• Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2020 2:13 pm
[OP]
Feb 26, 2018
8 posts

Sump Pump Issue

Hi All,
Almost 5 year in this house. Suddenly the sump pump is very active for last 1 week. Whenever it rains, it's pumping out water every 20 minutes. Also, have observed that the incoming drain pipe in the sump pit gets empty in 4-5 hours but the water is coming from the sump basin wall . I called waterproofing guy and he told me that usually there will be holes in the sump basin and water is coming from there.

It's running every 1 hour and no rain(water coming in from sump basin wall holes) for past 1 day. The pump is pushing the water outside within 2 feet to the wall. never happened in past 4 years

Any idea on this .
Images
  • 20200408_210952.jpg
  • 20200408_204628.jpg
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2362 posts
1333 upvotes
Alliston, ON
You need to extend the discharge pipe outside the house. Run it away from your house maybe to somewhere in your front lawn if that's the closest area. You're basically just letting the water filter back down into your sump pit after its pumped out in an endless loop.
[OP]
Feb 26, 2018
8 posts
Thanks, I am planning to do it. It just that I don't know which extension pipe should I buy

Also,my only worry is that the water is now not coming into the sump pit via the drainage pipe but from the sump basin wall holes
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4298 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
schade wrote: You need to extend the discharge pipe outside the house. Run it away from your house maybe to somewhere in your front lawn if that's the closest area. You're basically just letting the water filter back down into your sump pit after its pumped out in an endless loop.
+1

Move that splashpad to the left so that the water hits it, but this just gains you a foot of distance compared to discharging it on the ground. If this is a pathway where you normally walk on and you just want a cheap, quick fix, you can buy a 22-1/2 degree street fitting and a long length of pipe and just friction fit for now temporarily so that water isn't discharged close to the house,

Later, you'll need to decide where you want to dump the water and drain it appropriately.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2362 posts
1333 upvotes
Alliston, ON
conanl wrote: Thanks, I am planning to do it. It just that I don't know which extension pipe should I buy

Also,my only worry is that the water is now not coming into the sump pit via the drainage pipe but from the sump basin wall holes
You can use some lay flat hose with a couple gear clamps to hold it on the pipe.
Or you can but a 10ft section of pvc pipe and a couple 90deg fittings and do it in solid pipe
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1385 posts
822 upvotes
Barrie ON
This is made for the purpose and costs $6.17. My outlet pipe did not have the elbow, so the hose slid right over the pipe. You may have to make some type of adapter , or perhaps the larger 1.5" hose might fit over the elbow.

Home Depot Link