Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Sunwing.ca

46% Off - Toronto to Cuba - All-Inclusive - 7 days - $655

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2023 2:49 pm
Jul 16, 2019
331 posts
689 upvotes
HelloNanaimo wrote: If I’m going on vacation, I want the food to be great.

The food is bad. Plain and simple.
$600 for a week of all inclusive and you expect food to be “great”? Good luck….
Nov 28, 2017
802 posts
814 upvotes
Who would think Cuba would be on sale during Atlantic hurricane season?
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1848 posts
524 upvotes
Montreal
superscoots wrote: you sound fairly picky, it is more than edible, it doesn't touch Mexico or others, but if you go 4+ you won't starve
Agreed... keeping it simple is best way to leverage the great price
we stuck to fresh caught and prepared seafood fish vegetables and rice...anything that requires more complex cooking or prepared ingredients is what will get you into trouble.
Royalton in Varadero was a "decent" rating for us sometime just before pandemic hit
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17002 posts
12399 upvotes
Toronto
I really don't get all the negative comments about food in Cuba.

Rather eat rice cakes? Seriously? These comments seem to be from the same Karens & Kens that leave the ridiculous TripAdvisor reviews.

I was in Cayo Coco last December with my 8 year old son and my Mother. We stayed at a 4 star resort that was dirt cheap at the time.

We all managed to eat 3 meals a day and were never hungry.

Were some of the meals decidedly average? Yes.

My son is a very picky eater, we still managed.

The was always rice, usually chicken and pork, fruits and vegetables, bread and cheese were all fine.

Milk was bit harder as it was more like homogenized or even higher fat rather than low fat.

Yogourt, smoothies were all fine.

Omelet station for breakfast each morning was fine, there was usually bacon, ham, sausage etc.

Pizza, pasta, all were average but fine.

There were many seafood options as well which my Mom enjoyed.

The food was by no means great or fine dining, but we went with low expectations and didn't find it nearly as bad as people made it out to be.
Dec 5, 2016
266 posts
55 upvotes
Liquor and cigars are also top notch in Cuba
Dec 11, 2021
63 posts
51 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: Bingo. It’s the water. I got sick in Dominican (which cost me more than my typical Mexico resort budget) via their fruit juice. The islands lack the polish and standards that Mexico has perfected due to exposure to North American talent, and investments
Don't be mistaken... they've been exposed to North American talents and investments... It is called 50 years of WORLD Embargo... Obama the savior didn't do anything.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5153 posts
3430 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
yao416 wrote: Damn. Y’all are some picky ass eaters. Do you guys dine in Michelin star restaurants or something?
Cuba is amazing, but it's true that food is often not great.

End of story, it's still a place i really like to go.

All place have their pro and con
Last edited by vonblock on Oct 6th, 2022 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3462 posts
1604 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
We were planning to go to Cuba and split time between Varadero and Havana as we wanted a week of relaxing and a week of enjoying Havana (I'm a huge Hemingway, cigar, and alcohol fan) but the reviews about the food and lack of amenities ultimately turned me off. We ended up booking a nice place in the Mayan Riviera and flying on points.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
7561 posts
7968 upvotes
Toronto
yao416 wrote: Damn. Y’all are some picky ass eaters. Do you guys dine in Michelin star restaurants or something?
LOL... No, these picky ass eaters got sensitive taste buds from eating Michelina's crap daily, of course
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
2202 posts
2216 upvotes
Montreal
CraigC8815 wrote: Bring your own food ha ha
If tou stick to sea food (avoiding mussels) you will be fine … or not…
Avoid anything being cooked in water and all dairy product.. drink beer
❗ We buy things that we don't need, with money that we don't have, to impress people that we don't like. ❗
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
4000 posts
6256 upvotes
For the several trips I've been to Cuba, to avoid getting sick, do the following:

1.) Only eat what has been cooked ( this means, avoid the salad bar as well )
2.) Drink bottled water

Every time I go there, I see other visitors getting sick, and all of them whenever I talk to them, has always ate stuff that hasn't been cooked.
Feb 19, 2009
609 posts
879 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
My wife is convinced all these destinations like Mexico and Cuba are overrun with drug lords looking to hold up buses full of passengers at gunpoint.
Mar 24, 2016
473 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
CraigC8815 wrote: We went to a high end resort... Beaches and people are A-1. Everything everywhere is in disrepair and the food is really awful - and I am NOT a picky eater. Meat doesn't taste like meat, cheese doesn't taste like cheese, milk doesn't taste like milk, soda doesn't taste like soda, ketchup doesn't taste like ketchup ha ha etc etc etc etc. Everything is gross and we went to outside restaurants as well. Prepare to eat a lot of fruit / salads - they can't mess that up.

Honestly, spend the extra money and go anywhere else. Mexico isn't that much more expensive.
is there any similar tour for Mexico with a reasonable price?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2012
1038 posts
2290 upvotes
I was at the neighbouring resort just last week and took a shuttle over to this resort one evening just for dinner and to look around. Absolute dump of a place. The buffet has hardly any selections and there were flies all over the food. Just terrible. Ended up only eating some rice and chickpeas. Avoid it at all costs!!
2010-2022 Contest Winnings = $0
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
28714 posts
9311 upvotes
Hamilton
Saukrates wrote: I was at the neighbouring resort just last week and took a shuttle over to this resort one evening just for dinner and to look around. Absolute dump of a place. The buffet has hardly any selections and there were flies all over the food. Just terrible. Ended up only eating some rice and chickpeas. Avoid it at all costs!!
Can we get some picture of the rice and chickpeas,
hated on but respected.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2012
1038 posts
2290 upvotes
yao416 wrote: Can we get some picture of the rice and chickpeas,
No picture, unfortunately. Went straight to the buffet, saw the pitiful food they had out, ate within 15 minutes, walked around for 20 minutes, left.
Mar 24, 2016
473 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
Saukrates wrote: No picture, unfortunately. Went straight to the buffet, saw the pitiful food they had out, ate within 15 minutes, walked around for 20 minutes, left.
which resort/hotel did you go?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2012
1038 posts
2290 upvotes
bigmancanada wrote: which resort/hotel did you go?
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria. Right next door to this one.
May 13, 2009
405 posts
545 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Food quality at the resorts:

Mexico >> DR >> Cuba

I've been to all 3 and unfortunately the embargo limits the food quality that Cuba gets at these resorts. The cooks do what they can, but it's hit and miss. Cuba however has amazing beaches.

For those that are bit more adventurous, even in places like Varadero, I once rented a motor scooter and headed into town and had a meal in the city outside the resolt. Also, book a trip to Havana and you sight see and eat there.

Btw, Colombia, especially Bogota has amazing food. A bit off topic, but in case anyone goes down there.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17019 posts
4806 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
renegadeavenger wrote: For the several trips I've been to Cuba, to avoid getting sick, do the following:

1.) Only eat what has been cooked ( this means, avoid the salad bar as well )
2.) Drink bottled water

Every time I go there, I see other visitors getting sick, and all of them whenever I talk to them, has always ate stuff that hasn't been cooked.
My DR resort didnt offer bottled water. 5* fake BS. ;)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)