• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2018 1:05 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 27, 2018
172 posts
163 upvotes

Summer tires

I'm in Quebec. I change my tires each November / April, moving to full on winter tires over the winter. I'm not interested in "all season" tires because I want the full-on winter ones.

The flip side of this is that I'm compelled to change to "summer" tires. I'm looking for a new set for next spring and I see that most retailers simply do not sell "summer" tires.

For example this page for my boring but common car has only one "choice": https://www.4tires.ca/search/tires/summer/185-65-r15, and these are "touring". I'd just like a simple tire that performs well, is durable and is not compromised by having to work in winter, as my summer set never see snow.

Should I just be looking at "all season"? Or "all weather"?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5508 posts
3026 upvotes
Toronto
Summer tires have low UTQG rating below 400. They are sticky and have good grip, some great in wet but majority superior on dry pavement traction. After few seasons, you would need to buy a new set.

Unlike all season you hate, they have UTQG rating of 600+ some have 800 and lasts really long time like the Michelin Defender. Overall, they have great wet traction, ok on dry, spins in snow.

So if you want sticky tires that lasts for 1 or 2 seasons, get that summer tires for your track car.
[OP]
Aug 27, 2018
172 posts
163 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote: Summer tires have low UTQG rating below 400. They are sticky and have good grip, some great in wet but majority superior on dry pavement traction. After few seasons, you would need to buy a new set.

Unlike all season you hate, they have UTQG rating of 600+ some have 800 and lasts really long time like the Michelin Defender. Overall, they have great wet traction, ok on dry, spins in snow.

So if you want sticky tires that lasts for 1 or 2 seasons, get that summer tires for your track car.
Thanks for the information. To be clear, I don't hate all season. I'm ignorant about tires and was under the impression that all season would wear quicker in the summer (my understanding is that winter tires wear badly at summer temperatures, and I'd extrapolated).

I just read up on the UTQG rating and see what you mean. The Altimax R43 have a rating of 700, come out top on the consumer reports tests and aren't that expensive:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/pd ... 4657p.html

I have a boring car and I want it to brake well and have durable tires, not a track car.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4258 posts
4415 upvotes
GTA
Summer tires sacrifice wet performance for dry.

So I wouldn't recommend summer tires on the average, daily-driven car. All-seasons are a better choice.

Summer tires are a good choice for performance cars that only get driven on nice days.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4671 posts
2959 upvotes
LaLaLand
derass wrote: Summer tires sacrifice wet performance for dry.

So I wouldn't recommend summer tires on the average, daily-driven car. All-seasons are a better choice.

Summer tires are a good choice for performance cars that only get driven on nice days.
Summer tires perform in wet conditions as well as all season tires unless you're buying slicks. What summer tires aren't good for is if the temperature drops below 5 degrees C. For this reason OP should by all season tires.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4258 posts
4415 upvotes
GTA
batcave wrote: Summer tires perform in wet conditions as well as all season tires unless you're buying slicks. What summer tires aren't good for is if the temperature drops below 5 degrees C. For this reason OP should by all season tires.
See my arguments here. In short, less sipes = more hydroplaning.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/m-premi ... t-2206239/
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4671 posts
2959 upvotes
LaLaLand
Is this your internet research or what you've done on your car?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4258 posts
4415 upvotes
GTA
Yeah, my car. Track days with summer tires. When the track is damp in the morning, there's zero grip.

Siping isn't some kind internet myth, it's science. Why do you thing winter tires have a ton of siping, summers tires hardly have any, and all-season tires are in the middle. Why do slick tires hydroplane in the wet? Because there's no siping to evacuate the water.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5508 posts
3026 upvotes
Toronto
batcave wrote: Summer tires perform in wet conditions as well as all season tires unless you're buying slicks. What summer tires aren't good for is if the temperature drops below 5 degrees C. For this reason OP should by all season tires.
He has slicks. My summer only tires are great in wet as well as sticky in dry pavement. It's classified as summer only but maybe the Conti sportconti6 are inferior summer tires.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4671 posts
2959 upvotes
LaLaLand
peteryorkuca wrote: He has slicks. My summer only tires are great in wet as well as sticky in dry pavement. It's classified as summer only but maybe the Conti sportconti6 are inferior summer tires.
Slicks ate good for donuts! Face With Tears Of Joy

I currently have BF Goodrich summers, but had Michelin PS before and loved both of them on wet pavement.

The other thing about summer tires is storage. They have to be kept in temperature above 5 degrees C, or ideally warmer, otherwise the rubber compound will degrade and could be even dangerous to use after. If they can't be stored in a temperature controlled environment, they will only be good for one year.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11536 posts
3247 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
You probably want something like a Continental DWS or similar tire which would be good. Or maybe a Michelin pilot sport etc if you want performance.

I run the Hankook RS4 tires in the summer but I also track it. They are amazing in the dry but in deep water they are not as good as all seasons.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5508 posts
3026 upvotes
Toronto
Here is good video for those interested in Michelin summer tires.

Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4258 posts
4415 upvotes
GTA
My Bridgestone RE-71R are not slicks. They are extreme high-performance summer tires. Slicks are still another 3 performance categories higher.

Michelin doesn't make an EXP, but the RE-71R's would slot in between the Cup 2 (semi-R) and the PS4 (max-performance summer). That video doesn't compare against any all-season tires, but you can still see the trend that as tires gain dry performance, they lose wet performance.