• Jan 4th, 2020 1:55 pm
83 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35268 posts
21259 upvotes
Center of Universe
Compensation seemed fair to me?

"Sunwing said it “compensated” passengers, though did not expand on what that meant other than saying passengers who arrived at Pearson airport were offered meal vouchers if they wanted to wait at the airport and taxi vouchers if they wanted to go back home. Hotel rooms were also offered for passengers who were from out of town, the company said."
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4316 upvotes
Conquistador wrote: It seems that they just don't learn. :facepalm:
Who are "they"? Sunwing, or their [...] customer base?

Fly joke air, get joke results...
Last edited by Mars2012 on May 23rd, 2019 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: reported/rude term removed
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2082 posts
568 upvotes
Toronto
I was just watching a programme about Heathrow. There was a problem with a Thai Airlines plane and they had to put a smaller plane to Bangkok so that mean't that they had a problem with overbooking. It was all sorted out quite amicably as some people were forced off the flight and were entitled to 600 euros compensation each which they were able to pick up straight away at the currency exchange plus the delay was only four hours for some as they were then booked on BA direct.

Can you ever see that ever playing out in North America?!?!?Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2579 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
In Cancun right now..... I was at a Blue Diamond Hotel (aka Sunwing subsidiary) but also contracted by Air Canada Vacations until Saturday. I got here Thursday but saw the notices in the lobby posted for the Sunwing pax regarding that flight. Saw quite the shit show going on with some of the reps on Friday AM and was chatting with a few of them on Friday night. I know they were taken to another hotel since WG has the inventory (the pax stuck in CUN).

Apparently Eastern Airlines who is operating flights for WG has been nothing but delays. I had the “pleasure” of flying them back in April (because all the airlines often use their competitors to move around their employees on business if they can make $$ from revenue passengers instead). There’s nothing wrong with with using older (well-maintained) aircraft but Eastern has been the exception. The 767 interiors have the old J class with the old lie flat seats- the pax around me seemed happy with it. The interiors need a good power wash and vacuum- I’ve flown LCC and airlines in Africa and have never seen such an aircraft interior in that condition. The Eastern Airlines Cabin crew was so unprofessional that I’ve yet to see behaviour like that on pretty much any airline. I can reason that scrambling to find aircraft resulting in a lot of airlines leasing from charter companies that perhaps WG didn’t have much choice OR cancelling flights / making schedule changes (sked Airlines like AC/WS seemed to take this approach). My understanding is that the have found alternate charter companies and will phase out Eastern Airlines. I saw a trade article about it (the charter company is QC based- Eastern is American- MIA based).

I’m surprised they aren’t offering cash like they did during the ice storm last year (would of thought that was a lesson learned. Having enjoyed controllable delays stuck in the airport 12+ hours with airlines over the years it’s pretty bad it resulted in the cops showing up at YYZ. Don’t know if I’m biased or not but yelling or berating a CSR (to tears) is NOT okay (and not just for an airline- I’ve witnessed/heard disgusting behaviour in stores/restaurants).

I was here on business from Thursday - Saturday now at a different hotel on a personal trip with my husband. Flights were so busy (as they always are) +/-2 days before/after a long weekend. I had to bring my husband down with me on the Thursday flight since everything was full Fri & Sat even on alternate carriers and we aren’t coming back until Wednesday because of the capacity. The theory of rebooking 200-300 pax to Toronto on different airlines (direct) is great in theory but an almost non existent option. I doubt even with a hotel provided free of charge nobody is willing to wait around in CUN for 3 days for another seat.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2579 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
cardle wrote: I was just watching a programme about Heathrow. There was a problem with a Thai Airlines plane and they had to put a smaller plane to Bangkok so that mean't that they had a problem with overbooking. It was all sorted out quite amicably as some people were forced off the flight and were entitled to 600 euros compensation each which they were able to pick up straight away at the currency exchange plus the delay was only four hours for some as they were then booked on BA direct.

Can you ever see that ever playing out in North America?!?!?Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
LOL never.

Even before the Euro compensation though I think in Europe the common overall attitude is different among passengers (even when I’ve flown Ryanair and other LCC). I have quite a few family members employed with Alitalia (who have their own infamous reputation). I never see stories like this make it to the media and my family members have shared quite a few note worthy novels (I watch/read a lot of Italian news and have spent a lot of time there and still can’t recall). I’ve been on a train during strikes (only to be told the train was going out of service at a certain stop in 30 minutes) and we along with the rest of those on the train just got off the train and figured it out.

I don’t want to be biased or paint an entire continent made up of millions with one brush but things are for whatever reason different in North America.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36101 posts
10198 upvotes
Ottawa
BrunetteGirl wrote: LOL never.

Even before the Euro compensation though I think in Europe the common overall attitude is different among passengers (even when I’ve flown Ryanair and other LCC). I have quite a few family members employed with Alitalia (who have their own infamous reputation). I never see stories like this make it to the media and my family members have shared quite a few note worthy novels (I watch/read a lot of Italian news and have spent a lot of time there and still can’t recall). I’ve been on a train during strikes (only to be told the train was going out of service at a certain stop in 30 minutes) and we along with the rest of those on the train just got off the train and figured it out.

I don’t want to be biased or paint an entire continent made up of millions with one brush but things are for whatever reason different in North America.
Europe is a different situation entirely.
After many dozens of trips to Italy, I found the Italians and their labour situation to be predictable to the point that people expect a shutdown. I was waiting for my bags at Malpensa and some of my colleagues got theirs, the carousel stopped and an announcement was made the airport is on strike. I looked around and people shrugged and left the area....normal to them LOL. I was also on a train form Milan to Venice and an announcement was made that the train would stop at Verona as a result of a strike. They even announce strike days in the newspapers.
Europe developed and the European Union enforce their passenger rights program as a result of the numerous poorly run low cost carriers that popped up. Most of the LCC have since faded away and only a few have managed to remain in business. The price wars days of 1 pound flights form England to almost everywhere in mainland Europe are long gone.
Oh and Alitalia is a whole story unto itself. How it ever stays in business is beyond me (oh wait, Government subsidy LOL).
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6512 posts
2215 upvotes
Vancouver
Sunwing is run by real scumbags so no wonder they constantly break the law. It is CHEAPER for them to just ignore the compensation law in order to avoid paying it and then going to court is still CHEAPER because out of say 200 passengers, only 1-4 may actually go to court, saving them 10,000s in compensations, even after court fees and all that. Again, Scamwing is ran by true scumbags who hide behind lawyer and grey lines in order to profit as much as they can while putting no value in their passengers. I am hoping in the future government will enact a law forcing airlines to pay for such nonsense or fine them many times over if the rules aren't followed.
In 2019 if you are still flying with Sunwing after all the coverage of them being so horrible, you are at fault. I've chosen many years ago to avoid them and help my family and friends to book other companies. I don't want to give a $1 to this airline. Others should follow. While every airline has issues, Scamwing is the worst of the worst imho. I
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2579 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Pete_Coach wrote: Europe is a different situation entirely.
After many dozens of trips to Italy, I found the Italians and their labour situation to be predictable to the point that people expect a shutdown. I was waiting for my bags at Malpensa and some of my colleagues got theirs, the carousel stopped and an announcement was made the airport is on strike. I looked around and people shrugged and left the area....normal to them LOL. I was also on a train form Milan to Venice and an announcement was made that the train would stop at Verona as a result of a strike. They even announce strike days in the newspapers.
Europe developed and the European Union enforce their passenger rights program as a result of the numerous poorly run low cost carriers that popped up. Most of the LCC have since faded away and only a few have managed to remain in business. The price wars days of 1 pound flights form England to almost everywhere in mainland Europe are long gone.
Oh and Alitalia is a whole story unto itself. How it ever stays in business is beyond me (oh wait, Government subsidy LOL).
Haha exactly! During our ice storm delayed bags were the subject of a top news story. I was in Milan last year where a dusting of snow (an inch MAYBE) sprinkled the city early AM and melted away by noon. The malls .... everything was closed due to the “snow”.

I’ve actually had the same thing happen on a domestic flight into PSR. Flight landed during a period of speculation on striking- strike actually took place within the hour of our (delayed) flight’s arrival. Cabin crew instructs as to collect checked baggage at the bottom of the stairs before entering the terminal.

As we make our way down the stairs there’s a heap of bags lying there and a crowd of people trying to locate their luggage. Apparently common practice.

Oh ya don’t get me started with Alitalia. Working for an airline myself I can’t believe some of the stuff my family tells me- makes even the worst of North American carriers’ B.S a luxury. Sadly, for such a beautiful country (I’m biased) so much corruption.
May 22, 2019
5 posts
5 upvotes
dazz wrote: Sunwing is run by real scumbags so no wonder they constantly break the law. It is CHEAPER for them to just ignore the compensation law in order to avoid paying it and then going to court is still CHEAPER because out of say 200 passengers, only 1-4 may actually go to court, saving them 10,000s in compensations, even after court fees and all that. Again, Scamwing is ran by true scumbags who hide behind lawyer and grey lines in order to profit as much as they can while putting no value in their passengers. I am hoping in the future government will enact a law forcing airlines to pay for such nonsense or fine them many times over if the rules aren't followed.
In 2019 if you are still flying with Sunwing after all the coverage of them being so horrible, you are at fault. I've chosen many years ago to avoid them and help my family and friends to book other companies. I don't want to give a $1 to this airline. Others should follow. While every airline has issues, Scamwing is the worst of the worst imho. I
I never realized a company could function with such poor customer service. Booked flight with Sunwing b/c friend's used an agency who booked same flight and wanted to travel together (oops!).

This past Sunday (May 19th) we get strange e-mail from the travel agent who booked my friends flight suggesting she buy travel cancellation insurance and that flight "might be cancelled" (this is encouraging insurance fraud by travel agent, b/c they know flight already cancelled). I check my own flight online and it shows up and everything looks fine. In fact I got a "purchase additional baggage" notice on May 16th. The next day the travel agent is going back and forth with Sunwing who suggest everything is fine, but Travel agent knows another client of theirs lost their flight (different week, but same schedule: Friday evening). Call Sunwing again - they continue to say everything is fine. Their client was advised 2-3 days prior to departure of the cancellation.

Wednesday rolls around - still nothing from Sunwing - I call about my flight am advised it's still schedule and will fly - my return flight might be changed by 1-day but departing flight is going. friend gets confirmation and cancellation notice this day offering a $100 voucher/credit + buy new ticket at current rates or full refund (obviously took full refund). So now I know my identical flight is also cancelled.

Thursday - I call again demanding they check as I am 100% sure the flight is cancelled. They repeat everything is fine (even after I said I know it's cancellation), but after I demand they check - they have to call Sunwing themselves (turns out Sunwing customer service are actually just booking agents). Their booking agents continue to say everything is fine until you say that you cannot find the flight on any reservation and you are aware that it is cancelled. Note: the Sunwing Reservation agent made it very clear that she doesn't have access to this cancellation information directly (meaning Sunwing is hiding this from their own employees).

With just 15 days before departure they allow me to cancel (full refund) - having to reschedule all services (car rental, accommodations, etc.) to fit with new airline and possible new airport (thanks Swoop!).

The sad part of all this is that Sunwing cancelled this flight on (or before) May 17th or so, and has not intention of advising their customers of this cancellation until the last minute when they have no options anymore. If you have any respect for yourself - DO NOT FLY SUNWING! There's a good chance you will regret it. They have no problems lying straight to your face. I feel bad for their customer service agents who are effectively paid liars (or just in denial). First and last time even considering flying Sunwing - glad flight is cancelled now and can book with someone else. ugh!
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1562 posts
1968 upvotes
Conquistador wrote: It seems that they just don't learn. :facepalm:

Sunwing flight from Toronto to Cancun delayed by over 13 hours

AND, again, they don't bother to comply with their responsibilities for compensation and instead offer vouchers for future travel. :facepalm:
Their legal responsibility is to offer compensation in accordance with their filed tariffs as shown below (seems like they did that):

"If your flight is delayed for any reason, we will do everything possible to keep you updated throughout the delay and provide the revised departure time as soon as possible. All passengers will be given a voucher for a beverage, meal or snack, based on the time of day and available services in the airport.

For flights departing to the Caribbean, Central America or Mexico from Canada or the USA, you will also be offered a choice of:

A $150 travel voucher (certain restrictions may apply) per paying passenger toward future travel onboard Sunwing Airlines, or you may use the voucher when you arrive in your destination toward payment for an excursion with Sunwing Experiences (reduced values apply) or
The option to cancel your holiday and receive a full refund within seven days. Please email customersupport@sunwing.ca to process the refund.
For flights departing from your holiday destination, you will also be offered a choice of:

A CDN $150 travel voucher (certain restrictions may apply) per paying passenger toward future travel onboard Sunwing Airlines, or
The option to cancel your return air seat and receive a refund equal to the return air seat portion of your holiday. Please email customersupport@sunwing.ca to process the refund."
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2579 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
cboersma wrote: I never realized a company could function with such poor customer service. Booked flight with Sunwing b/c friend's used an agency who booked same flight and wanted to travel together (oops!).

This past Sunday (May 19th) we get strange e-mail from the travel agent who booked my friends flight suggesting she buy travel cancellation insurance and that flight "might be cancelled" (this is encouraging insurance fraud by travel agent, b/c they know flight already cancelled). I check my own flight online and it shows up and everything looks fine. In fact I got a "purchase additional baggage" notice on May 16th. The next day the travel agent is going back and forth with Sunwing who suggest everything is fine, but Travel agent knows another client of theirs lost their flight (different week, but same schedule: Friday evening). Call Sunwing again - they continue to say everything is fine. Their client was advised 2-3 days prior to departure of the cancellation.

Wednesday rolls around - still nothing from Sunwing - I call about my flight am advised it's still schedule and will fly - my return flight might be changed by 1-day but departing flight is going. friend gets confirmation and cancellation notice this day offering a $100 voucher/credit + buy new ticket at current rates or full refund (obviously took full refund). So now I know my identical flight is also cancelled.

Thursday - I call again demanding they check as I am 100% sure the flight is cancelled. They repeat everything is fine (even after I said I know it's cancellation), but after I demand they check - they have to call Sunwing themselves (turns out Sunwing customer service are actually just booking agents). Their booking agents continue to say everything is fine until you say that you cannot find the flight on any reservation and you are aware that it is cancelled. Note: the Sunwing Reservation agent made it very clear that she doesn't have access to this cancellation information directly (meaning Sunwing is hiding this from their own employees).

With just 15 days before departure they allow me to cancel (full refund) - having to reschedule all services (car rental, accommodations, etc.) to fit with new airline and possible new airport (thanks Swoop!).

The sad part of all this is that Sunwing cancelled this flight on (or before) May 17th or so, and has not intention of advising their customers of this cancellation until the last minute when they have no options anymore. If you have any respect for yourself - DO NOT FLY SUNWING! There's a good chance you will regret it. They have no problems lying straight to your face. I feel bad for their customer service agents who are effectively paid liars (or just in denial). First and last time even considering flying Sunwing - glad flight is cancelled now and can book with someone else. ugh!
Which destination is this that they are cancelling????
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2968 upvotes
robsaw wrote: Their legal responsibility is to offer compensation in accordance with their filed tariffs as shown below (seems like they did that):

"If your flight is delayed for any reason, we will do everything possible to keep you updated throughout the delay and provide the revised departure time as soon as possible. All passengers will be given a voucher for a beverage, meal or snack, based on the time of day and available services in the airport.

For flights departing to the Caribbean, Central America or Mexico from Canada or the USA, you will also be offered a choice of:

A $150 travel voucher (certain restrictions may apply) per paying passenger toward future travel onboard Sunwing Airlines, or you may use the voucher when you arrive in your destination toward payment for an excursion with Sunwing Experiences (reduced values apply) or
The option to cancel your holiday and receive a full refund within seven days. Please email customersupport@sunwing.ca to process the refund.
For flights departing from your holiday destination, you will also be offered a choice of:

A CDN $150 travel voucher (certain restrictions may apply) per paying passenger toward future travel onboard Sunwing Airlines, or
The option to cancel your return air seat and receive a refund equal to the return air seat portion of your holiday. Please email customersupport@sunwing.ca to process the refund."
That may be per THEIR tariff but Gabor Lukacs, the passenger rights advocate, is saying that they had an obligation to find passengers alternative flight arrangements (1:10 mark of the linked video).

"International rules are clear" (Montreal Convention), as referenced later in the video, indicate that they need to cover the cost of food, accommodations, additional transportation, parking, and lost wages.

Why anybody would want to accept a voucher from an airline that lies to them and leaves them stranded for over a day is beyond me. Why would people want to subject themselves to that and travel that same airline ever again?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36101 posts
10198 upvotes
Ottawa
Conquistador wrote: That may be per THEIR tariff but Gabor Lukacs, the passenger rights advocate, is saying that they had an obligation to find passengers alternative flight arrangements (1:10 mark of the linked video).

"International rules are clear" (Montreal Convention), as referenced later in the video, indicate that they need to cover the cost of food, accommodations, additional transportation, parking, and lost wages.

Why anybody would want to accept a voucher from an airline that lies to them and leaves them stranded for over a day is beyond me. Why would people want to subject themselves to that and travel that same airline ever again?
Gabor Lukas has some sort of other terms and conditions? Every time I see him on the news he comes off like a blowhard.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2968 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Gabor Lukas has some sort of other terms and conditions? Every time I see him on the news he comes off like a blowhard.
I suspect he's simply referencing the terms of the Montreal Convention which would certainly supersede Sunwing's tariff.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2579 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
BrunetteGirl wrote:
I was here on business from Thursday - Saturday now at a different hotel on a personal trip with my husband. Flights were so busy (as they always are) +/-2 days before/after a long weekend. I had to bring my husband down with me on the Thursday flight since everything was full Fri & Sat even on alternate carriers and we aren’t coming back until Wednesday because of the capacity. The theory of rebooking 200-300 pax to Toronto on different airlines (direct) is great in theory but an almost non existent option. I doubt even with a hotel provided free of charge nobody is willing to wait around in CUN for 3 days for another seat.
Conquistador wrote: That may be per THEIR tariff but Gabor Lukacs, the passenger rights advocate, is saying that they had an obligation to find passengers alternative flight arrangements (1:10 mark of the linked video).

The thing about Gabor is that 90% of the time is excellent and accurate in pointing out that airlines (all of them) blatantly lie to their pax and calls them out on their shenanigans and ppl are entitled to.

However he’s not in the industry by trade and has little to 0 knowledge operations wise. This is an old 767 that was delayed (don’t know the exact pax count?). Where are they going to find 200-300 seats to rebook these passengers (on a long weekend) of all times? Even VIA the US or elsewhere in Canada that’s a minimum of an 7+ hour flight with connections from Cancun. Now add in the fact that US bound flights require pax to have esta’s & clean criminal records etc. It’s also shoulder season so there are less (direct) flights back to Canada as the airlines want to ensure that their flights are near full. Different scenario depending on where the delay / destination takes place where rebooking pax on alternate flights would be a feasible option.

A friend recently went to Barbados and her luggage didn’t arrive (there’s only WS & AC who service BGI) so you can use your imagination on who this relates to. The rep told her she can only spend $50 a day to replace her clothing. I told her that is total BS and to save all receipts and buy what you need and claim them (She booked through the airline directly and was shocked how they all were blatantly lying to her).
May 22, 2019
5 posts
5 upvotes
Which destination is this that they are cancelling????
YVR - YYZ flight schedules have been substantially reduced - basically 1 flight per week. I had a Friday late evening flight (red-eye).

YVR --- > YYZ is only Mondays
YYZ --- > YVR is only on Fridays (with exception to Thursday May 30th)

ALL OTHER YVR <--> YYZ flights cannot be booked on Sunwing.ca

I suspect a tonne of people will be affected by this. I think they had daily trips for these connections before.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36101 posts
10198 upvotes
Ottawa
Conquistador wrote: I suspect he's simply referencing the terms of the Montreal Convention which would certainly supersede Sunwing's tariff.
Yeah but the Montreal Convention was not binding and many of the IATA members did not even sign up so, it was just an empty docket.
And legally, the T's & C's are what binds the airline and the passengers.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2579 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
cboersma wrote: YVR - YYZ flight schedules have been substantially reduced - basically 1 flight per week. I had a Friday late evening flight (red-eye).

YVR --- > YYZ is only Mondays
YYZ --- > YVR is only on Fridays (with exception to Thursday May 30th)

ALL OTHER YVR <--> YYZ flights cannot be booked on Sunwing.ca

I suspect a tonne of people will be affected by this. I think they had daily trips for these connections before.
Oh okay- yeah sorry forget they even operated domestic flights in the summer. Thought it was somewhere in the Caribbean.

...that was likely a 737-800/ Max 8 route and they probably don’t want to throw one of their leases on that flight as they likely aren’t making much $$ to begin with. They tend to only operate domestic routes as a means to move around their aircraft on a summer schedule (instead of ferrying it without passengers).

Sorry that happened to you!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15527 posts
12739 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Just read online that Sunwing had another sh!t show earlier today (Friday)
https://globalnews.ca/news/5314606/sunw ... eat-delay/

* FIRST VIDEO & STORY
Other videos relate to last week’s situation on the same
Cancun to Toronto run
Which last week had a 13 Hour Delay / Fiasco
And the original topic of this post by @Conquistador

And it’s ongoing ... story says Today’s Pax are still in Cancun
Hoping to get out to today (Saturday)

Betting these are very ticked off Travellers
Beyond the high heat being bottled up on the plane on the tarmac
Some of them would have been in the mix no doubt of Paxs in TO last weekend
Who were impacted by the Sunwing Flight from Cancun not coming to pick them up on time in TO

So their vacation got off to a bad start c/o Sunwing
And ended EVEN WORSE (imagine that possibility)

It’s just a matter of time till this airline is down and out for the count
Last edited by PointsHubby on May 25th, 2019 1:24 am, edited 4 times in total.