Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Sunwing.ca

46% Off - Toronto to Cuba - All-Inclusive - 7 days - $655

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2023 2:49 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13297 posts
4637 upvotes
shikotee wrote: I'd guess it would have to be much less than what is charged for foreign tourists.
No, they are charged the same.

Anyway, I'll stop here. You are making full of assumptions the first time visiting.

Cheers.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Nov 21, 2012
210 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
No thanks, both gf and I felt sick from the food in Cuba last year. Looking into Mexico this time
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8024 posts
5988 upvotes
Toronto
sexyj wrote: No, they are charged the same.

Anyway, I'll stop here. You are making full of assumptions the first time visiting.

Cheers.
I'm not making any assumptions. You are.
I am speculating. The distinction being that i recognize it is a guess, and not a truth.

In any case....

Had an amazing lobster dinner at the resort.

Two of the people i have been hanging with have been heavy tipping, which lead to invites (from staff) to the small resort restaurant for dinner. Very nice multi course meal change of pace from the buffet. Left a nice tip - should be good to do this a few more times before leaving.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
28740 posts
9342 upvotes
Hamilton
cyrax1311 wrote: No thanks, both gf and I felt sick from the food in Cuba last year. Looking into Mexico this time
You can literally get sick anywhere. So what’s next when you guys get sick in Mexico? Lol
hated on but respected.
Nov 21, 2012
210 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
yao416 wrote: You can literally get sick anywhere. So what’s next when you guys get sick in Mexico? Lol
I never got sick when I was in Cancun last time and the food was much better. But next time I won't be going to a cheap resort regardless.

I don't think getting sick from a resort is acceptable though but if you would be ok with that you don't have to worry then.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7726 posts
6910 upvotes
cyrax1311 wrote: I never got sick when I was in Cancun last time and the food was much better. But next time I won't be going to a cheap resort regardless.

I don't think getting sick from a resort is acceptable though but if you would be ok with that you don't have to worry then.
you shouldn't goto mexico (or Caribbean) if you're concerned about getting sick from food . I mean there's a reason why Montezuma's revenge is a thing lol
Nov 21, 2012
210 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: you shouldn't goto mexico (or Caribbean) if you're concerned about getting sick from food . I mean there's a reason why Montezuma's revenge is a thing lol
Next time I'll check pages of reviews and not cheap out too much and hope for the best. But what we felt was very tired like we didn't want to move most likely from underdone churros. And the food was mediocre in general.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7179 posts
3421 upvotes
Germany
edge1986 wrote: I don't consider it bland. I dont need my pork to be drenched in sauces in rubs. I like to taste real food.
I don't either. I do need my food to at least be seasoned. A little bit of salt, fat, acidity and aromatics go a long way. Also, please, spare me the lowkey humble brag. If you really want, we can share our Michelin star dining or food trips (Basque country ranches were amazing) via email.
Last edited by unshavenyak on Oct 25th, 2022 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7179 posts
3421 upvotes
Germany
killbillvol1 wrote: I'm sure its super easy to find companies to sell you meat, spices, cooking equipment, fuel, construction materiel, etc when they are PROHIBITED from doing business with you AND the world's biggest economy.

The point isn't to make a one-off meal, its to make it on scale at a competitive price. Which the usual supply&demand chirpers tend to ignore the realities of when it comes to them eating a meal.
Except, they're not. I don't know how many times I need to repeat this, but food stuffs (and the equipment required for food preparation) are not embargoed. The US is Cuba's largest supplier of chicken. The embargo means that there is a 1-year ban from US ports for any ship that lands at a Cuban port carrying goods on the embargo list. What this amounts to in reality is that Russian, Chinese, European, Latin American and Canadian shipping companies have a separate fleet that makes port calls in Cuba and other countries the US flags as unsavoury.

Cuba is not a poor country by the standards of her neighbours. She would be far wealthier without the embargo, but that would matter very little because the bulk of their money gets siphoned off by the ruling class. There is a reason why NGOs will no longer bring cash aid and only do goods and services. Castro died a billionaire.
Apr 17, 2021
13 posts
25 upvotes
In my younger days I could put up with all the backwardness of Cuba. The beaches are great, good coffee and rum. If you are ok to rough it Cuba is for you. Be prepared for terrible food. The food handling techniques are concerning. I've seen many blatant cross contamination occurences with raw meat. I've also been sick in Cuba several times and there is no questions why. The beds are hard even at the "5 star" resorts (maybe 2.5 star). It is a communist country and the burocracy is painful. Expect things to be broken, not available etc. Set your expectations low...I always did but still was surprised at some of the issues. My partner and I use to joke that it's almost like they try to make the worst food. If you have a few basic ingredients you can cook up something decent. In Cuba there is something missing.
I have a little more money and a little less patience now. When I'm on vacation I want to enjoy my time off and eat decent food and not put up with BS. If you can put up with the BS ...go to Cuba...I had many great times there in my younger days. Since covid things have gotten much worse and I don't see myself making it back unfortunately.
Sep 12, 2007
579 posts
288 upvotes
Ottawa
Why is this post so off topic. OP just posted a deal that may appeal to some RFDers and we're well off the rails now.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5547 posts
1397 upvotes
Montreal
CraigC8815 wrote: I usually stick with the Barcelo chain of hotels - their food is excellent.
I just came back from Barcelo Maya Beach where the food is average at best. They couldn’t even make tasty limonades and mojitos at all of their bars and specialty restaurants.

Maybe the higher end Riviera and Palace are better but beach/colonial/ tropical all suck.

Bahia Principe was much better back in 2017 and offered free wine options at specialty restaurants.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4330 posts
3482 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
cyrax1311 wrote: No thanks, both gf and I felt sick from the food in Cuba last year. Looking into Mexico this time
LOL. How naive.
I just got back from a stay at four star Cancun resort (not all inclusive) two weeks ago. Arrived Saturday just before midnight. Tuesday at 4:00pm the firehose diarrhea and nausea started, which continued for 24 hours. I was too weak to do any thing but lay at the pool for the rest of the trip, and missed out on excursions.

I'm very cautious of what I eat and drink when abroad. Point is, you can get sick ANYWHERE, and Mexico is absolutely nowhere near the exception.
May 18, 2018
752 posts
777 upvotes
lkovacs wrote: Why is this post so off topic. OP just posted a deal that may appeal to some RFDers and we're well off the rails now.
Yep, people arguing that a $2,000 vacation is better than a $600 vacation. No shit eh?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5157 posts
3434 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
You have 2 gf?

Lucky guy!
Dec 16, 2015
474 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Some colleagues and I got sick @ Horseshoe Valley. The only thing in common was hotel room tap-water. Shit happens.
(No dis to horseshoe valley staff)
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13297 posts
4637 upvotes
PanchoVilla wrote: Yep, people arguing that a $2,000 vacation is better than a $600 vacation. No shit eh?
It actually not might be better. That's the point. They are trying to flex how they can afford a higher price for "better food".

People who pay $2000 for a beach vacat make themselves believe is worth it
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8024 posts
5988 upvotes
Toronto
It is funny how you get nickel and dimed for everything in Cuba. Was out at the discotheque last night, where on top of cover, you had to pay to piss. Memories of the USSR, though to be fair, you only had to pay for TP for number two.

Very creepy experience last night. The crew of people I was with chatted it up with some locals at a cafe, who basically were soliciting prostitution. An older couple (mid 50's) with two younger women, 1 of whom was wearing a Paw Patrol backpack, and was near certainly 15 or younger. Very attractive girl, but terrible to think how she was likely groomed from childhood.

1 Canadian, who had just arrived (and whom we randomly met while in town), was pretty hammered and it took considerable effort to dissuade him from going for it. Besides age, all sorts of other red flags (and not of the deals kind). There was another guy at the cafe who was acting suspiciously with his phone. Highly probable he would have followed along had the transaction suceeded.

For those who have travelled to Cuba - did any of you speak Spanish, or have someone who could? I would imagine this would be quite the advantage for negotiating prices. While in line for the club, met a young guy from Quebec who was staying with a local family, whose son was with him. No english - they were communicating by google translate. He did brag that through his connection, he was able to obtain much more favourable pricing everywhere.

I'm the type of person who hates haggling, so sure would love an inside track deal whisperer.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Sep 30, 2001
29587 posts
9136 upvotes
Toronto
everyone please get back to discussing the deal. if you want to debate the quality of food please use the travel or food forum.
Be kind and civil with one another