Automotive

Suggestions on removing this "spot" off my dash?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2019 10:35 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1691 posts
253 upvotes

Suggestions on removing this "spot" off my dash?

Had a glass chip repaied on drivers side and i think the technician accidentally driped some of that goo onto the dash. Its not very noticable until the sun hits it and u see shiny black dot.

Ive tried soap and water and multi purpose cleaners . Didnt work

I took it back to the speedyglass but they swear theres no way it was them . They did try a couple chemical cleaners but it didnt take it off.

I was thinking of trying those 50 dollar steam cleaners from canadian tire

and last resort would be a mr. clean magic eraser since its a bit abrasive (hence why last resort)

for all i know leaving it might be best.

I was wondering if any detailers or anyone have suggestions on how to remove it?

Not sure what exactly it is and im assuming from the glass chip repair cause no one else worked on the windshield or on the dash.
Images
  • 64911135_459003511332720_3212434597363056640_n (1).jpg
24 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16803 posts
18500 upvotes
Oakville
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: Had a glass chip repaied on drivers side and i think the technician accidentally driped some of that goo onto the dash. Its not very noticable until the sun hits it and u see shiny black dot.

Ive tried soap and water and multi purpose cleaners . Didnt work

I took it back to the speedyglass but they swear theres no way it was them . They did try a couple chemical cleaners but it didnt take it off.

I was thinking of trying those 50 dollar steam cleaners from canadian tire

and last resort would be a mr. clean magic eraser since its a bit abrasive (hence why last resort)

for all i know leaving it might be best.

I was wondering if any detailers or anyone have suggestions on how to remove it?

Not sure what exactly it is and im assuming from the glass chip repair cause no one else worked on the windshield or on the dash.
That's cured resin from when they fixed the glass. You'll probably damage your dash before you get that off. Hopefully someone has an idea. Normally I'd suggest GooGone but I doubt that would work. You could try acetone but it may damage your dash. You could try a sharp razor to pry it off, but it may pull a piece of your dash with it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2850 posts
1859 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Put a bobbing head on your dash.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4308 posts
4464 upvotes
GTA
I would leave it. If you've tried all those cleaners and it still won't come out, you're going to damage the surrounding area of the dash if you keep trying.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1439 posts
876 upvotes
Barrie ON
I am assuming the spot is hard to the touch, and not soft and flexible like silicone caulking.

It sounds like it is the glossiness that is bothering you!

Use a fine grit sandpaper to de-gloss the spot. Mask as much of the dash as you can (with tape) to prevent damaging it.

You could sand enough to reduce the thickness of the spot, or play it safe and just take the shine off.
Dec 7, 2011
810 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
That doesn't look like resin or pit filler. We use the same resin and it doesn't dry black. That looks like primer which is very hard to remove once it's dry.

If you try to remove it when it's dry, you might end up removing some of the dye on the dash. My advice is to get one of those trim repair guys to fix it. They'll remove and repaint that area of the dash
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1691 posts
253 upvotes
derass wrote: I would leave it. If you've tried all those cleaners and it still won't come out, you're going to damage the surrounding area of the dash if you keep trying.
Rick007 wrote: I am assuming the spot is hard to the touch, and not soft and flexible like silicone caulking.

It sounds like it is the glossiness that is bothering you!

Use a fine grit sandpaper to de-gloss the spot. Mask as much of the dash as you can (with tape) to prevent damaging it.

You could sand enough to reduce the thickness of the spot, or play it safe and just take the shine off.
i was thinking of trying a mr. clean amgic eraser and taping aroun the spot if a steam cleaner wont work
mer1ion wrote: That doesn't look like resin or pit filler. We use the same resin and it doesn't dry black. That looks like primer which is very hard to remove once it's dry.

If you try to remove it when it's dry, you might end up removing some of the dye on the dash. My advice is to get one of those trim repair guys to fix it. They'll remove and repaint that area of the dash
Thank you for your input and experience.

What exactly is "primer"? Is it related to glass chip repairs?
Dec 7, 2011
810 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: i was thinking of trying a mr. clean amgic eraser and taping aroun the spot if a steam cleaner wont work

Thank you for your input and experience.

What exactly is "primer"? Is it related to glass chip repairs?
The primer I'm referring to is used on glass and the pinch weld. I'm not really sure how primer ended up on the dash during a chip repair It's hard to tell from your pic plus I'm on my phone. It'd be easier to tell what it is in person. We have strong chemicals we use in situations like this but there's no guarantee it'll only remove the primer.

Trying Magic eraser might not be a bad idea but remember to go lightly since it's an abrasive. If it is primer, I don't think Magic Eraser will cut it
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1691 posts
253 upvotes
mer1ion wrote: The primer I'm referring to is used on glass and the pinch weld. I'm not really sure how primer ended up on the dash during a chip repair It's hard to tell from your pic plus I'm on my phone. It'd be easier to tell what it is in person. We have strong chemicals we use in situations like this but there's no guarantee it'll only remove the primer.

Trying Magic eraser might not be a bad idea but remember to go lightly since it's an abrasive. If it is primer, I don't think Magic Eraser will cut it
im waiting for my steam cleaner to come in the mail. hoping it can heat it enough to maybe pick off with a finger nail.

my next option is magic eraser.

another user mentioned acetone, do you thinkt hat would be safe to use? the dash is a soft vynal material.
Dec 7, 2011
810 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: im waiting for my steam cleaner to come in the mail. hoping it can heat it enough to maybe pick off with a finger nail.

my next option is magic eraser.

another user mentioned acetone, do you thinkt hat would be safe to use? the dash is a soft vynal material.
Acetone might be a bit harsh. I would try it in an inconspicuous spot first. Some of the chemicals we use are just as harsh. Some will remove the dye on the dash too. Start with something mild and work your way up.

We usually start with something mild like our hand wipes. Ours is strong enough to remove wet urethane. If it's dried primer, we use Acrysol.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1691 posts
253 upvotes
mer1ion wrote: Acetone might be a bit harsh. I would try it in an inconspicuous spot first. Some of the chemicals we use are just as harsh. Some will remove the dye on the dash too. Start with something mild and work your way up.

We usually start with something mild like our hand wipes. Ours is strong enough to remove wet urethane. If it's dried primer, we use Acrysol.
well i went ahead and tried something. nail polish remover which the bottle said98% acetone. i tested it on super glue and it removed it like a charm. i had high hopes but it didnt seem to really do much. I used a Q tip and made sure it only touched the one spot. did it multiple times and nothing really happened. although the q tip turned blackish which prob met it was removing something from the spot but its evidentally still there. should i keep trying or i feel like im SOL?
Images
  • IMG_5498.jpg
  • IMG_5499.jpg
  • IMG_5500.jpg
Dec 7, 2011
810 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: well i went ahead and tried something. nail polish remover which the bottle said98% acetone. i tested it on super glue and it removed it like a charm. i had high hopes but it didnt seem to really do much. I used a Q tip and made sure it only touched the one spot. did it multiple times and nothing really happened. although the q tip turned blackish which prob met it was removing something from the spot but its evidentally still there. should i keep trying or i feel like im SOL?
It's hard to say what to use without seeing it in person. From the pics, the stain looks whitish in colour. I originally thought it was black. If you've tried acetone and it didn't work, I'm not sure how much of a risk you want to take. At this point, I would either use Acrysol or leave it alone. Another option is to call in a trim/upholstery repair guy. He'll match it up in colour and texture and the cost isn't too bad.

I'm still not sure what the stain is from. There's no reason for the tech to bring any sort of primer or resin in the car for a stone chip.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1691 posts
253 upvotes
mer1ion wrote: It's hard to say what to use without seeing it in person. From the pics, the stain looks whitish in colour. I originally thought it was black. If you've tried acetone and it didn't work, I'm not sure how much of a risk you want to take. At this point, I would either use Acrysol or leave it alone. Another option is to call in a trim/upholstery repair guy. He'll match it up in colour and texture and the cost isn't too bad.

I'm still not sure what the stain is from. There's no reason for the tech to bring any sort of primer or resin in the car for a stone chip.
where can you buy Acrysol. i dont think its white or black, i think when it hit the dash it just looks glossy on top of the black vynal dash. i made a video on my car last year and looked at it and didnt see this dot on it so theres no other reason other then the glass chip repair job. my guess maybe the technician was doing one car and moved on to mine and maybe dripped something from a sleeve. who knows.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4832 posts
4894 upvotes
Vancouver
The best bet is probably a hypnotist to convince you that either you don't see that tiny spot on the dash, or you don't care.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16650 posts
14936 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Car is ruined. Get a new one.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4565 posts
3792 upvotes
Oakville, ON
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: where can you buy Acrysol. i dont think its white or black, i think when it hit the dash it just looks glossy on top of the black vynal dash. i made a video on my car last year and looked at it and didnt see this dot on it so theres no other reason other then the glass chip repair job. my guess maybe the technician was doing one car and moved on to mine and maybe dripped something from a sleeve. who knows.
Odd that the technician’s arm/sleeve would be near that interior area as part of fixing a chip on the exterior?

Either way, is the area of the spot hardened compared to the rest of the dash? Or is it the same texture & feel but just darker/glossier?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1691 posts
253 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: Odd that the technician’s arm/sleeve would be near that interior area as part of fixing a chip on the exterior?

Either way, is the area of the spot hardened compared to the rest of the dash? Or is it the same texture & feel but just darker/glossier?
the technician included a "free glass cleaning" with the chip repair so he cleaned outside and inside. did a good job on that.

it appears spot hardned and when i prick it with my finger it feels difrerent too if thats what u mean. i tried acetone aka nail polish reover 98% the bottle said and it didnt seem to do much which u can see from the pics. i stopped when my q tip started to turn black.

i know its a small thing but still not exactly happy about it nor should anyone be with there pride and joy. did you have a suggestion?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4565 posts
3792 upvotes
Oakville, ON
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: the technician included a "free glass cleaning" with the chip repair so he cleaned outside and inside. did a good job on that.

it appears spot hardned and when i prick it with my finger it feels difrerent too if thats what u mean. i tried acetone aka nail polish reover 98% the bottle said and it didnt seem to do much which u can see from the pics. i stopped when my q tip started to turn black.

i know its a small thing but still not exactly happy about it nor should anyone be with there pride and joy. did you have a suggestion?
It seems like it’s really well bonded to the dash so unless it comes off with the chemical that @mer1ion suggested then I think your only option is to scuff it up to take the gloss off. Still might be a colour match issue but it might be less noticeable if it isn’t glossy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1691 posts
253 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: It seems like it’s really well bonded to the dash so unless it comes off with the chemical that @mer1ion suggested then I think your only option is to scuff it up to take the gloss off. Still might be a colour match issue but it might be less noticeable if it isn’t glossy.
my clean magic eraser?