Super Expensive Teksavvy Internet?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2021 11:01 pm
[OP]
Jun 4, 2018
260 posts
288 upvotes

Super Expensive Teksavvy Internet?

I've been a Teksavvy customer for years and I have several of their products (home phone, internet, Teksavvy tv).

They offer unrivaled customer service and the price has always been reasonable.

But with their recent price hikes, I'm currently paying $114.99/month for gigabit internet, which as far as I can tell is one of the highest rates in Canada.

The web site still says "paying a fair price for Internet isn't science fiction", but I don't think they're living up to their business strategy anymore.

Anyone know what is up with this? I'd like to stay with Teksavvy, but it's becoming very hard to justify at these rates. Seriously considering switching.
49 replies
Sep 28, 2012
220 posts
108 upvotes
Mississauga
Give a call to Rogers. they might provide you same service, but half price. You are paying way too much. Each company has to justify their high price, however they have to be competitive. Good Luck!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6046 posts
2751 upvotes
Durham
vane4665 wrote: I've been a Teksavvy customer for years and I have several of their products (home phone, internet, Teksavvy tv).

They offer unrivaled customer service and the price has always been reasonable.

But with their recent price hikes, I'm currently paying $114.99/month for gigabit internet, which as far as I can tell is one of the highest rates in Canada.

The web site still says "paying a fair price for Internet isn't science fiction", but I don't think they're living up to their business strategy anymore.

Anyone know what is up with this? I'd like to stay with Teksavvy, but it's becoming very hard to justify at these rates. Seriously considering switching.
I was with Rogers for the longest time (from the 1990s when they took over Shaw Cable in Markham).

So from back in the 1990s ... we were converted to Rogers VIP Cable TV ... later in the 90s had their Express Internet and Rogers Home Phone ... also their Rogers Cantel cellphone service.

As time went on ... the Internet packages changed .... cancelled Home Phone ... added Rogers Smart Home Monitoring.

Moved to Oshawa and moved the SHM services along with their Gigabit Internet + Popular Cable TV Package ...

Two years ago ... they didn't give me anything as a loyal 20+ year customer ... then used my wife's name and setup another account under the same address and had her name on the SHM and Gigabit Internet + Popular Cable TV Package ... proceeded to cancel my account.

Two years ended this past August ... Bell installed their Fiber in our neighbourhood ... called Rogers ... absolutely no respect from them ... was offered $200+ for both services and RACK rate for Gigabit Internet ($119+taxes) ... no need for cable as I have two unlocked android boxes

Picked up the phone and called Bell ... got their Fiber 1.5Gbps Internet for $69.95+taxes monthly ... no contract ... price remains the same until I change the package

Gave Rogers the middle finger for their Internet+Cable TV ... keeping SHM because nobody can do $29.99+taxes for the equipment and service that I have with Rogers
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
2699 posts
4498 upvotes
Atlantic
vane4665 wrote: But with their recent price hikes, I'm currently paying $114.99/month for gigabit internet, which as far as I can tell is one of the highest rates in Canada.
Definitely agree with other posters that you are paying way too much.

Teksavvy's rates are ultimately determined mostly by the wholesale rates from Rogers. This is determined through CRTC proceedings/hearings.
[OP]
Jun 4, 2018
260 posts
288 upvotes
kwu0914 wrote: Give a call to Rogers. they might provide you same service, but half price. You are paying way too much. Each company has to justify their high price, however they have to be competitive. Good Luck!
Rogers is a no-go for me. I used them for a few years. They promise you low promotional rates, but the discounts kept disappearing on my bills and I was constantly on the line with billing fighting to get the discount put back on the account. In one year, I got 12 different bills and the amount was not the same once!

I found Rogers to be a very dishonest and disorganized company and I'd rather pay more than deal with Rogers.
Sep 30, 2015
355 posts
116 upvotes
York, ON
No discount for digital cable from Rogers? It is because Rogers is trying to get everyone to switch over to iptv with their ignite internet, ignite tv, and home home. I have their ignite package and got about 30% reduction compared to digital cable.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4172 posts
1134 upvotes
vane4665 wrote: Rogers is a no-go for me. I used them for a few years. They promise you low promotional rates, but the discounts kept disappearing on my bills and I was constantly on the line with billing fighting to get the discount put back on the account. In one year, I got 12 different bills and the amount was not the same once!

I found Rogers to be a very dishonest and disorganized company and I'd rather pay more than deal with Rogers.
Exactly. A coworker of mine was on hold with Rogers during lunch time. He told me Rogers over charged his bill the 2nd time in a year. Not price increase but just some ridiculous add on charges as it was someone else bill. It's ridiculous for the big company doing tricks like this. You will have to pay more if you don't check or don't want the hassle. Robber is the correct name. After he talked to the CSR. They simply made the correction and apologized with amount reflected on next bill. Not one time or one client but multiple times and clients (apparently that happened to his friends too).
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
2699 posts
4498 upvotes
Atlantic
Sounds like you don't have many options - not willing to go to Rogers because of potential billing issues. This probably means Bell as well, as there are plenty of people that complain about Bell's billing as well.

That leaves TPIAs. Quality TPIAs aren't going to be much different in terms of pricing as they are all subjected to the same wholesale rates of Rogers/Bell.

You can try lower tier TPIAs like Carrytel and CanNet but are likely to have lower reliability.

Perhaps choose a lower speed package.

My 2 cents.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9759 posts
4058 upvotes
Vaughan
With Bhell and Robbers, people may get cheaper deals for the 1st 12 months, you have to call and hoping to get any deal. You may get billing issues with them. With Teksavvy, you don’t have to haggle.
[OP]
Jun 4, 2018
260 posts
288 upvotes
I like Teksavvy.

But practically everyone is offering much lower prices. Even if the competitor normal price is in the $120/month range for gigabit, they're all offering 1-2 years at half the price.

Teksavvy doesn't offer discounts, which is just fine, but not if you're the most expensive game in town.

Like I say, I don't want to leave. But something has to give. Pretty much everyone I know who has gigabit is paying less than me.

Some have suggested downgrading. I don't have gigabit for the gigabit downstream speed. I have it for the 30Mbps upstream speed. With two adults working at home and two kids sometimes schooling remote, we can all be in video conferences at once. I also don't understand why upstream speeds are so slow in Canada.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
2699 posts
4498 upvotes
Atlantic
vane4665 wrote: Some have suggested downgrading. I don't have gigabit for the gigabit downstream speed. I have it for the 30Mbps upstream speed. With two adults working at home and two kids sometimes schooling remote, we can all be in video conferences at once. I also don't understand why upstream speeds are so slow in Canada.
You mean you have gigabit downstream and only 30 mbps upstream?

I think the slow upstream has to do with the weaknesses of DOCSIS and cable technologies. Bell fiber (FTTH) offers no such limitations on the upstream side of their package.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7634 posts
4267 upvotes
West GTEH!
vane4665 wrote: I like Teksavvy.

But practically everyone is offering much lower prices. Even if the competitor normal price is in the $120/month range for gigabit, they're all offering 1-2 years at half the price.

Teksavvy doesn't offer discounts, which is just fine, but not if you're the most expensive game in town.

Like I say, I don't want to leave. But something has to give. Pretty much everyone I know who has gigabit is paying less than me.

Some have suggested downgrading. I don't have gigabit for the gigabit downstream speed. I have it for the 30Mbps upstream speed. With two adults working at home and two kids sometimes schooling remote, we can all be in video conferences at once. I also don't understand why upstream speeds are so slow in Canada.
If you have researched and found other options ( based on your statement), then switch.

I was with Teksavvy for the past 10 years and their pricing has gotten pricey and been non-competitive.

It's tough to switch from a company when the service provided is running well.
😎
[OP]
Jun 4, 2018
260 posts
288 upvotes
EasyCompany251 wrote: You mean you have gigabit downstream and only 30 mbps upstream?

I think the slow upstream has to do with the weaknesses of DOCSIS and cable technologies. Bell fiber (FTTH) offers no such limitations on the upstream side of their package.
There is no Fiber to the House in our Markham neighbourhood yet. Rogers put the cable under the ground two years ago, but they seem to be in no rush to actually hook us up. If they did, I'd probably have switched already - even though I despise Rogers.
Aug 1, 2016
106 posts
25 upvotes
Me too, was happy with Teksavvy service for 5 years but the price is now way too high so i went to cancom 2 months ago after they raised my monthly fee for third year in a row
Nov 5, 2019
73 posts
58 upvotes
I too have cancelled my cable Internet service with Teksavvy after the surprise price hike from October 2020 : raising the most basic 5/6 Mbps cable internet service from $32 to $37 +tax = $41.75 per month. Sigh... I remembered the good ol\ days 10 years ago when Teksavvy used to offer basic cable internet for about $26/month, how the times have changed.
I am outraged that this price hike went unannounced, it creeped up sneakily, so gotta be viligliant in checking the bills every month.
But also the customer service has gone downhill , like being reluctant to send over technician and suspecting the customer first and insisting on checking speedtest.net meters first (even when no internet page can load), it has become less reliable and more frequently bottlenecked slow nowadays. At theend of the service call, Teksavvy tech support blamed it on the old Motorola modem as outdated, the same modem that I bought from them years ago for about $155: this is a ripoff if they are forcing customers to pay extra $100+ for forced "modem upgrades" - although maybe the evil megacorp Rogers is also to blame for that for imposing such money-fleecing measures over strigent hardware requirements.

I will likely switch to either ebox or tententel for my next ISP after the cancellation.

Tekavvy used to be a good company, but not anymore with the surprise price hikes and worsering customer service. They are still better value than those evil mega corps Rogers & Bell, but thats just scraping at the bottom of the barrel.
Last edited by ander20t on Feb 26th, 2021 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1513 posts
509 upvotes
vane4665 wrote: I like Teksavvy.

I use a 6 MB down/0.8 MB up here (DSL), and when three of us are running video conferencing there are no real problems that we've seen, are you sure you need that much up speed for your household?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6975 posts
6110 upvotes
teoconca wrote: With Bhell and Robbers, people may get cheaper deals for the 1st 12 months, you have to call and hoping to get any deal. You may get billing issues with them. With Teksavvy, you don’t have to haggle.
Ya tekgarbage is expensive all the time, no deals ever. Terrible service and just endless lies and overpriced garbage

They lie about higher costs when other TPIA charge less and provide more. They "give" discounts once in a while but still way more expensive than rogers/bell and their flanker brands not to mention other way cheaper TPIA

Teksavvy is a terrible ISP
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
4711 posts
3476 upvotes
Havent been back with teksavvy in over 6 years. Once you start jumping around for discounted internet from rogers/fido/bell/virgin you never go back. I know it is true rogers and bell are discounting this as low as possible to destroy the 3rd party ISP, but at the end of the day saving money is saving money.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35858 posts
9176 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
evilYoda wrote: I know it is true rogers and bell are discounting this as low as possible to destroy the 3rd party ISP, but at the end of the day saving money is saving money.
Once they destroy the competition, Robellus will hike prices and we are all screwed
Jun 1, 2017
783 posts
651 upvotes
Mississauga
Ebox has their 500/20 plan for $80/month. Cannot comment on them as I have never had their service, but seems like one of the better deals for a high speed.