Computers & Electronics

Super Expensive Teksavvy Internet?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2021 11:01 pm
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10244 upvotes
Gee wrote: Once they destroy the competition, Robellus will hike prices and we are all screwed
Well there's so many other TPIA way better and cheaper than teksavvy.

Why donate money to shitty ISP like Tek?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1842 posts
575 upvotes
An option is to try lower plan of Teksavvy, such as 30 Mbps for $60 or so. I don't know if they still offer this plan
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
In the last 9 years, TechSavvy was ALWAYS more expensive than Bell for me. I was pricing it every year to see if there are changes.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
It's honestly ridiculous, my plan went up from $58 back in January 2020 to $75 currently with absolutely no improvement to my service. It's partly on me because I'm on an old grandfathered 60/10 unlimited plan and they do offer better but I'd have to eat the cost of buying a new modem as I'm still on DOCSIS 3 and can't get the new plans with it. I just haven't bothered because it doesn't really impact my day to day and I have a lot of disposable income since covid but I really should do something about it because it really is a rip off.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
8453 posts
6938 upvotes
Gee wrote: Once they destroy the competition, Robellus will hike prices and we are all screwed
yes, but then teksavvy hasnt been managed well in the past several years. Giving rebates to customers in the hopes that appeals to CRTC would be rejected only to be wrong, then forced to hike prices twice that I know of, and fire 200 staff in the middle of covid to make up for the losses is one of the reasons prices are no longer competitive.

At a minimum they should be competitive with ebox.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4420 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: It's honestly ridiculous, my plan went up from $58 back in January 2020 to $75 currently with absolutely no improvement to my service. It's partly on me because I'm on an old grandfathered 60/10 unlimited plan and they do offer better but I'd have to eat the cost of buying a new modem as I'm still on DOCSIS 3 and can't get the new plans with it. I just haven't bothered because it doesn't really impact my day to day and I have a lot of disposable income since covid but I really should do something about it because it really is a rip off.
I don't have disposable income but I am in a similar boat. I want something better and it seems like the only option is Virgin which is really sad. Virgin doesn't do bundle deals so I can't use that as leverage and try to broker a deal if I wanted to port my cell number. Never been a fan of rogers network so fido and rogers are out of the question for me.

Canada sucks for options
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
8453 posts
6938 upvotes
Zero1 wrote:
Canada sucks for options
We actually have faster speeds and lower prices than the americans, if that means anything.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Zero1 wrote: I don't have disposable income but I am in a similar boat. I want something better and it seems like the only option is Virgin which is really sad. Virgin doesn't do bundle deals so I can't use that as leverage and try to broker a deal if I wanted to port my cell number. Never been a fan of rogers network so fido and rogers are out of the question for me.

Canada sucks for options
Rogers actually offers some insanely good new customer deals but I think the catch is it's only good for like the first year and then they hike prices up your ass.

Tbh despite it being kind of a rip off at this point, I'm inclined to stick with Teksaavy because they've been reliable and reasonably priced for many years until the recent hikes and I'm generally hesitant to be jumping providers while I depend on my home internet working properly since I'm working from home now. I should at least call them and find out what my options are though or maybe just suck up the cost of the new modem and get a better plan. That said, I'll be watching this thread to see what others are doing.
Apr 8, 2020
836 posts
609 upvotes
Agree on Teks - way to much $ , but I am to lazy and didn't have any problems with them ... so it's on me
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
StatsGuy wrote: Well there's so many other TPIA way better and cheaper than teksavvy.
Everyone is forgetting about the back end. When choosing an ISP, you have to consider an ISP’s infrastructure.

What good is having high speed internet when the ISP’s total capacity is 10 Gigs which is a possibility for smaller providers. It gets oversold really fast
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10244 upvotes
Gee wrote: Everyone is forgetting about the back end. When choosing an ISP, you have to consider an ISP’s infrastructure.

What good is having high speed internet when the ISP’s total capacity is 10 Gigs which is a possibility for smaller providers. It gets oversold really fast
That's why teksavvy is shit quality and unreliable. Shit backend, no customer service and zero care. Just high prices and all BS marketing coasting on those who don't know better and living in the 2000s when teksavvy was semi okay

I still remember how terrible it was when I was with them and they were working to fix their capacity issue...for 8+ months while charging full price and many left but canceling took hours on phone

This is why the big boys and their flanker brands at lower price but way better backend and service.

There's zero rationale to use crap tier isp like tek not if you just want low price nor If you want quality nor value.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5186 posts
1829 upvotes
Mississauga
vane4665 wrote: There is no Fiber to the House in our Markham neighbourhood yet. Rogers put the cable under the ground two years ago, but they seem to be in no rush to actually hook us up. If they did, I'd probably have switched already - even though I despise Rogers.
I don't get it. Doesn't Teksavvy just use Rogers infrastructure in Markham. If it's available on Teksavvy via Rogers, why isn't it available for Rogers. Note their online availability checker is not always up to date. Best to call them.

For me, Rogers is cheaper by about $5/month for promotional pricing. (I'm not eligible for any other discount) and fiber is not offered in my building. So I'm stuck with cable internet. I'm also too lazy to argue with Rogers csr every year to get a good deal, so I've continued using Teksavvy.

I think if you want something under 150M down, you can get a good deal elsewhere, but for 500M and gigabit plans with cable internet, the difference in price is minimal.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2020
1405 posts
1686 upvotes
Teksavvy is still very cost competitive in BC, especially for lower end plans.

The cheapest service available from Telus is $85+tax for 15/1 while Shaw starts at $110+tax for 300/100. Teksavvy is $67 (including tax) for 25/6, which is more than good enough for smaller households.

Other TPIAs that operate in BC and offer better prices look extremely sketchy or have known reliability problems.
Aug 26, 2016
240 posts
310 upvotes
middleofnowhere wrote: Teksavvy is still very cost competitive in BC, especially for lower end plans.

The cheapest service available from Telus is $85+tax for 15/1 while Shaw starts at $110+tax for 300/100. Teksavvy is $67 (including tax) for 25/6, which is more than good enough for smaller households.

Other TPIAs that operate in BC and offer better prices look extremely sketchy or have known reliability problems.
I'm current with Teksavvy. I pay $78.27 for Cable 60 Unlimited. $64.95 + $13.32 Hitron CGNM-3550 rental.
Shaw is doing 2-year contract on Fiber+ 500. $79/month, with $50 online credit. $10/month modem rental included.

I'll try to stick with Teksavvy for as long as I can to support more competition. But the unfortunate truth is Teksavvy really isn't competitive anymore. I could get much faster service for the same price. Major ISPs run promotion on long term contracts all the time. It's not like this Shaw offer is once in a blue moon.

Hopefully some real impact on prices can come from this ruling by the Supreme Court.
https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/02/25/supr ... ale-rates/
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2979 posts
264 upvotes
Burlington
Oddly, where I am, teksavvy us still cheaper than the competitors. Heck even a bell door to door rep came by and was just like "let me guess you're on this plan paying this much with teksavvy" when I said yep, he politely said have a great day and moved on lol.

They're pricing has gone up it seems with everything else going on but I haven't found a cheaper option. Cogeco gave me some crap after 6 years about no longer giving promotional pricing since it costs them too much money (the new user promotion was cheaper than the existing one). So I told them to cancel and moved to teksavvy. Weeks after the Change I got a call with a solid offer but wasn't willing to forgo my startup fees and deal with their crap again lol.
Jun 10, 2019
46 posts
17 upvotes
middleofnowhere wrote: Teksavvy is still very cost competitive in BC, especially for lower end plans.

Shaw offers through direct channels are quite good right now, a lot lower than $110!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: That's why teksavvy is shit quality and unreliable. Shit backend, no customer service and zero care. Just high prices and all BS marketing coasting on those who don't know better and living in the 2000s when teksavvy was semi okay

I still remember how terrible it was when I was with them and they were working to fix their capacity issue...for 8+ months while charging full price and many left but canceling took hours on phone

This is why the big boys and their flanker brands at lower price but way better backend and service.

There's zero rationale to use crap tier isp like tek not if you just want low price nor If you want quality nor value.
Back in the day, many, many years ago, I was all ready to switch to TekSavvy cable, and even went as far as to install new cabling directly into my home office. Then I read all the horror stories about our McNicoll POI. It was a total disaster. People were getting less than 3 Mbps in peak periods, and TekSavvy kept on blaming everything on Rogers, saying Rogers was taking too long to install requested upgrades. This lasted for YEARS, not just 8 months. Meanwhile, Rogers customers in the same neighbourhoods were getting full speeds or near-full speeds during those same peak periods. It seemed to us the main problem was not Rogers' delays, but that TekSavvy was seriously overselling everything before beginning capacity upgrades. TekSavvy was not preparing for projected capacity needs, but was merely reacting to capacity deficiencies as they seriously oversold themselves, and then passed the blame onto Rogers.

BTW, I just priced out TekSavvy, and it would cost me 50% more than my current Rogers promotional deal. However, while this would get me comparable internet speeds, it would also give me an inferior TV package, and a home phone package that would not work for me because they use run of the mill VoIP.

There was a golden era of TekSavvy, but that ended a decade ago.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
3674 posts
2028 upvotes
To all of you complaining about Teksavvy, do you seriously think that there would be any deals if Teksavvy wasn't around? Rogers and Bell only offer cheaper prices in order
to run Teksavvy (and similar) into the ground. They abuse the government process and screw around with CRTC hearings while messing with wholesale rates. Rogers and
Bell can offer prices below wholesale because they can. Teksavvy can't.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Yes thank you! Somebody who knows whats actually going on and i not just shitting on Teksavvy when really the issue is due to something else (bell/rogers/crtc etc)

As I have mentioned before Teksavvy is one of the main ISP's that are actually fighting for customers, spending lots of money in court & advertising to get the CRTC to make it better for all of us however people are to blind to see all of that and just love to complain instead of looking into the issue.

Some people above have been complaining about how it took teksavvy months to fix a capacity issue for cable users many years ago. So from my understanding this is what actually happened, Teksavvy would see that capacity was at 50% they would put the order in with Rogers to increase the capacity early so there would be no issues. Rogers on the other hand took Months to actually do it (likely on purpose) to screw Teksavvy so all their users have issues with slow speeds. From what I Recall Teksavvy even went to the CRTC and did everything they could to force Rogers to install the upgraded Capacity but its not their lines so they can only do so much. So instead of shitting on Teksavvy who is fighting for you go put the same effort into complaining to the CRTC regarding the sad state of our Internet here.

As somebody as mentioned if Teksavvy and other companies did not fight for us Bell/Rogers would be charging us well over $100 for a basic internet connection & you would be bitching about that too, Dont shit on a company that actually cares and stop thinking Rogers/Bell cares anything about you because they have made it clear after outsourcing years ago.
shutterbug wrote: To all of you complaining about Teksavvy, do you seriously think that there would be any deals if Teksavvy wasn't around? Rogers and Bell only offer cheaper prices in order
to run Teksavvy (and similar) into the ground. They abuse the government process and screw around with CRTC hearings while messing with wholesale rates. Rogers and
Bell can offer prices below wholesale because they can. Teksavvy can't.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4664 posts
1242 upvotes
Toronto
We were with Teksavvy for a long time -- we had the DSL service, at three different addresses. By cable standards it was slow, but it was absolutely rock stable -- speeds always as advertised, and maybe two or three service interruptions in the 11 years we were with them.

We eventually switched to Carrytel to get more speed for about the same price, then to Fido last year, for similar reasons.

In terms of customer service I'd say that Teksavvy was easily the best of the three -- and I respect them for "fighting the good fight" as they were really the first alternative to the big guys. But over time they became a lot less competitive on price, and it's hard to justify paying for their services when others are providing essentially the same packages for less (even if it does require switching ISPs every once in a while to take advantage of better deals).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)