[OP]
Feb 11, 2012
101 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto

Suggestions for used car purchase

Hi RFD'ers

Situation:
Looking for some advice on a first time used car purchase - Acura ILX 2017 premium 100k km for around 14k - private seller based in GTA

The price is pretty decent compared to the other cars on AT/Kijiji, i've mentioned I wanted a mechanic take a look (probably a mobile mechanic) and they are open to it.

Do we think prices will get better in the used market? Or will it get worse with corporate workers going back in sept? ( I need a car for when we do get pulled back into the office)

Problem:
They don't have plates or insurance on the car anymore. I can't test drive it legally or have a mechanic lift the car up. What would you do? Should I just settle and buy one from a dealership (honda/acura)

Any tips / comments would be helpful
10 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16998 posts
15607 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Low ball if you can't test drive.
May 31, 2008
238 posts
397 upvotes
Personally, I wouldn't even consider it. Not being able to test drive AND not having a mechanic do a full proper inspection would make it a hard pass for me. Buying at a dealer doesn't guarantee you will get a good car, but at least you can do basic things like test drives and inspections. This is your first car and you want it to be a positive experience. Pay a little more if you have to for the peace of mind.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
7102 posts
5965 upvotes
Benito18 wrote: Do we think prices will get better in the used market?
Only if you take oilerfan with you when you shop. :D

Joking aside, I don't think so. 2020 was a shitty year due to lower sales. 2021 is a shitty year thanks to lack of chips. Rental agencies are so short on cars that they have nothing to send to the used market and anything worth a flip are all heading across the border to US.

Now the whole getting back to work in Sep thing may not happen but it doesn't mean used prices won't remain strong.

Heck, go unhaggle.com any SUVs that right, it's not hard to find what average people pays is over MSRP for new cars.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12066 posts
4372 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't buy it if I cannot test drive it or let mechanic to inspect it.

You don't necessary have to buy from dealerships, their price are horrible.
Just search for another one on kijiji
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14137 posts
4752 upvotes
RFD
I keep hearing good things about those Lexus IS, apparently they are almost bulletproof according to Scotty Kilmer. Rev up your engines!
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
1086 posts
1698 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
No plates or insurance = straight up curb sider.

Avoid 100%

To save yourself headache, all starting Qs to any car ad should be:

1. Is the car registered in your name?
2. Is the car plated?
2. Is the car insured?

If no to any of those 3; on to the next.

Also any short term owner (<1 year) I would avoid.
May 21, 2015
990 posts
542 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
No test drive no buy.. move on.
Feb 13, 2021
86 posts
69 upvotes
radeonboy wrote: I keep hearing good things about those Lexus IS, apparently they are almost bulletproof according to Scotty Kilmer. Rev up your engines!
You're kidding right? Lol
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14137 posts
4752 upvotes
RFD
Notsojdmgc4 wrote: You're kidding right? Lol
Dude Scotty Kilmer is never wrong! Don't disrespect Scotty like that.

Rev up your engines!