• Aug 11th, 2021 2:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16632 posts
5193 upvotes
Toronto

Suggestions for a Tablet

I currently have the Pixel 5 and wanted to get a tablet for the home. Ideally, I would like to use the tablet for everything except actually making phone calls. The apps I use often are:

- Signal messenger
- Whatsapp
- Texting app that is on my phone
- A bunch of other applications
- Chrome browser

In the past, I had the iPad Air and it was a good tablet with a great antireflective screen. The reason I sold it is that I found that I still had to use my phone for various things and really wanted to avoid using 2 devices.

What tablet would you guy suggest? Is this new Amazon 10 inch tablet any good, and can I add the Google Play Store to it easily?
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08F5Z44BV
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7540 posts
8112 upvotes
Vancouver
The Amazon Fire HD10 is a good budget tablet. It runs FireOS, which is based on Android, but not quite Android. You can easily install the Google Play Store and run almost any Android app, but expect occasional quirks and limitations due to the slight difference.

You might find it hard to run apps like WhatsApp/Signal/texting on a non-phone without a SIM card.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1394 posts
1012 upvotes
Mississauga
hightech wrote: I currently have the Pixel 5 and wanted to get a tablet for the home. Ideally, I would like to use the tablet for everything except actually making phone calls. The apps I use often are:

- Signal messenger
- Whatsapp
- Texting app that is on my phone
- A bunch of other applications
- Chrome browser

In the past, I had the iPad Air and it was a good tablet with a great antireflective screen. The reason I sold it is that I found that I still had to use my phone for various things and really wanted to avoid using 2 devices.

What tablet would you guy suggest? Is this new Amazon 10 inch tablet any good, and can I add the Google Play Store to it easily?
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08F5Z44BV
sold my ipad air and got a fire tablet 10 (new one)

i use it for teams and pressreader to read stuff. tried plex and it worked
has a browser built in
think the most popular stuff will be present on any table these days

i may take a peek to see what other cheap ones are avail as the screen is a bit smaller than ipad but happy overall with it
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2011
1024 posts
479 upvotes
Toronto
There are texting apps like TextNow that will work over wifi. Whatsapp will work too. Just register it to your landline number. (Your friends have to have this number in their Contacts.) You can use Fongo for actual phonecalls (free).

For a tablet, I would go for a mid-range Samsung.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37372 posts
5238 upvotes
Winnipeg
I hear the Mi tab 5 and 5 pro is coming out. Spec is snapdragon 700 chip with 6gb of ram.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1986 posts
1123 upvotes
the problem with whatsapp on the tablet is that once its on the tablet you cant use it on the phone so its kind of pointless if you want to message someone while you are out. You might be able to use the whatsapp web interface on the tablet? I would think that should work.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24347 posts
31237 upvotes
I'd definitely go for the Fire HD 10 (2021) when it goes on sale, or grab it discounted on eBay.

You can use the Fire Toolbox on XDA Forums to turn it into a regular Android tablet, super easy.

The Samsung A7, which is comparably built, is significantly more expensive.

Good luck and God bless.