Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9177 posts
2851 upvotes

Sunrise records

Strangely enough, this is not another store closing thread, this is a store expanding thread. A cd/record/dvd store at that

http://www.timminspress.com/2015/02/05/ ... in-timmins

There is only 5 left, but its been sold and going to expand, planning 50 by 2016
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
10 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1025 upvotes
Good for them! Physical media isn't dead - somebody just has to properly fill the retail void.

If they can offer good prices and selection I look forward to them competing in the marketplace.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5994 posts
3559 upvotes
It's not that physical media is dead, it is just impossible to carry what everyone wants.

Very difficult to compete price-wise with online vendors.

So, limited store selection and the fact that prices are usually higher than elsewhere is not a price for success.

What a store should do is become a place for bands to play with drinks and such

Have the record store open for the day and at night become a bar.

Perhaps having the store only open 4 days a week (Thursday to Sunday) would work better as well.

On nights when no band is scheduled let it become a game night place or Anime meetup location.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1025 upvotes
renoldman wrote: It's not that physical media is dead, it is just impossible to carry what everyone wants.

Very difficult to compete price-wise with online vendors.

So, limited store selection and the fact that prices are usually higher than elsewhere is not a price for success.
If they target the best moving products (new releases, $5-$10 DVDs from the distributors like how HMV has at the front of the store) they could compete well IMO.

The new owner also said he sees the store as a pop culture product option as well. There's not a lot of competition in this area.
What a store should do is become a place for bands to play with drinks and such

Have the record store open for the day and at night become a bar.

Perhaps having the store only open 4 days a week (Thursday to Sunday) would work better as well.

On nights when no band is scheduled let it become a game night place or Anime meetup location.
That's a good idea but they'd have to move all the product to the backroom or lock it up somehow otherwise the "five finger discount" would kill them.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29830 posts
15320 upvotes
renoldman wrote: Perhaps having the store only open 4 days a week (Thursday to Sunday) would work better as well.
That only solves your labor cost. The meter on all your other overhead is still running but with zero revenue generation to offset it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5994 posts
3559 upvotes
Right.

I don't think a Physical Media Store needs to operate each and every day.

Staffing makes up a large portion of a stores expenses.

The same thing could be said about other stores, not everything needs to be open 24/7 or even 8/5.

I am saying that they should build it into an experience so people want to come.

A store that is open each and every day employing people who just want a wage is not an experience. Part-time employees may be more enthusiastic and better to deal with (not to mention they may be more knowledgeable).

It's like a restaurant in the Suburbs. Yes, you could open up for the Morning or Lunch Customers. But what if opening for those hours destroys your image of a premium Dinner Restaurant?

I am arguing that employing staff who just want a wage destroys the experience of a music store.

Why does a business need to be open everyday? Yeah, it would be nice if people came in every day to buy products. But, I think building a unique, caring experience would be better.

A plain music store will fail because of the fact that employees don't care - it's just a job - and the company can not compete with online selection and prices. So, they must find an alternative way to make it profitable and relevant.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8665 upvotes
GTHA
zoro69 wrote: Strangely enough, this is not another store closing thread, this is a store expanding thread. A cd/record/dvd store at that

http://www.timminspress.com/2015/02/05/ ... in-timmins

There is only 5 left, but its been sold and going to expand, planning 50 by 2016
Music retail chain is taking over 70 stores vacated by HMV Canada. President Doug Putman says it was a ‘now or never’ decision.

Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20880 posts
14371 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
It was a good move by Sunrise. They probably got a sweet heart of the deal from the following:

1. The landlords especially those who have a former Target location in the same mall.
2. The HMV receivers especially on any warehouse stock and the store fixtures. There isn't much a market for store fixtures especially when it comes down to media fixtures/racks. They are lucky they don't have to pay to dispose of them!
3. The suppliers - with HMV going, media suppliers would be searching for someone to take up the slack for the stock they have on hand and on order.

If Sunrise would have waited, the various parties would have worked out alternative plans but by acting quickly, the various parties took the first lifeline thrown to them; hence, the now or never aspect of the deal.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9239 posts
2906 upvotes
London
Many malls have stipulations about maintaining store hours that mirror mall hours.

Retailing physical media these days is a daunting task, almost impossible, I'd say. You need a wide selection of random impulse items in a mall environment... and malls are dying. Sunrise doesn't appear to have an online sales platform. A 'ship to store' feature would allow them to have a centralized warehouse with a vast selection and attract a customer to the store to pick up more tchotchkes. Is their supply chain strong enough to support such a thing?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5994 posts
3559 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote: Many malls have stipulations about maintaining store hours that mirror mall hours.

Retailing physical media these days is a daunting task, almost impossible, I'd say. You need a wide selection of random impulse items in a mall environment... and malls are dying. Sunrise doesn't appear to have an online sales platform. A 'ship to store' feature would allow them to have a centralized warehouse with a vast selection and attract a customer to the store to pick up more tchotchkes. Is their supply chain strong enough to support such a thing?
I think today's consumers want an experience.

Anyone can go online and find music and movies. Legal or otherwise.

This is why I believe they have to change. Become a music venue of sorts.

Mall owners have to change with the times.

Of course, most mall owners are institutions and slow to act. But if they don't change they will just own buildings that have fast food joints that only really sell during lunch hours.

Maybe music venues are a poor idea as well .... I am just trying to link music consuming/buying to some experience that people will want.

I can get my sterilized shopping for music elsewhere and probably for cheaper as well. Music stores (Physical Media stores) have to adapt or die. A local store should not be competing on price with Amazon and the like. But when your store is simply a store, and doesn't offer an experience, then of course I will buy from the cheapest .... and that's usually not the local place.