Suit Rental vs Purchase

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2020 12:48 pm
[OP]
Jul 31, 2018
107 posts
25 upvotes

Suit Rental vs Purchase

Fiance looking for a suit to wear for the wedding. He doesn't wear suits normally, so wondering if it's worth to just rent a suit for the day. We've looked around suits (jacket and pants) for about $300 new. How much does it cost to rent for a day? Any places to rent a suit around Markham area?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1420 posts
605 upvotes
Toronto
I was a groomsmen so really had no choice where to get my suit but I had a pleasant experience at Andrew's Formal Rentals & Sales. It was a rental for a 3 piece with shirt, shoes, tie, and a pocket square. I think total after taxes came out to ~$260 which I felt was pretty pricey - that said I'm sure there are different price tiers that they offer but I had no choice in the selection. The rental place did do some basic adjustments (shorten/taper pants, sleeves on suits, etc) so it will look more fitted than if you buy a OTR without alterations/tailoring.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5033 posts
3564 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
For a wedding, I suggest rent a really nice suit. I find a lot of people who bought the suit they wore to the wedding, don't want to wear it again which becomes a waste of money.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11446 posts
3712 upvotes
Toronto
I rented my Tuxedo including top and pants for $188 all Included for my own wedding.
It is well worth the money as I won't ever wear a Tuxedo again after my wedding.

As a guest and if you have no suit, and don't think you will wear suit often. Just rent one.
If you bought one, it will collect dust in your closet and take extra space for nothing. Keep in mind that you gained weight, you may not able to fit the same suit again years later.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3403 posts
643 upvotes
maxineli - when is the wedding? I would start with the timing and hence the availability of rent vs purchase - the trying on of suits etc. These are not normal times.
Jun 7, 2020
5 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If your husband doesn't have a suit, perhaps he can purchase a navy or charcoal suit that he can use for all occasions (weddings, interviews, work, and etc.)? I would assume it's easier to know you have a suit for the occasion, then to have to go out and rent a suit for every occasion.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2764 posts
1047 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I always wonder what people without a suit do for interviews, funerals, weddings, special occasions, etc.? Buy a nice charcoal or navy suit that you love and mix in some cool shirts and ties to keep it fresh. A good suit can last you a lifetime.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11878 posts
8134 upvotes
Edmonton
djdestroyer wrote: I always wonder what people without a suit do for interviews, funerals, weddings, special occasions, etc.? Buy a nice charcoal or navy suit that you love and mix in some cool shirts and ties to keep it fresh. A good suit can last you a lifetime.
I haven't worn a suit for an interview since I was in my 20's (I'm in IT), I don't think. And I'm over 50 now. Funerals and weddings, yes.

And a suit might last a lifetime, but for many people, it won't fit for a lifetime.

C
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
9827 posts
1030 upvotes
Mississauga
Go to suit supply and get yourself a suit not just for your wedding but your LIFE. This can be the suit you can wear to all of your future functions. Wedding, parties, interviews, dinner with your new wife.
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 35-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4101 posts
1592 upvotes
I am surprised at those rental prices. Kind of expensive!!
Apr 25, 2020
176 posts
57 upvotes
I suggest that if you are able to find a suit for rent that matches your preference, then go for it.
But if you want further custom ideas or couldn't find the best one for your special day, then buy a new one. You can sell it afterwards or rent it out :)
Penalty Box
Oct 8, 2005
5554 posts
1306 upvotes
djdestroyer wrote: I always wonder what people without a suit do for interviews, funerals, weddings, special occasions, etc.? Buy a nice charcoal or navy suit that you love and mix in some cool shirts and ties to keep it fresh. A good suit can last you a lifetime.
They work at mcdonalds and they can't afford to get married.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5390 posts
2493 upvotes
gulfstream
mebiuspower wrote: They work at mcdonalds and they can't afford to get married.
Moores...get basic black, blue or grey, shirts ties sock and shoes...you could probably get away with about $500 all in (or less) , then you have a suit, just for those times...not the finest quality, but more than adequate for all occasions.
Dec 7, 2009
388 posts
190 upvotes
B-Town
Go to Tom's Place in Kensington Market. His promotion right now is 2 suits for like $200. They won't be designer but average/decent. They have everything and they are very helpful. If you like to dicker on price, this is the place to go.
Jun 4, 2013
679 posts
235 upvotes
Vancouver
I bought a cheapo suit 10 years ago. I barely use it. I think average once or twice every 2 years so or. Wore it for my wedding as well. The fabric is for sure not the best but the fit is pretty good. I think cost about $100 dollars back then. I usually wear jeans and T shirts to work and most of them time don't require a suit so I didn't spend a lot on it.