a PITA especially when using in underground parking.
We The North!

ノ┬─┬ノ ︵ ( \o°o)\
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2954 posts
2368 upvotes
Markham
michelangelo88 wrote: How worse is the fuel economy in the city?
I got a straight 10L/100km on a pure city drive with a Mazda 6, I couldn't get it to do any better. Camry doing the same drives got about 9L/100km. The only smaller car I starting taking notes with was a VW Jetta and it was just under 8L/100km.

The CUV/SUVs from the extremely tiny to the medium size, did 11.5L/100km to 14.5L/km. Again all doing the same city trips but most of them did considerably worse than the 6.