Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Suggestions for small business internet?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2020 4:05 pm
[OP]
Jan 31, 2008
678 posts
275 upvotes
Toronto

Suggestions for small business internet?

Besides Bell and Rogers, are there any other internet providers?
I looked at bell, but they only provide 150Mbps in the area which I find ridiculous, (North York)... and they didn't offer anything besides what's advertised on the website.

Any other suggestions before I give Rogers a try?

Thanks!
8 replies
Nov 26, 2014
72 posts
64 upvotes
Collingwood ON
Ha - I called bell business today and they only have 5 down and 1 up in my area. How is bell so far behind the times ?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6558 posts
4092 upvotes
Toronto
lilpoorpk wrote: Besides Bell and Rogers, are there any other internet providers?
I looked at bell, but they only provide 150Mbps in the area which I find ridiculous, (North York)... and they didn't offer anything besides what's advertised on the website.

Any other suggestions before I give Rogers a try?

Thanks!
You can try Fido. Best part about Fido is no contract unlike bell or Rogers' 2 year contract.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2008
678 posts
275 upvotes
Toronto
peteryorkuca wrote: You can try Fido. Best part about Fido is no contract unlike bell or Rogers' 2 year contract.
asked Fido, they don't service the area.
Asked Cannettel and they also said residential only.

Might be stuck with the big companies and paying higher ... thanks for the suggestions. Going to keep looking, not too urgent.

Worse case scenario, stuck with rogers/bell for 100/m for 3 years, but with their gigabit networks and "potentially" increase prices annually :\
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6558 posts
4092 upvotes
Toronto
lilpoorpk wrote: asked Fido, they don't service the area.
Asked Cannettel and they also said residential only.

Might be stuck with the big companies and paying higher ... thanks for the suggestions. Going to keep looking, not too urgent.

Worse case scenario, stuck with rogers/bell for 100/m for 3 years, but with their gigabit networks and "potentially" increase prices annually :\
If you have existing cable outlet in your office, you can try bringing your own Rogers modem from home and try if line isn't disconnected. Rogers stop disconnecting lines 20 years back so all cable outlets should be active unless yours is 20 years old.

If home modem works, buy Fido using business name with home address and you can change when better deals comes. Honestly, 3 years contract sucks.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1650 posts
1674 upvotes
Markham, ON
peteryorkuca wrote: If you have existing cable outlet in your office, you can try bringing your own Rogers modem from home and try if line isn't disconnected. Rogers stop disconnecting lines 20 years back so all cable outlets should be active unless yours is 20 years old.

If home modem works, buy Fido using business name with home address and you can change when better deals comes. Honestly, 3 years contract sucks.

I don't think it goes back 20 years.

More like 3-5 years ago when the entire cable network was moved over from analog to digital.
Feb 19, 2005
197 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
Rogers have promotions going on now. Call to check with them. Since moving customer service to Canada it is much better.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2008
678 posts
275 upvotes
Toronto
peteryorkuca wrote: If you have existing cable outlet in your office, you can try bringing your own Rogers modem from home and try if line isn't disconnected. Rogers stop disconnecting lines 20 years back so all cable outlets should be active unless yours is 20 years old.

I ended up signing up with VM.
I agree with you on the contract part...I'm fairly certain deals will be out soon (BTS or Back to Normal after COVID....or even BF deals in a few months). Will sign up for something once that happens...
Paying a bit more for no contract and no other BS fees seems to be my best bet right now.

Thanks!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)