• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2020 10:17 am
Tags:
Jul 15, 2013
269 posts
5 upvotes
toronto, Ontario

summons notice for 2nd dwelling

I received a summons notice for a 2nd dwelling. The city inspector said to remove the stove and have an ESA cert to verify the work was completed. I was late to submit this and now Im ordered to appear in court. Does anyone have a good lawyer they can recommend in the GTA? And does anyone know what the fine would be?

Thanks
14 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
And removal of the unit. So a really expensive mistake of missing the deadline.

Yeah, yikes!
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Jul 15, 2013
269 posts
5 upvotes
toronto, Ontario
Thats the max charge but what would be a realistic ruling by the court in Ontario.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Macspeed wrote: Thats the max charge but what would be a realistic ruling by the court in Ontario.
As with anything if you have a reason you were late, you might get told not to be late next time. If you dicked around and have zero proof of you trying to get someone in to do it, it could be really bad.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Try going in person to building/by law office. Explain it was done, provide (ESA) proof-they might drop court case.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1187 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
Macspeed wrote: I received a summons notice for a 2nd dwelling. The city inspector said to remove the stove and have an ESA cert to verify the work was completed. I was late to submit this and now Im ordered to appear in court. Does anyone have a good lawyer they can recommend in the GTA? And does anyone know what the fine would be?

Thanks
Something doesn't add up. I've had a few former clients that received summons, but the letter was given months in advance before the inspector took action. Did you literally have a few days to take action for this letter or did you have this in your possession for a few months?
Project 708
Architectural Pencil Pusher
Jul 15, 2013
269 posts
5 upvotes
toronto, Ontario
Faemow wrote: Something doesn't add up. I've had a few former clients that received summons, but the letter was given months in advance before the inspector took action. Did you literally have a few days to take action for this letter or did you have this in your possession for a few months?
The work was completed a week after I received the notice and did comply with the request. I have receipt proof plus the electrician who did it(a week after). My mistake was not to submit that documentation to the city inspector.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
2188 posts
1681 upvotes
Macspeed wrote: The work was completed a week after I received the notice and did comply with the request. I have receipt proof plus the electrician who did it(a week after). My mistake was not to submit that documentation to the city inspector.
But did you get an ESA Certificate of Inspection as per the summons?

"Receipt plus the electrician" may not cut it.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Macspeed wrote: The work was completed a week after I received the notice and did comply with the request. I have receipt proof plus the electrician who did it(a week after). My mistake was not to submit that documentation to the city inspector.
If you have everything they asked for, go show it to them and they should drop it.
Jul 15, 2013
269 posts
5 upvotes
toronto, Ontario
bizzyseller wrote: But did you get an ESA Certificate of Inspection as per the summons?

"Receipt plus the electrician" may not cut it.
Yes, I have the ESA Certificate.
May 15, 2017
286 posts
303 upvotes
Macspeed wrote: Yes, I have the ESA Certificate.
So, what are you waiting for?

Or would you rather hire a lawyer and go to court?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Go to court and do this yourself, no need to hire a lawyer. I'm sure you'll be fully prepared.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Go to court and do this yourself, no need to hire a lawyer. I'm sure you'll be fully prepared.
Not sure if serious....
Jul 31, 2017
510 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote: Not sure if serious....
I can see the sarcasm dripping off the post from here, you really needed to ask?