None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13547 posts
2345 upvotes
City of Vancouver

Summer hats r all made of paper these days

Did the price of straw skyrocket or something? All the summer hats these days are made of paper!?!? Can someone recommend a place to get a decent quality summer hat to block out the sun? Tried on a Joe Fresh hat... it was complete garbage.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I feel you
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2007
1373 posts
663 upvotes
North York
Becks wrote: Did the price of straw skyrocket or something? All the summer hats these days are made of paper!?!? Can someone recommend a place to get a decent quality summer hat to block out the sun? Tried on a Joe Fresh hat... it was complete garbage.
I bought a hand made staw hat in US's Saks and it was US$250.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3475 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
As it happens I had to go to Bloor St. in Toronto yesterday. Recalling your post I checked out "straw hats". I saw some that clearly indicated they were made of paper (but looked "strawish"). They cost $85.00. I then saw others that were made of some form of polyester.

Then I looked at a very plain hat - it was made of flax and the cost was $420. I expect to see it on the sale racks at some point. Although the "up to 50%" off sales are now in full swing with fall hats taking up much of the space.

I wouldn't buy a Joe Fresh hat - too light, poorly made - and my head is big (and it is not the horizontal growing hair that stores that was the issue at first). My temples are wide but my head appears normal. Hence I have purchased straw and winter hats at consignments shops. In every case the hats were brand new - usually clearouts that were too big for others or were purchased by husbands etc. in the U.S. and they were too big or did not suit the ladies in question.

I try on hats everywhere. Many women of Irish descent have this issue - so I hope you have a normal sized head.

One store that exclusively sold millinery were appalled at my head. They had exactly 2 hats in the entire store that would fit my head - one cost 1000 euros, the other 40 euros - not hard to figure out which one I bought.

I now have a coat rack holding my hats which fortunately are all straw except for my 4 winter hats. One size does not fit all that is for certain. The best straw hat I ever had was made for someone who was not happy with how it looked on her - the store sold it to me for the price of materials - the woman had a big head so the store was having issues with selling it.

I even looked once at the dreaded Tilley Endurables. The saleslady insisted my head was much smaller than it is - all it took was putting a size 7 hat on my head to realize the issue.

You might have to wait until you find a good buy on a decent hat and buy it and go from there. That is what I have done over the years.

I once bought a winter hat at Roberta's Hats in Victoria. My husband had a meeting. The staff had to get the hat from the basement because it was too big for everyone else. Perhaps e-mail them to see what they have.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
4679 posts
7004 upvotes
Ontario
Tilley hats through CAA stores or Tilley.com.

Quite a few men's shops carry hats as well. Department store hats are very hit and miss. Not sure if you found any good hats in men's chain stores in malls.

Drought has struck many countries around the globe. It might not be worth the labour to harvest any straw for manufacture of hats.

Panama hats are expensive but handmade and will give you a stylish look.
2021-Be more colourful and generous.😎