Suggestions please: 2017 certified Hyundai Elantra vs 2019 Toyota Corolla

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2018 1:32 am
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
xzhvirus wrote: It appears 26.5K for base LE before negotiation. Is 25K OTR reasonable?
Did you check Unhaggle?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9536 posts
3185 upvotes
Its about right for the elentra. $500 more then this one https://www.mycar.ca/used/hf/mycarkings ... 046288.htm being op quoted incuding tax. Or a little less then this one https://www.kingstonhyundai.com/used/Hy ... 61a134.htm. Good luck getting that for $4000 less. Would defintily go for that over a new corolla

"Edit: what's wrong with the 2018 Elantra??"

Many sit here and bash the korean cars all the time
Last edited by zoro69 on Nov 11th, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 22, 2010
91 posts
51 upvotes
Ottawa
carmaster wrote: Did you check Unhaggle?
I checked Unhaggle. The monthly payment is same. Is Unhaggle price a good price or still have some room? Thanks.
May 24, 2017
180 posts
242 upvotes
I got a 2019 Elantra Preferred OTR for 19k brand new. I would not pay 18k for the used one but it is not 4k cheaper like some posters are suggesting. People on this forum love to bash Hyundai but you can find some good deals.

Is a Corolla worth a 7k premium lmao
Mar 22, 2010
91 posts
51 upvotes
Ottawa
Househunter007 wrote: I got a 2019 Elantra Preferred OTR for 19k brand new. I would not pay 18k for the used one but it is not 4k cheaper like some posters are suggesting. People on this forum love to bash Hyundai but you can find some good deals.

Is a Corolla worth a 7k premium lmao
Congrats. You scored very good deal. Are you living in Ottawa area too?
May 24, 2017
180 posts
242 upvotes
xzhvirus wrote: Congrats. You scored very good deal. Are you living in Ottawa area too?
Sorry it was in GTA... we were very close to pulling the trigger on a used 2018 Elantra for approximately 18k as well until we found this deal.
Mar 22, 2010
91 posts
51 upvotes
Ottawa
Househunter007 wrote: Sorry it was in GTA... we were very close to pulling the trigger on a used 2018 Elantra for approximately 18k as well until we found this deal.
Thanks for the info. I will give it a shot. Keep my finger crossed :)
Jan 9, 2009
5 posts
3 upvotes
Househunter007 wrote: I got a 2019 Elantra Preferred OTR for 19k brand new.
Can I assume that this would be for manual transmission?

Right now this is what I'm pricing a 2018 GL Auto for OTR (before purchasing or negotiation):

$19,367 (dealer invoice for 2018 model - MSRP = $20 349)
- $3000 cash discount from Hyundai
+$387 dealer profit (2% over invoice cost, maybe 1% better)
Freight & tank of gas: ~$1500 (a guessed value)
PDI cost (often $0.00 to $75.00 for dealers)
AC Tax: $100
Ontario Tire Tax: $18
OMVIC Fee: $10
(total before tax = $18389)
+13% tax
Total = $20780 (OTR) = 2.1% over MSRP

Do you have a cost break down for your newest 2019 Elantra and did you negotiate in person or via an email blast & multiple dealers?
May 24, 2017
180 posts
242 upvotes
rcl wrote: Can I assume that this would be for manual transmission?

Right now this is what I'm pricing a 2018 GL Auto for OTR (before purchasing or negotiation):

$19,367 (dealer invoice for 2018 model - MSRP = $20 349)
- $3000 cash discount from Hyundai
+$387 dealer profit (2% over invoice cost, maybe 1% better)
Freight & tank of gas: ~$1500 (a guessed value)
PDI cost (often $0.00 to $75.00 for dealers)
AC Tax: $100
Ontario Tire Tax: $18
OMVIC Fee: $10
(total before tax = $18389)
+13% tax
Total = $20780 (OTR) = 2.1% over MSRP

Do you have a cost break down for your newest 2019 Elantra and did you negotiate in person or via an email blast & multiple dealers?
I sent email blasts but did not get many responses. I started calling around and was inquiring about a different car when this deal presented itself.

It was actually new 2019 Preferred Auto. When I got to the dealership they basically just offered me 16,888 X Tax and $10 OMVIC fee. No freight or PDI.

I was very surprised and didn’t really believe it till I took ownership of the vehicle.
Jan 9, 2009
5 posts
3 upvotes
Househunter007 wrote: I sent email blasts but did not get many responses. I started calling around and was inquiring about a different car when this deal presented itself.
It was actually new 2019 Preferred Auto. When I got to the dealership they basically just offered me 16,888 X Tax and $10 OMVIC fee. No freight or PDI.
Wow, that is quite unbelievable. I will not step on your toes and ask where you got this deal. I will try both approaches to see where I get with Hyundai on a similar car. I am under the impression right now that a similar 2018 model would be at least $20500 or more. You definitely got a RFD deal for sure.

Could I assume that the dealership wasn't from your email blast list? Since I am about to start this same email blast + in-person process immediately, would you recommend just visiting a dealership or just calling and chatting with someone in person? I'm expecting everyone to give me their usual sales pitch and over-inflated prices. I've been taught, as with most people, "never to go near a dealership" after which they'll put their claws into you and bring out the 'big guns' sales manager. I've bought one new car and one used car before, at a dealership, but had never used a RFD approach before.

Thanks for responding so quickly.
Jan 9, 2009
5 posts
3 upvotes
Househunter007 wrote: I sent email blasts but did not get many responses. I started calling around and was inquiring about a different car when this deal presented itself.
One other comment: could this have been a demo or Hyundai executive's car with low kms? I could see them offering the car at this price and without freight or PDI.
May 24, 2017
180 posts
242 upvotes
rcl wrote: One other comment: could this have been a demo or Hyundai executive's car with low kms? I could see them offering the car at this price and without freight or PDI.
I think the deal I got was just luck for whatever reason maybe volume bonus whatever... not in the industry so I do not know. So I do not presume to tell you how to go about the purchase but ultimately it is a numbers game and i think you just need to walk away from Salespeople that are playing games with you. I think you have a good idea of the price you want just a matter of finding someone who will give it to you.

I don’t think the vehicle was demo but who knows? the vehicle had like 50KMs on it and still had plastic wrapping on mirrors and throughout so I really didn’t care. I sent you a PM.