Suggestions for recording lectures?

[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2001
1521 posts
311 upvotes
GTA

Suggestions for recording lectures?

I've been researching digital voice recorders for recording lectures at University.

I've looked at the different models and read some threads here at RFD

I am interested in hearing from any of you who record lectures. What type of recorder do you use and does it work well. Need reasonable storage capacity and USB connectivity. Thanks!
14 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21031 posts
5624 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
There was a thread a couple weeks ago on this. You might want to search it out.

I have tried this and it is useless. The rooms are too big and noisy and you can't get a clear recording, even at the front.

Also, it takes too long to go through the recordings at night to make any use of them.

For my engineering classes, recordings were useless anyway because you need all the diagrams and drawings and formulas and stuff on the board.
Apr 29, 2005
49 posts
tried recording lectures for a couple of days. was a waste of time. had to sit for a 2-3hr lecture and then listen to the same lecture over again at night. i find just getting the important points of a lecture is better than getting all the finer details. think about it you can
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2406 posts
172 upvotes
[quote="KidSupreme"]tried recording lectures for a couple of days. was a waste of time. had to sit for a 2-3hr lecture and then listen to the same lecture over again at night. i find just getting the important points of a lecture is better than getting all the finer details. think about it you can
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2869 posts
316 upvotes
GTA
i was thinking about recording my lectures... but my profs all say we can't
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8518 posts
2784 upvotes
Mississauga
It is a waste of time - it is hard enough listening to it once, doing it again is unimagineable. I cannot understand how some people have the time for that.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
1412 posts
13 upvotes
those mp3 players/recorders are pretty good.
just make sure you sit close enough. and you can hide it if the prof doesn't allow recorders
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8518 posts
2784 upvotes
Mississauga
remmuh wrote:those mp3 players/recorders are pretty good.
just make sure you sit close enough. and you can hide it if the prof doesn't allow recorders
No offence, but that is a REALLY DUMB idea. There are serious reprecussions for that....
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1434 posts
73 upvotes
its a horrible idea to record lectures.

once you record them, it might be hard to hear and it's boring.

Secondly, your not going to waste time (hours) listening to tapes.
[removed]
Apr 8, 2004
478 posts
5 upvotes
yeah. You only look stupid if you record lectures.

The key is to "listen carefully" and write down "important" info.

Okay, if you start recording lectures, you're gonna sit around in class and say to yourself "forget this, i will listen at home" and then when you get home "forget this, i can't hear anything".
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8518 posts
2784 upvotes
Mississauga
Just do what I have done the past two years (I was good first year and am in my last year now), do not go to lectures! That way you do not have to worry about notes OR recording!
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7466 posts
248 upvotes
Ottawa
Avenger wrote:Just do what I have done the past two years (I was good first year and am in my last year now), do not go to lectures! That way you do not have to worry about notes OR recording!
LOL they'll probably be someone out there who'll take your advice seriously.
Apr 29, 2005
49 posts
Avenger wrote:Just do what I have done the past two years (I was good first year and am in my last year now), do not go to lectures! That way you do not have to worry about notes OR recording!
I know a guy from Texas going to UT engineering that doesn't show up for lectures. He just reads from the text book and he does just fine. I myself didn't show up for classes after finding out that my Statistics prof practically read from the text book, but most profs tend not to do that. Most profs tend to different examples then from the book, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8518 posts
2784 upvotes
Mississauga
Bordello wrote:LOL they'll probably be someone out there who'll take your advice seriously.
I am dead serious. Most lectures are regurgitation of the text. I usually just do my readings, or download lecture notes and skip the lectures. I never go to tutorials either, unless there is a severly high participation mark.
Apr 29, 2005
49 posts
mritche wrote:It's only worth recording lectures if you can get a very good recording and your course is taught by Willem Vanderburg (at U of T St. George anyways). His courses (APS103, APS302, APS304, possibly others all having to do with engineering, urban infrastructure, social development) are perfect for recordings because he's blind and uses no visual aids - it's just talk talk talk.
so true. i took all 3 courses and got the certificate :cheesygri
but....then again do you really want to listen to Vanderberg for 3hrs+3hrs for a grand total of 6 friggen hours?? I think once is enough. he repeats things that are important so getting ALL the details wasn't really necessary.