Computers & Electronics

Suggestions for rugged Walkie-talkie (50-100 $ range)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2015 10:05 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 3, 2010
311 posts
62 upvotes
Montreal

Suggestions for rugged Walkie-talkie (50-100 $ range)

Hi there,

Any suggestion for a good walkie-talkie set or a good place to buy ?
Would like to stay in touch with the kids around the country house.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7257 posts
9331 upvotes
Scarbs
I've used the COBRA CXT 545 in urban environments, and the sound quality is very good. Better than all of the other ones we have at work, albeit all of the other ones are pretty old.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16796 posts
2463 upvotes
butor20077 wrote: Hi there,

Any suggestion for a good walkie-talkie set or a good place to buy ?
Would like to stay in touch with the kids around the country house.
What's the range? If it's only a hundred or so feet any GMRS radio will do, but if you want longer range (i.e. wooded area, semi-urban, etc.), get the most powerful set you can afford. The real range of these radios is highly inflated, my guess 1/50th or less of the stated range. So a 25 mile range radio, in reality, is probably more like 1/2 a mile in non-line of sight conditions, suburban-like condition. In a city, it's probably even lower.

Best Buy currently has a Cobra set on sale which will probably do fine for you (great reviews on Amazon too): http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/cob ... b7cc33en02
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2176 posts
386 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

Visions Electronics has these Cobras on sale at $68, maximum range in the city is 3 miles. They must mean from roof top to roof top with a clear line of sight. Could only get 1/4 mile or 1/2 km. away from the house & the radios were out of range. I returned them to Visions. Is this the typical range for a GMRS radio when used in the city, regardless of the wild distance claims made by the manufactures?
http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/categor ... XT1035RFLT
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16796 posts
2463 upvotes
Fraser River Rat wrote: Visions Electronics has these Cobras on sale at $68, maximum range in the city is 3 miles. They must mean from roof top to roof top with a clear line of sight. Could only get 1/4 mile or 1/2 km. away from the house & the radios were out of range. I returned them to Visions. Is this the typical range for a GMRS radio when used in the city, regardless of the wild distance claims made by the manufactures?
Yes, GRMS must rate their range LOS, hill-top to hill-top, with no RF interference (basically overly optimistic almost unrealistic expectations). Due to the frequencies used by GRMS, buildings, especially concrete walls cut down on signal range significantly.

1/2 kilometer is probably what one should expect in an urban environment - you may get more depending on your local situation.