• Jan 13th, 2021 1:07 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
163 posts
23 upvotes

Suggestions/Thoughts if i have to replace already Fished-in cable

Experts,
Looking for some ideas/suggestions please.
Say, in my home theater room, old HDMI cable between my ceiling (suspended not drywall) mounted PJ & my receiver. My requirement is just to replace this old HDMI cable by a new one.
What are the best & simplest ways i can do? I am thinking to just tape one end of old hdmi with new one tie together and just pull other end without any tools.
Is it the right approach or any other thoughts pls?
5 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
If suspended ceiling tiles then it should be easy just to send a new one through. Leave the old one there if need be.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9475 posts
3757 upvotes
nowhere2010 wrote: Experts,
Looking for some ideas/suggestions please.
Say, in my home theater room, old HDMI cable between my ceiling (suspended not drywall) mounted PJ & my receiver. My requirement is just to replace this old HDMI cable by a new one.
What are the best & simplest ways i can do? I am thinking to just tape one end of old hdmi with new one tie together and just pull other end without any tools.
Is it the right approach or any other thoughts pls?
This is how I always do it. Just tape well, as you don't want it to come apart while still in the wall.

don't pull really hard, if it gets hung up, push it back a bit, and wiggle it / turn it around to try to change its angle of approach to the obstruction.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8691 posts
5618 upvotes
Kootenays
I would try your method first and if it gets hung up, then check in the suspended ceiling. If you measure the cable accurately, you'll know exactly where it gets hung up and can free it by just moving one tile. It might be worthwhile to join the 2 cables with a coupler https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2781 to protect the cable end, then tape the whole connection.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9475 posts
3757 upvotes
ANother thing.,...

Tie a long string to the end that will go into the wall, that way if you get stuck, and can't get unstuck, you can still pull it back to its original state, then try again the other direction.