• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2023 7:53 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 18, 2004
64 posts
56 upvotes

Suing LTB

In Ontario, what is the possibility to sue LTB for their unreasonable delay that cause landlord's unnecessary financial and emotion suffering. Their service standard is 25 business days to have a hearing date. Anyone tried?
Last edited by fuzzy on Jan 9th, 2023 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Jan 31, 2014
167 posts
342 upvotes
Can the LTB be sued? It's part of the government, wouldn't it have some sort of legal immunity?
May 3, 2013
751 posts
448 upvotes
Toronto
MrNobody wrote: Can the LTB be sued? It's part of the government, wouldn't it have some sort of legal immunity?
I wouldn't call it "immunity", more like sharing the same bed sorta speak.
If the plaintiff wins, the LTB may be dissolved because it would set a precedent which will open the floodgates.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1471 posts
2916 upvotes
GTA
realtorhome wrote: I wouldn't call it "immunity", more like sharing the same bed sorta speak.
If the plaintiff wins, the LTB may be dissolved because it would set a precedent which will open the floodgates.
LTB should be dissolved
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
3228 posts
439 upvotes
Mississauga
lolbeast wrote: LTB should be dissolved
ya that will solve all the problems... to many landlords blaming the LTB for bad business decisions which i find comical.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4084 posts
2566 upvotes
Ottawa
LordOfTheManor wrote: Landlord has filed…

https://soloontario.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Statement-of-Claim-Plaintiff-Kalu-22-DEC-2022.pdf

End of day, for LTB to be faster, you are going to have to pay for it via tax. Cheaper to just pay tenant to f**k off.
Surely doubling their capacity to adjudicate disputes wouldn't cost much? Simplifying evictions for non-payment could eliminate a lot of the backlog?
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1471 posts
2916 upvotes
GTA
fogetmylogin wrote: Surely doubling their capacity to adjudicate disputes wouldn't cost much? Simplifying evictions for non-payment could eliminate a lot of the backlog?
Nonpayment evictions should take like 5 minutes each and can be adjudicated by ChatGPT
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
3507 posts
1397 upvotes
Toronto
LordOfTheManor wrote: Landlord has filed…

https://soloontario.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Statement-of-Claim-Plaintiff-Kalu-22-DEC-2022.pdf

End of day, for LTB to be faster, you are going to have to pay for it via tax. Cheaper to just pay tenant to f**k off.
I hope she wins.
I think we (all) should pay for this collectively via our taxes.
lolbeast wrote: Nonpayment evictions should take like 5 minutes each and can be adjudicated by ChatGPT
This is what I don't get. When the tenants aren't even making the effort pay rent and know they are untouchable; why would any government encourage such behaviour. It only hurts tenants who do fall on hard times and can't pay. Because eventually both groups will get lumped in together and evicted together.
[OP]
Oct 18, 2004
64 posts
56 upvotes
Agreed. if a department fail to fulfill its duty, it should be disoved.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
4145 posts
4035 upvotes
Toronto
lolbeast wrote: Nonpayment evictions should take like 5 minutes each and can be adjudicated by ChatGPT
Entire LTB should be replaced by ChatGPT…it doesnt require any brain.

In fact, this is what ChatGPT said:

Here are some general principles that could be included in a fair policy for landlords and tenants:

Both landlords and tenants should be treated with respect and should be expected to treat each other with respect.
Landlords should be required to maintain the rental unit in a safe and habitable condition, and tenants should be required to take care of the rental unit and not cause damage.
Landlords should have the right to charge a reasonable rent, and tenants should have the right to a rental unit that is worth the amount they are paying.
Landlords should have the right to evict tenants for legitimate reasons, such as non-payment of rent or damage to the rental unit, and tenants should have the right to challenge an eviction if they believe it is not justified.
Landlords and tenants should have the right to privacy and quiet enjoyment of their rental unit.
Landlords and tenants should be able to resolve disputes in a fair and timely manner, through negotiation or with the help of a neutral third party, such as ChatGPT or other similar AI.
To the moon
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2002
1575 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
Did ChatGPT just try to hire itself?!
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2015
2025 posts
1756 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
If they get dissolved, all those renters that work there will be homeless.

It used to be a perk, only renters get hired by ltb.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1471 posts
2916 upvotes
GTA
f00kie wrote: Did ChatGPT just try to hire itself?!
Tried to sneak one in at the end.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1559 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
Hope something comes out of it, but I doubt it. Anyway to keep updated on when this will be tried in court and the result?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)