Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
1787 posts
179 upvotes

Suit suggestions for a short guy?

So unfortunately I’m not tall but oh well, life goes on :)
I am about 5’5” and I have a very fit/athletic body, I am not bulky (that would be horrible for a short guy). Still young early 30s.

I always buy a suit OTR but lately I’m thinking I should try M2M. The suit is not for work but rather formal events or for a nice dinner.

I currently have 2 suits (slim fit) one from Hugo Boss (had to do a lot of alterations) and the other from Daniel Hechter (only the length of the sleeve was alerted). Lately was thinking of getting the CK X-Fit as its seems to fit very well to my body.

My questions…
What do you think of 3pc suit? I’ve never had one before, lately I think they are cool. I don’t know much about vest.
How about a 4 button suit? I understand that this is no longer in “fashion”. But I’m not really looking for a business suit. This may not look good for a short person?
Patterns? I prefer solid or pin/self-stripe.
Pleats? Was thinking of single and no more… OR none?
Contrast pockets, I actually like contrast button holes/threads. Oh I do not like contrast elbow pads!

Anything else?

I am up for a mix of modern and classic or modern design. Something that stands out a bit not too flashy.
14 replies
Penalty Box
Oct 8, 2005
5621 posts
1356 upvotes
Only thing with suits for shorter people is pants has to be at the right length...
Jun 7, 2009
180 posts
48 upvotes
If you can find off-the-rack that has a killer fit, that would be best value. However, I think that a short guy generally ought to be better dressed than average or tall guys. It's unfair, but that's just the way it is, unfortunately.

Do a lot of research on fit. Find out how a suit should fit, and how you like it to fit. There are some rules (e.g. shoulders, arm holes, etc) but then there are some preferences (e.g. cuff length, waist suppression). Some choices you'll have to make to ensure that you're not accentuating your height (e.g. jacket length, button placement).

I love 3 piece suits. Especially for a shorter guy, it makes you look much more "put together". You'll feel great wearing it.

No 4 button suits. Get either a 1 or 2 button suit. If you want, try what's called a 3-roll-2 suit, where the top button is not buttoned, but the lapel will actually roll over it. Very classic.

No pleated pants, please! Pleats emphasize your hips and butt. No idea why these were ever in fashion.

If you're at this stage where you're still trying to nail down the perfect suit, I'd suggest getting something a bit more subdued. Nail the fit, get a high quality fabric that will last you forever. Something that you will feel confident wearing at any time. Maybe a nice light gray with a subtle pattern. Or a classic navy in a softer fabric. A great suit ought to let you forget that you're even wearing it... You'll have confidence that you're clothes look right so you can stop thinking about your clothes and concentrate on everything else.

Finally, a completely different but related tangent-- invest in a couple pairs of really nice shoes. Wouldn't want to ruin an amazing looking suit by wearing it with a pair square toed Aldos!

Some good reading can be found at styleforum.net or askandyaboutclothes.com. I stopped reading GQ.com, they got annoying and too dogmatic.
Penalty Box
Oct 8, 2005
5621 posts
1356 upvotes
robot123 wrote: No pleated pants, please! Pleats emphasize your hips and butt. No idea why these were ever in fashion.
Uh, they're designed for comfort in mind when you're sitting down. Just because pleated pants were what people wore at one time didn't mean they were "in fashion".
Dec 21, 2009
439 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
I'm 5'8" and have had trouble finding well fitting suits so I ended up going with a custom one from Indochino and it has been a great purchase

They frequently have 50% sales so I got a full custom suit including a vest for $560

Without a vest you can get it down to $450 or even less depending on the fabric
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
1787 posts
179 upvotes
Thanks for some of the suggestions!

I'm looking at suits from Indochino and Itailor.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14931 posts
4361 upvotes
Montréal
You already know about being bulky is not a gd look for short guys so stay away from doublebreasted as same concept. No pleats also. Since you have a fit body, snug fit gives more length.

4 button never heard of them but most go for is 3 but that's out of fashion now. No 1 button unless you wanna be mistaken for a waiter. Oh, always leave last button of vest unbuttoned, just like your singlebreasted suits.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4339 posts
1824 upvotes
Four button, three pieces suit... I immediately thought of Michael Jordan and other basketball players. Or NFL players. Or black gentlemen I have seen in Chicago, and the south of the USA.

It is a look that screams individuality, but unless you have a fierce self-sense of style, I'd pass on those.

Oh, and pleated pants! Those are great for the older gentlemen like me. Sure, doesn't look contemporary, but it is 100 % old school... oldie but goldie...
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13546 posts
2344 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Three piece suits are in style these days. However, u can still look dressy and non-business like by wearing a blazer + vest.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9600 posts
1854 upvotes
Toronto
mebiuspower wrote: Only thing with suits for shorter people is pants has to be at the right length...
I had to get my jacket altered at Spier and Mackay so jacket length may have to be altered unless you're going for the Charlie Chaplin look.

There's this place if you're in the GTA, although an OTR may cost you as much as an MTM at some of the popular suit stores.

http://www.shortmanbrowns.com/en/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
1787 posts
179 upvotes
gh05t wrote: I had to get my jacket altered at Spier and Mackay so jacket length may have to be altered unless you're going for the Charlie Chaplin look.

There's this place if you're in the GTA, although an OTR may cost you as much as an MTM at some of the popular suit stores.

http://www.shortmanbrowns.com/en/
Thats awesome!!!

Challenge for me sometimes is actually the back/shoulders, they are a bit wide on my body.
Penalty Box
Oct 8, 2005
5621 posts
1356 upvotes
If you speak to any half-experienced tailor, jacket length is one of those things that should NOT be altered. If you shorten the jacket length the pockets will be out of place and out of proportion to the rest of the jacket.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
1787 posts
179 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote: If you speak to any half-experienced tailor, jacket length is one of those things that should NOT be altered. If you shorten the jacket length the pockets will be out of place and out of proportion to the rest of the jacket.
For sure that why for me I'd look for a 38S/40S
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2937 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
I am a brown version of you. 5'5, athletic body, early 30s. I've also got a wide back and shoulders.
maybe we should be shopping brahs?

Brown's has absolutely nothing for athletic cuts, mainly for large and in charge body types, and their prices are sky high.
Don't waste your time going there.

For a suit, your only option is MTM, trust me I've tried it all.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2010
1700 posts
137 upvotes
I am quite short as well, and usually Brioni fits me quite well.