Suggestions for Tile Retailers?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2021 9:15 pm
[OP]
Apr 1, 2021
28 posts
17 upvotes

Suggestions for Tile Retailers?

I'm looking for large tiles (24" x 48" or larger) and would welcome any suggestions for decent tiles at a good price, e.g. $5/sqft or even lower. My contractor has a 40% discount at Olympia but the tiles are pretty basic for our tastes. I've looked through past threads but the recommendations seem to be for stores that sell mostly smaller tiles. I'll probably end up buying at Ciot or Rivalda but am looking to RFD wisdom first before I settle.

Thanks!
14 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3513 posts
1704 upvotes
Mississauga
I got 24x48 from Factory tile depot .
You can see it in my bathroom thread
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7351 posts
3063 upvotes
Check out Moscone, same Jane St stretch as Rivalda and Ciot. Some interesting tiles, top $$.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7250 posts
2835 upvotes
GTA
Kiraly wrote: @bitumen Deals can vary locally, so you should post your location. I'm guessing you are in Alberta by your username, but who knows; you might be in some far distant part of Canada like Moncton or Toronto for all we know.
OP listed Toronto area stores so must be GTA-but yeah, posters should list location when asking for local recomedations.

OP, you posted Olympia tiles are pretty basic for your tastes. Post a pic or description of what your looking for. I was going to suggest Zions Building supply, always have 2 or 3 large tiles to choose from with colours changing as stock sells out. Only issue is the 48" long tiles last time were bowed about 3/8" at the center.....I suspect that might be an issue with many cheaper brands so be careful when purchasing. The Zion tiles were packaged as their own brand, likely the same tiles are packaged as numerous brands at a factory in China.

Take a few tiles out of box at store if possible, place unwrapped tiles face to face to check if they are dead flat.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1993 posts
1723 upvotes
GTA
bitumen wrote: My contractor has a 40% discount at Olympia but the tiles are pretty basic for our tastes.
Generally when looking for tiles Ive gone to Centura and Tile Master in addition to Olympia. I think the majority of my house was done with stuff from tile master. Granted some of it needed to be imported/special ordered.

Also, the 40% discount might be for the cheaper man made stuff, but I doubt they would get that on natural stone. The discount for any tiler usually ranges based on the product.
[OP]
Apr 1, 2021
28 posts
17 upvotes
TLSRULZ wrote: I got 24x48 from Factory tile depot .
You can see it in my bathroom thread
Your bathroom reno looks great. Thanks for the rec, I'll check them out. How's their pricing? Seems like >$10 for 24x48 on their website but I know things might be diff in store/with contractor discount.
Kiraly wrote: @bitumen Deals can vary locally, so you should post your location. I'm guessing you are in Alberta by your username, but who knows; you might be in some far distant part of Canada like Moncton or Toronto for all we know.
Haha sorry I am in Toronto.
itsryan wrote: We've always been happy with https://www.tilemastercanada.com/, they have a whole section of 'clearance' tiles that have met our needs (full colour porcelain at large sizes).
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Generally when looking for tiles Ive gone to Centura and Tile Master in addition to Olympia. I think the majority of my house was done with stuff from tile master. Granted some of it needed to be imported/special ordered.

Also, the 40% discount might be for the cheaper man made stuff, but I doubt they would get that on natural stone. The discount for any tiler usually ranges based on the product.
I'm in central Toronto so pretty far from Aurora--but with multiple recs I guess I'll have to check out Tile Master. Thanks!
Zamboni wrote: OP listed Toronto area stores so must be GTA-but yeah, posters should list location when asking for local recomedations.

OP, you posted Olympia tiles are pretty basic for your tastes. Post a pic or description of what your looking for. I was going to suggest Zions Building supply, always have 2 or 3 large tiles to choose from with colours changing as stock sells out. Only issue is the 48" long tiles last time were bowed about 3/8" at the center.....I suspect that might be an issue with many cheaper brands so be careful when purchasing. The Zion tiles were packaged as their own brand, likely the same tiles are packaged as numerous brands at a factory in China.

Take a few tiles out of box at store if possible, place unwrapped tiles face to face to check if they are dead flat.
I bought a few 24x24 from Zion, they have good prices. Thanks for the advice--will check if mine are bowed. Olympia tiles seem mostly just variations of black and white. We're looking for something with interesting patterns and colours, we have a large foyer so want something "eye-catching" but not overly fringe
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7351 posts
3063 upvotes
I'm not sure what your budget is, but if it's limited, I don't think you'll find anything more interesting than what Olympia has. We just finished a reno, and I found that most "reasonably" priced tiles (sub-$15/sqft) are pretty pedestrian. The really interesting stuff was definitely more than that. We bought from a mix of places, Olympia, Moscone and Tilemaster. I wouldn't recommend Tilemaster over either of those, even on pricing, especially the Aurora location. We bought from there strictly because of convenience and no other reason. Service was pretty crappy, pricing wasn't anything special (in fact, I found some tiles even more expensive there than Olympia). I think you'll get the best mix of price (especially with a contractor discount) and selection from Olympia.

If you've got a couple of small-mid-sized spaces, and are willing to shell out a bit more, Moscone and Ciot are likely your best bet.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7351 posts
3063 upvotes
itsryan wrote: We've always been happy with https://www.tilemastercanada.com/, they have a whole section of 'clearance' tiles that have met our needs (full colour porcelain at large sizes).
Lol, they had 24x24 white porcelain, made in China, in the "clearance" for over $7/sqft, Same exact tile, made in Italy, just over $5/sqft in the regular section.

Clearance is very hit and miss.
Lucky
Jan 15, 2007
306 posts
58 upvotes
Toukolou wrote: Lol, they had 24x24 white porcelain, made in China, in the "clearance" for over $7/sqft, Same exact tile, made in Italy, just over $5/sqft in the regular section.

Clearance is very hit and miss.
I am confused by this post. If one tile was from China and one was from Italy, its not the same tile. If it was the same to you, then you could buy the non-clearance one from Italy at $5ish/sqft. Not sure how that implies that the 'clearance' section (note the quotes as it seems to include overstock items as well) is hit and miss.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3513 posts
1704 upvotes
Mississauga
bitumen wrote: Your bathroom reno looks great. Thanks for the rec, I'll check them out. How's their pricing? Seems like >$10 for 24x48 on their website but I know things might be diff in store/with contractor discount.
The 24x48 we used in the kids bathroom is retified porcelain from Spain.. $54 each at factory tile depot.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7351 posts
3063 upvotes
itsryan wrote: I am confused by this post. If one tile was from China and one was from Italy, its not the same tile. If it was the same to you, then you could buy the non-clearance one from Italy at $5ish/sqft. Not sure how that implies that the 'clearance' section (note the quotes as it seems to include overstock items as well) is hit and miss.
They were both polished white, 24x24 tiles.

Personally, and I could be wrong, I would place Italian produced tiles as superior to tiles manufactured in China. Hence, I would not consider the Asian "clearance" tiles as much of a deal, seeing as they're priced ~50% higher.

You could argue that the definition of clearance is something they're trying to "clear" out. But I usually associate it with a desire to clear out inventory by offering it at a superior price (as would most people, imo). My point was, buyer beware in the clearance section of Tilemaster. Not sure what is unclear about that.
Lucky
[OP]
Apr 1, 2021
28 posts
17 upvotes
Toukolou wrote: I'm not sure what your budget is, but if it's limited, I don't think you'll find anything more interesting than what Olympia has. We just finished a reno, and I found that most "reasonably" priced tiles (sub-$15/sqft) are pretty pedestrian. The really interesting stuff was definitely more than that. We bought from a mix of places, Olympia, Moscone and Tilemaster. I wouldn't recommend Tilemaster over either of those, even on pricing, especially the Aurora location. We bought from there strictly because of convenience and no other reason. Service was pretty crappy, pricing wasn't anything special (in fact, I found some tiles even more expensive there than Olympia). I think you'll get the best mix of price (especially with a contractor discount) and selection from Olympia.

If you've got a couple of small-mid-sized spaces, and are willing to shell out a bit more, Moscone and Ciot are likely your best bet.
Ended up purchasing at Rivalda--they have 50% off most if not all tiles, and they look miles better than anything at Olympia. We did buy some tiles at Tilemaster but I agree, the service was nonexistent and some of the folks there are borderline rude.

Thanks to all for the input!