[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7173 posts
3419 upvotes
Germany

Suggestions for replacing recessed lighting

Hey all,

We have these recessed lights right now in our house and are looking for something a little brighter. Any ideas on how hard these would be to replace? Are we going to need to replace the entire junction box or are there drop in solutions that could use the same wiring?

IMG_7125.jpeg
IMG_7123.jpeg
IMG_7122.jpeg
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1198 posts
618 upvotes
GTA
Try replacing the bulb first with a MR16 led with at least 4000k and up. Try to get some with lumens in the 400 - 500 and up range. Higher the lumens, more light output. The other number has to do with light colour.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7173 posts
3419 upvotes
Germany
lamin wrote: Try replacing the bulb first with a MR16 led with at least 4000k and up. Try to get some with lumens in the 400 - 500 and up range. Higher the lumens, more light output. The other number has to do with light colour.
The LEDs I have are 6W, 3000K, 500 lumens and 60 degree beams. I don’t think I can go any brighter without buying something like 6000K, and those are going to look way too blue.
Aug 25, 2006
243 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
you can get brighter bulbs in mr16. I've seen 9w that go to 700 lumens from feit and sylvania. Might be worth a try for simple plug and play. In my experience led's dim over time so fresh bulbs alone may make a difference if your bulbs are 5+ years old (like all mine are).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7173 posts
3419 upvotes
Germany
dbracer wrote: you can get brighter bulbs in mr16. I've seen 9w that go to 700 lumens from feit and sylvania. Might be worth a try for simple plug and play. In my experience led's dim over time so fresh bulbs alone may make a difference if your bulbs are 5+ years old (like all mine are).
Thanks! I ended up grabbing 620 lumens bulbs from Philips with a wider arc (30 degrees). It made all the difference.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2050 posts
717 upvotes
Toronto
unshavenyak wrote: Thanks! I ended up grabbing 620 lumens bulbs from Philips with a wider arc (30 degrees). It made all the difference.
Got a link? I'm currently using Philips MR16 LED bulbs from Home Depot. I like them, but the beam I think is 35 degrees.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7173 posts
3419 upvotes
Germany
dassub wrote: Got a link? I'm currently using Philips MR16 LED bulbs from Home Depot. I like them, but the beam I think is 35 degrees.
I think they are probably the same light bulbs. They are an improvement over my old, narrower beams.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
3498 posts
1385 upvotes
Toronto
Glad the new bulbs worked out for you.

Otherwise I think your solution is to drop the can's themselves. Your first picture has a screw/clamp that is partially cut off in the bottom left of the photo. If you're able to drop the can out of the ceiling you could replace them with new potlights.
If you're unable to drop the cans you'd have to cut open larger squares in the ceiling, remove the old fixtures and then repair the drywall and then install the new let pot lights that you'd decide on.
Definitely way more work and more cost. So bulbs was the easy and cheap option to go.