• Jun 7th, 2019 2:09 pm
[OP]
May 6, 2013
704 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto

Summer Tire Recommendations

Hi all,

I am finally due to replace my stock summer tires after 5 years (also have dedicated winter setup) and looking to get some feedback. My car is no rocket but I am looking for a set of reasonably priced summers that can give me at least 2 or 3 summers of excellent grip. So far my short list is the following:

1. Firestone FireHawk 500 (good price, good reviews, fair treadwear)
  2. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (THE best, expensive, probably too much tire for my needs)
  3. Michelin Pilot Super Sports (same as above but cheaper, may be hard to find now)
  4. Conti ExtremeContacts (cheaper than above, good reviews, quick wearing tire)

Does anyone have any experience on any of the above, I am curious of your thoughts on road manners, comfort, NVH etc. Thanks!
41 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2646 posts
1008 upvotes
GTA
From what I've read, the P4S is more biased towards dry, while the Conti EC is more towards the wet, and is significantly chaeper.
A coworker has the Firehawk Indy 500 and they grip quite well and aren't too noisy either.
The PSS is older, but still a great tire.

I'm looking to get the Conti EC's next year as the price point is where I'm at and they're biased towards the wet.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
1599 posts
1466 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I'm also looking at the Indy 500 vs the PS4S for the upcoming summer. A lot of people whose opinion i trust are very very happy with their PS4S', but none of them have used the Firehawks.

The Michelins are 50% more expensive, and i find it hard to believe they're 50% better. They spend a lot of money on advertising but that doesn't mean they're the best.. When you fly press all over the place and butter them up with all inclusives, of course they're going to say your tires are amazing.
[OP]
May 6, 2013
704 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
Ecsta wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 9:00 pm
I'm also looking at the Indy 500 vs the PS4S for the upcoming summer. A lot of people whose opinion i trust are very very happy with their PS4S', but none of them have used the Firehawks.

The Michelins are 50% more expensive, and i find it hard to believe they're 50% better. They spend a lot of money on advertising but that doesn't mean they're the best.. When you fly press all over the place and butter them up with all inclusives, of course they're going to say your tires are amazing.
My thinking exactly. I am leaning towards the Firehawks as they seem like they have everything I am looking for at a good price. Will let you know once they are on the car how they feel.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2755 posts
834 upvotes
Toronto
I have MPS4S and previously had the MPSS.

They're great in the dry and wet and they last quite a while.

You'll have trouble finding a set of MPSS as it has been discontinued for 1.5-2 years.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9537 posts
1695 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If you want one of the best all season tires then check out Michelin Pilot® Sport A/S 3+

If you want dedicated summer tire then it also depends what you are doing with the car and what car its for? For example I run the Hankook RS4 which lasts long and can take the heat at the track unlike the indy 500 tires.
Michelin Pilot Super Sports also being a very good tire.
Last edited by sickcars on Mar 9th, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6524 posts
1364 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
sickcars wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 2:04 pm
If you want one of the best all season tires then check out Michelin Pilot® Sport A/S 3+

If you want dedicated summer tire then it also depends what you are doing with the car and what car its for? For example I run the Hankook RS4 with lasts long and can take the heat at the track unlike the indy 500 tires.
Michelin Pilot Super Sports also being a very good tire.
+1 on the A/S 3 for one of the best all-seasons (I have them currently on my Miata), but they are not a replacement for a dedicated summer performance tire.
Feb 15, 2003
76 posts
47 upvotes
I went from A/S 3’s to the Indy 500 and I kind of miss the Michelins. I know I’m comparing an all season tire to a summer tire but I can explain. While the Indy 500 definitely has more dry grip than the A/S 3, I find the Michelins provided better feedback. For fairly aggressive street driving, the A/S 3 grips way better than any all season tire ought to.

I have used PSS on previous cars and they were GREAT tires. From talking to friends that have run both PSS and PS4S, it sounds like the 4S is a big leap forward.

Overall I think the Indy 500 is a good tire for the price. But I think it’s a bit naive to compare it to a PS4S.
[OP]
May 6, 2013
704 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
gpomp wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 9:15 pm
I went from A/S 3’s to the Indy 500 and I kind of miss the Michelins. I know I’m comparing an all season tire to a summer tire but I can explain. While the Indy 500 definitely has more dry grip than the A/S 3, I find the Michelins provided better feedback. For fairly aggressive street driving, the A/S 3 grips way better than any all season tire ought to.

I have used PSS on previous cars and they were GREAT tires. From talking to friends that have run both PSS and PS4S, it sounds like the 4S is a big leap forward.

Overall I think the Indy 500 is a good tire for the price. But I think it’s a bit naive to compare it to a PS4S.
Curious how you find the ride comfort between the Firehawks and AS3 + ? My old car had the previous version AS3's and they had really stiff sidewalls = ride was choppy and rough to say the least. Curious how these 2 match up. I still find it hard to compare any all season to a dedicated summer tire though.

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6524 posts
1364 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Does anyone have any choices for performance summer tires to use (which would be better than the AS3's I currently have) but would provide me with better grip, but still have good life? The problem is I run 16s, so I CANNOT use Michelin PSS or 4S.

I'm thinking my only option is the Indy 500?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2661 posts
2660 upvotes
Vancouver
Grip and tread life are directly related. You can't have more of one without less of the other.
Jul 25, 2015
864 posts
707 upvotes
derass wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 11:50 am
Grip and tread life are directly related. You can't have more of one without less of the other.
Winter tires in hot temperature...
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2661 posts
2660 upvotes
Vancouver
All-season tires vs summer tires is a more simple comparison.

Summer tires are softer than all-season tires. That's what gives them more grip. But it's also why they will wear out faster.
Oct 24, 2018
238 posts
231 upvotes
derass wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 12:15 pm

Summer tires are softer than all-season tires. That's what gives them more grip. But it's also why they will wear out faster.
I'm not sure I agree with that, push your finger into an all season tire and they usually give. I've handled a fair few different summer tires and they all feel like hockey pucks to me. I'm sure once they get some heat into summer tire compounds they change a bit though, so you may be correct.

Most summer tires displace standing water a lot better than no season tires too, especially at speed. I see that as their main advantage over "mud and snow" rated tires for daily summer use.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6524 posts
1364 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
derass wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 11:50 am
derass wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 12:15 pm

Thanks.

So perhaps my question should be - what are the best performing/longest lasting summer tires that give buyers a 16-inch option?
Is my best option still the Indy 500?