Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2964 posts
1541 upvotes
Calgary, AB

Summer Veg recipies

For those with vegetable gardens, if you're anything like me, you've got a glut of fresh veg. What are your favorite recipes and uses for them?

We seem to spend most of the time roasting veggies and then pickling things like beets and shallots, but there's only so much roasted veg we can eat...

Last night we made Chicken and Broccoli stirfry, adding carrots, peas and zucchini. We've also been using zucchini cut into thin slivers to garnish spaghetti and pasta recipes.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1493 posts
1023 upvotes
Ripley
Freeze them.

Carrots, peas, beans, corn, peppers are easy to freeze. Zucchini I make zucchini bread and then freeze it. I used to freeze shredded zucchini for bread but it would all end up at the bottom of my freezer. Now I just make the bread. Tomatoes I make into sauce and then freeze the sauce.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3131 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
Vegetable hash

Thinly sliced new potatoes / carrots
Garlic Scapes / young garlic / onions
Zucchini / Summer Squash

Top with sunny side eggs or scrambled egg whites
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18060 posts
12779 upvotes
Markham
Summer time..so it's Grilling time for meat and veggies and flat breads and naan.

Check out this thread

what-you-having-dinner-pics-2095571/89/

and specifically click on person below to see their posts.

@cRaZyRaVr is the King of veggies IMO. His meatless Monday pics are special!
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4822 posts
2954 upvotes
Milton, ON.
gr8dlr wrote: Summer time..so it's Grilling time for meat and veggies and flat breads and naan.

Check out this thread

what-you-having-dinner-pics-2095571/89/

and specifically click on person below to see their posts.

@cRaZyRaVr is the King of veggies IMO. His meatless Monday pics are special!
Which reminds me that I havent posted anything in a while in that thread. Meatless mondays are still a thing for sure.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
I am getting rid of my zucchinis by thinly slicing them with a mandolin & cooking them in chicken fat with seasonings, then cracking a couple of eggs on top, putting a lid on for 5 minutes for poached eggs.

I have a problem with excess cucumbers. I julienne them & make them into salads with red pepper, cilantro, mint & nuoc cham, or avocado, pickled ginger, soy sauce & wasabi dressing. Add a side of jasmine rice & for the entrée, a pork chop or a can of Old Fisherman sweet chili eel (this is the black bean version but Walmart has both) https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/roasted-da ... 0196474147

I have oodles of parsley & make tabbouleh with bulgur, Club House dry minced garlic, Selection dry minced onion, lemon juice, Tamam falafel or couscous spice https://www.nofrills.ca/falafel-spice/p/21219622_EA

Carrots & baby potatoes I toss with chicken fat & seasonings & roast for 40 minutes at 400 F on parchment.

Tomatoes I am using fresh in salads and sandwiches but anything left over goes into beef broth soup/stew, often with diced blade steak, or spaghetti. I am going to make a beef mushroom barley soup & that is always good with a bit of tomato.

I am going through the green onions in potato salad with eggs, mustard, mayo, diced dill pickles, seasonings. that is a big hit here & the green onions make it.
Feb 11, 2009
389 posts
147 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
salad, lots of salad. We even harvest the purslane near the pavers and they are really good in salad.

Also made roasted tomatoes. For spicy chili peppers, I air dry/slow roast them and they last a whole year. This year, I grow more hot peppers and may try to make hot sauce or chili oil.

I cut zuchinni into thin matchsticks and make korean pancakes with them. BBQ on the grill is also great. Specially thickly sliced zuchinni/yellow summer squashs and shishito peppers.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2639 posts
2193 upvotes
GTA West
Grated zucchini fritters. Zucchini cake with lemon icing - amazing!

My wife used the "white" middle east type marrow squash for stuffing with rice and bit of ground beef, with a Greek-type egg/lemon sauce. I think that is a common Greek/Lebanese/Syrian etc. recipe. We will grow more of this next year and less of the green Italian type.

For tomatoes, I love them fried in Olive oil until they are caramelized then spooned onto fresh Afghan bread - very simple. And I love them in a simple salad with olive oil and our fresh garlic, etc. I am growing several varieties this year and they are all producing well.

Those productive Marconi (Italian Flat) beans are so versatile - e.g. sauté with garlic or in tomato sauce.

We have a new veggie this year: "Winged Beans", a tropical bean. I doubted we could grow them here in zone 6 and I really babied them but they are producing now with the sultry weather. My wife is going to cook them for me with her Filipino recipe, so I am looking forward to that.

Eggplant, long beans, peppers. My wife started making Indian Sambar-type lentil-based stews using the Sambar powder they carry in Asian stores. An easy vegetable dish that stores well and you can throw any veggie into it.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19662 posts
6603 upvotes
Toronto
I don't have a garden myself, but if I did, SOUP would be the biggie for me. You can mass produce a bulk amount of soup and freeze it.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3937 posts
3793 upvotes
Toronto
Pasta dishes and sauces, simple 4 or 5 ingredient ones. Fresh and quick dinners.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2639 posts
2193 upvotes
GTA West
shoppingBear wrote: salad, lots of salad. We even harvest the purslane near the pavers and they are really good in salad.

Also made roasted tomatoes. For spicy chili peppers, I air dry/slow roast them and they last a whole year. This year, I grow more hot peppers and may try to make hot sauce or chili oil.

I cut zuchinni into thin matchsticks and make korean pancakes with them. BBQ on the grill is also great. Specially thickly sliced zuchinni/yellow summer squashs and shishito peppers.
Purslane is the main weed in our garden, and we have lots of it. I don't know if I can convince my wife to try it. Do you eat it by itself or only to add crunch to the salad? It seems very succulent-y.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22890 posts
21732 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Most of our kitchen garden harvest is intentionally designed to be frozen.
We only grow a few things that are meant to be eaten fresh off the vine in salads etc.
(Lettuce, Cucumber, Cherry Tomatoes)

Extra herbs get frozen in water or oil (depending on the herb)
Or dried.
What I grow in the Summer … lasts me thru the Winter.

Most of what we grow is tomatoes, peppers, & herbs.
And the majority of that gets cooked up into Tomato / Spaghetti Sauce come the cooler days of early Fall.

Any Beets, Beans, Peas, Carrots, etc tend to rarely make it to the freezer
Those that do … usually end up in Soup made with Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey.

Our Garden isn’t very big.
It started out as a Herb Garden.
Cuz that’s where we saw the best return … both in harvest as well as cost savings.
Other items have gotten added on over time.
Mostly as a hobby … and to give us some fresh salad items.
Cuz tomatoes & peppers are so prolific … we’ve just found the easiest way to use them up is by making Homemade Tomato Sauce
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Purslane is the main weed in our garden, and we have lots of it. I don't know if I can convince my wife to try it. Do you eat it by itself or only to add crunch to the salad? It seems very succulent-y.
It tastes cucumber-y. Not that anyone here has a shortage of cucumbers. Borage is another tasty salad green.

Another tasty weed is lamb's quarters, which should be huge by now. The leaves can be cooked like spinach & have excellent flavour.
Feb 11, 2009
389 posts
147 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Purslane is the main weed in our garden, and we have lots of it. I don't know if I can convince my wife to try it. Do you eat it by itself or only to add crunch to the salad? It seems very succulent-y.
I tried to transplant mine to the squash pots before I ate them. But my husband made a salad with the one right off the pavers and they tasted fine. Just wash them really well.
I add them to salad for the crunch and the mild cucumber flavor. I also grow Borage to attack pollantors and I also added the flower to salads.

For purslane, I used them with watercress, cherry tomato, cucumber in a balsamic dressing. Also used it last time in a creamy dressing (again sungold tomato, radish, blanched beans and some basil and mint) .
I saw recipes online to steam them and serve them alone. Have yet to try it that way. Saw some pictures of fancy restaurants using them in diff salad (e.g. watermelon salad with feta and mint)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2964 posts
1541 upvotes
Calgary, AB
lecale wrote: I have oodles of parsley & make tabbouleh with bulgur, Club House dry minced garlic, Selection dry minced onion, lemon juice, Tamam falafel or couscous spice https://www.nofrills.ca/falafel-spice/p/21219622_EA

Tomatoes I am using fresh in salads and sandwiches but anything left over goes into beef broth soup/stew, often with diced blade steak, or spaghetti. I am going to make a beef mushroom barley soup & that is always good with a bit of tomato.
We have large amounts of parsley as well and made numerous pesto sauces with it. The sauces are now in the freezer.

Our rutabaga did well this year so we're using it as a replacement for potatoes (mash). It makes a great mash.

Tomatoes have been roasted and then blended before turning into a Bolognese sauce (adding shallots, herbs and carrots). They always end up ripening at the same time here.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4822 posts
2954 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Andy34 wrote: We have large amounts of parsley as well and made numerous pesto sauces with it. The sauces are now in the freezer.

Our rutabaga did well this year so we're using it as a replacement for potatoes (mash). It makes a great mash.

Tomatoes have been roasted and then blended before turning into a Bolognese sauce (adding shallots, herbs and carrots). They always end up ripening at the same time here.
Rutabagas are soooo underestimated. I love steaming / microwave with a sweet potato (about 1:0.25 ratio) and mashing for more coarse texture OR into a blender for a smooth pure. The rutabagas give nice nutty taste and the sweet potato adds nice sweetness. All I add is salt / pepper / smoked paprika. Already have about 10lbs of this in my freezer cause last week rutabagas were $1 / 10lbs :)