Travel

Suitcase scanners broken at YYZ Terminal 1, avoid checked luggage USA!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2017 1:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4639 posts
180 upvotes
Austin/Markham

Suitcase scanners broken at YYZ Terminal 1, avoid checked luggage USA!

The scanners scanning the suitcases are broken in Terminal 1 at Pearson YYZ. The mechanism which forwards the photos of the luggage to the immigration officer isn't working. I missed a 6am flight Tues because the immigration line was frozen for 2+ hours for anyone that had checked luggage. I got rebooked on a flight 12 hours later and that one got delayed at departure too when the luggage computers failed again. This caused me to almost miss my connections (which my suitcases did miss), and not getting my suitcases until 2 days later. Other folks without checked luggage are able to bypass this issue and go directly to the immigration desk without getting delayed.

If you have to travel through Terminal 1 to USA, don't check any luggage, try to use carryon suitcases if possible. Otherwise risk of missing your flight, but even if you make the flight, your flight could be delayed due to other folks suitcases taking a while to get on the plane.

Since it happened several times in a day, I don't think this is a rare occurence. They've switched the systems, previously you would check in for the flight but keep your luggage until you get through customs, but now you leave your suitcases at the checkin counter and head over to customs without your suitcases. When you get to the immigration counter they pull up your suitcase images on the computer, but if its missing they won't process you.
Last edited by webdoctors on Aug 10th, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
5 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1271 posts
743 upvotes
Ottawa
Sorry to hear re the mess this has caused you, and thanks for the heads up.

It sounds like the problem is limited to scanning of checked luggage for U.S. flights. If that is the case, could I suggest changing the subject line to "U.S. suitcase..." or "...avoid checked luggage to the U.S."?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4639 posts
180 upvotes
Austin/Markham
houska wrote: Sorry to hear re the mess this has caused you, and thanks for the heads up.

It sounds like the problem is limited to scanning of checked luggage for U.S. flights. If that is the case, could I suggest changing the subject line to "U.S. suitcase..." or "...avoid checked luggage to the U.S."?
Fixed the title, ya folks travelling through Terminal 1 for other international locations or domestic are fine as I think Terminal 1 is exclusively Canada and USA.
__
Jan 3, 2013
739 posts
297 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for the warning. I am flying from terminal 1 tomorrow to Washington and then catching a flight to Europe. We are checking luggage and have only 90 mins between flights. Both flights are United. Hope we don't encounter delays as the connection times are really close.
Checked gtaa website and they advise to get there 3 hours before your flight for flights to US departing before 10 am. Still 2 hours for other departure times and no mention of this major inconvenience.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8715 posts
3171 upvotes
Toronto
OP what was your travel date?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4639 posts
180 upvotes
Austin/Markham
Arrgh wrote: OP what was your travel date?
August 8th, 6am Wasthington DC flight.
__

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)