Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2002
13524 posts
4710 upvotes
Tri-Cities (BC)

Sun Sui Wah Restaurant

Today was grandpa bday and we to Sun Sui Wah for dinner, the bill in the end after tax is $475.xx and then my dad paid a total of $515 then just before we go out the door, the captain came and ask us for more tips, that is very unacceptable...yes even thou most asian restaurant prefer 10% of tip (but not required)...

i mean $40 of tips is already good and it should be 10% before the tax and NOT 10% after the tax right?

guess what?! they said "the dessert was FREE" (said it 2 times too) and we didn't understand it before; then the captain said "people usually pay 10%" on it and urs isn't even 10%, he even brought out a calculator to show my dad what is the freaking 10% is...my dad did ask back how much u guys want; then he was like "up to you" then the whole asking back was extremely ridiculous to me...then in the end, my dad did over-tipped...he topped it to $525...
=^.^= Past Wins:
[2019] SFL: 1 Year / [2021] Sbux Summer: 1 Week Bakery, Flipp Appinions: IOGO Survey, $20 GC
[2022] Sbux Summer: $100 e-Gift Card, SFL: 100 Stars
[2023] Sbux Summer: Multiple GCs totaling $135 (family), SFL: $20 GC
98 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1257 posts
67 upvotes
North Vancouver
BestOffer wrote:Today was grandpa bday and we went there for dinner, the bill in the end after tax is $475.xx and then my dad paid a total of $515 then just before we go out the door, the captain came and ask us for more tips, that is very unacceptable...yes even thou most asian restaurant prefer 10% of tip (but not required)...

i mean $40 of tips is already good and it should be 10% before the tax and NOT 10% after the tax right?
$40 on a $475 bill is pretty chintzy, especially for a restaurant like Sun Sui Wah. I find service at that place is pretty good and always tip more for good service - so maybe Dad did undertip.

It drive me nuts that people think they can cheap out on tips at Chinese restaurants, just because it is a Chinese place.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1301 posts
It is tips before tax. So that be about $42 tips, and your dad exceeded that amount.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2006
4791 posts
154 upvotes
Etobicoke
how can an employee come and ask for more tips? thats ridiculous.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1257 posts
67 upvotes
North Vancouver
callous wrote:It is tips before tax. So that be about $42 tips, and your dad exceeded that amount.
Should have been $444 before tax (if they did charge GST), assuming that there wasn't any booze on the bill. How does $40 exceed $42?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2004
3097 posts
206 upvotes
British Columbia
M.D. wrote:how can an employee come and ask for more tips? thats ridiculous.

That's what I'd like to know. That's pretty stupid if you ask me.
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2002
13524 posts
4710 upvotes
Tri-Cities (BC)
Jumbotron wrote:$40 on a $475 bill is pretty chintzy, especially for a restaurant like Sun Sui Wah. I find service at that place is pretty good and always tip more for good service - so maybe Dad did undertip.
ummm...Sun Siu Wah isn't that good of a service and that the food isn't that/extremely good; every year, my grandpa wants to go there...every year the food is getting worst; for that price, there are MANY place that would offer at least a 'live fish' on the 10-person menu, in which they didn't yesterday; shark fin soup was awful, so watery and green-grey shark fins whereas hey should be clear not colored...

further more; their name is quite loud in richmond but they their food wasn't that good; like i said, it gets worsen every year...
Jumbotron wrote:It drive me nuts that people think they can cheap out on tips at Chinese restaurants, just because it is a Chinese place.
i didn't think we can cheap out tip at a cHinese restaurants, but many places would offer far better services; and i think (could be my bias) but i am chinese but i would like good services from canadia/american restaurants...aka The Cannery Seafood Restaurant...i over-tipped for that restaurant cuz i think they deserve more...
how can an employee come and ask for more tips? thats ridiculous.
EXACTLY.
Should have been $444 before tax (if they did charge GST), assuming that there wasn't any booze on the bill. How does $40 exceed $42?
yes GST included in that price already; nope booze on the bill...10% is preferranble BUT NOT REQUIRED...

is just like in HK, restaurants already added the 10% 'tips' in the grand total and i told parents they didn't have to pay more esp 'some' didn't deserve the tips when the services was horrible; i think is ridiculous to to pay another few bucks ON TOP of the already'ed 10% tip...
=^.^= Past Wins:
[2019] SFL: 1 Year / [2021] Sbux Summer: 1 Week Bakery, Flipp Appinions: IOGO Survey, $20 GC
Apr 10, 2006
281 posts
1 upvote
I usually tip 10% on the final total inc. tax and try to round up to the nearest dollar. More if the service was good. I do find that most restaurants Chinese and otherwise do provide adequate service and therefore I tip accordingly. On parties of 8 or more we go with at least 20%. Only once have I ever had an employee ask us for a tip and that was because my wife didn't want to leave one because of no service. We went to a dim sum restaurant in R. Hill (forgot the name) many years ago on the recommondation of her friend near Hwy7 and East Beaver Creek rd. After waiting a long time for a table they sat us in some far off corner in another room where the push carts rarely came. She got up and had to get the dishes herself from the next room, after about 45 mins we served ourselves only 2 plates and decided to leave. Since there was no service and we didn't want to wait any longer we paid up front at the cashiers. The change was like 50 cents so I left it there, but my wife grabbed it, then the cashier yelled at her to leave tip. That's when the fit hits the shan, my wife screamed at the top of her lungs (literally) back at the cashier, by this time the whole restaurant was looking at us. The manager came out, heard what she had to say and apologized, probably just wanted us to go away. Anyways, half a year later the place closed down :lol:
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2002
13524 posts
4710 upvotes
Tri-Cities (BC)
LuckyChef wrote:I usually tip 10% on the final total inc. tax and try to round up to the nearest dollar. More if the service was good. I do find that most restaurants Chinese and otherwise do provide adequate service and therefore I tip accordingly. On parties of 8 or more we go with at least 20%. Only once have I ever had an employee ask us for a tip and that was because my wife didn't want to leave one because of no service. We went to a dim sum restaurant in R. Hill (forgot the name) many years ago on the recommondation of her friend near Hwy7 and East Beaver Creek rd. After waiting a long time for a table they sat us in some far off corner in another room where the push carts rarely came. She got up and had to get the dishes herself from the next room, after about 45 mins we served ourselves only 2 plates and decided to leave. Since there was no service and we didn't want to wait any longer we paid up front at the cashiers. The change was like 50 cents so I left it there, but my wife grabbed it, then the cashier yelled at her to leave tip. That's when the fit hits the shan, my wife screamed at the top of her lungs (literally) back at the cashier, by this time the whole restaurant was looking at us. The manager came out, heard what she had to say and apologized, probably just wanted us to go away. Anyways, half a year later the place closed down :lol:
i would say the whole 10% tip thing is not just, when you have a grand total of $50 or $5000, they would do the same amount of service anyway...other events like dinner for wedding parties, then i would say 10% is sufficient because they required almost the whole team of people serving you and ur guests and they deserve it....

oh, and usually when you eat out in a canadaian restaurant, they would have said in fine prints that 15% gratuity (is sort of tips or it is?!) will be added to the bill; so is not really required to pay extra, but when service is good, i would; no questions asked...

i also do remember that from the 24 hour publications, there was a small section that comments on How/Who to pay tips to...and i totally agreed with the author...
=^.^= Past Wins:
Apr 12, 2006
387 posts
4 upvotes
where is this place? i'm trying to figure it out by just the pinyin but its not making any sense for me

i am going to avoid this restaurant.
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2002
13524 posts
4710 upvotes
Tri-Cities (BC)
stronghold wrote:where is this place? i'm trying to figure it out by just the pinyin but its not making any sense for me

i am going to avoid this restaurant.
just click on the link that i have included...is in Richmond, Vancouver thou
=^.^= Past Wins:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
LuckyChef wrote:Since there was no service and we didn't want to wait any longer we paid up front at the cashiers. The change was like 50 cents so I left it there, but my wife grabbed it, then the cashier yelled at her to leave tip. That's when the fit hits the shan, my wife screamed at the top of her lungs (literally) back at the cashier, by this time the whole restaurant was looking at us. The manager came out, heard what she had to say and apologized, probably just wanted us to go away. Anyways, half a year later the place closed down :lol:
Your wife did a good job. :thumbs up: Tips are NOT to be taken for granted: for poor or no service, restaurants should expect humiliating or no tips. Having said that, I usually give sub-10% tips as a signal that either the food or service is not good; less if I am not going to visit the place again.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
40 upvotes
i usually just give roughtly 10% on the final total...
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
you guys deserved it for undertipping. if you didnt bring up any service issues during the meal and then undertip, that is disgusting.

and you ask how they can do that :lol: goto the states, they will chase you out to the parking lot asking for it. you've been spoiled in canada where they are more forgiving to cheap people.

you didnt even tip 10% before TAX, when its more like 15% BEFORE tax.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2039 posts
4 upvotes
BestOffer wrote:Today was grandpa bday and we to Sun Sui Wah for dinner, the bill in the end after tax is $475.xx and then my dad paid a total of $515 then just before we go out the door, the captain came and ask us for more tips, that is very unacceptable...yes even thou most asian restaurant prefer 10% of tip (but not required)...

guess what?! they said "the dessert was FREE" (said it 2 times too) and we didn't understand it before; then the captain said "people usually pay 10%" on it and urs isn't even 10%, he even brought out a calculator to show my dad what is the freaking 10% is...my dad did ask back how much u guys want; then he was like "up to you" then the whole asking back was extremely ridiculous to me...then in the end, my dad did over-tipped...he topped it to $525...
it should be 15% before tax not 10% before tax.

just cause its a Chinese restaurants doesnt mean you can tip less. I am pretty sure you are Chinese yourself right? I think this is the reason why they give better service to non-Chinese people lol (I am Chinese myself)
I think only Chinese people thinks is okay to tip 10% only at a Chinese restaurant. would you only tip 10% at The Keg ?

but ya coming out to ask for more is kinda gay.

but you have to also understand that tips are their bread and butter.

maybe if he asked you in a different way it would have been better.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
gilboman wrote:if you didnt bring up any service issues during the meal and then undertip, that is disgusting
Give me a break. Why should the clients bring up the question? Restaurants are supposed to offer good food or services in the first place. I for one won't teach them how to do their jobs better. ;p
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
teknoluv wrote:Give me a break. Why should the clients bring up the question? Restaurants are supposed to offer good food or services in the first place. I for one won't teach them how to do their jobs better. ;p
because, if you don't bring up any service issues and then UNDERTIP, you are just being cheap and they should ask for more. ;)

they are doing you a favor and teaching you how to tip :lol:
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
4158 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto
Supershyguy wrote:it should be 15% before tax not 10% before tax.

just cause its a Chinese restaurants doesnt mean you can tip less. I am pretty sure you are Chinese yourself right? I think this is the reason why they give better service to non-Chinese people lol (I am Chinese myself)
I think only Chinese people thinks is okay to tip 10% only at a Chinese restaurant. would you only tip 10% at The Keg ?

but ya coming out to ask for more is kinda gay.

but you have to also understand that tips are their bread and butter.

maybe if he asked you in a different way it would have been better.
It is usually 10% standard at Chinese Restaurants or places owned by Chinese at least in the GTA. This is exemplfied by all those AYCE Japanese Restaurants which automatically charges you 10% tips.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
28 upvotes
He shouldn't have come after you for more tip. That's pretty low class.
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)