Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] Super Mario Odyssey (digital download) + Switch Pro Controller (bundle) - $129.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 3:47 pm
Member
Dec 19, 2006
454 posts
402 upvotes
Burnaby
sabesh wrote: Physical copy is a fail for me. I prefer downloads - much easier, and no need to keep changing cartridges.
That people have actually *prefer* digital downloads is wild to me. I get that it's convenient, but you don't own it and you can't ever resell it. Contrast that to playing a game, finishing it, and flipping it back on the marketplace for $60-$70. It makes any new release game $30 as opposed to $90.

If your argument is that you don't sell games and you want to be able to play them years down the road, you're still better off with physical. Because when the servers are inevitably shut off - and make no mistake, that is inevitable - you will no longer be able to play them on those older consoles.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 24, 2004
1733 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
Thello wrote: That people have actually *prefer* digital downloads is wild to me. I get that it's convenient, but you don't own it and you can't ever resell it. Contrast that to playing a game, finishing it, and flipping it back on the marketplace for $60-$70. It makes any new release game $30 as opposed to $90.

If your argument is that you don't sell games and you want to be able to play them years down the road, you're still better off with physical. Because when the servers are inevitably shut off - and make no mistake, that is inevitable - you will no longer be able to play them on those older consoles.
I don't have an older console. Digital download is way more convenient than switching cartridges each time you switch games. I stopped buying physical media years ago, as I don't see the point of it. To each their own!
Last edited by sabesh on Sep 12th, 2020 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 23, 2010
808 posts
235 upvotes
I went into a Walmart over the weekend and talked to someone about this deal. They had stock in the back but it was marked "not for sale". He seemed to think that there were problems reported with the controllers and the stock was being pulled back. Not sure why that would be the case but that was his story.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 3, 2006
1199 posts
221 upvotes
Thello wrote: That people have actually *prefer* digital downloads is wild to me. I get that it's convenient, but you don't own it and you can't ever resell it. Contrast that to playing a game, finishing it, and flipping it back on the marketplace for $60-$70. It makes any new release game $30 as opposed to $90.

If your argument is that you don't sell games and you want to be able to play them years down the road, you're still better off with physical. Because when the servers are inevitably shut off - and make no mistake, that is inevitable - you will no longer be able to play them on those older consoles.
Listen, there are advantages to physical and digital.

Put it this way, somehow my switch + 6 games (in the pouch) fell out my car while I was unloading groceries. When I went back to see if it was still there later on, it was gone. I ended up losing my switch + all my physical games. I was obviously upset.
SO, I ended up picking up another switch, but then I realized I still had all my digital downloads. I ended up disabling my account remotely on the old switch and re-downloaded all my digital games. I was so happy to have them all back. THAT RIGHT THERE IS AN ADVANTAGE!
The fact that it's portable makes sense that digital downloads work well. If I somehow lose my physical games (either misplaced because the cartridges are so small or fell somewhere while on the go - like bus seat or subway), the game is lost forever. This won't happen with digital.
The convenience of digital is miles better. I don't understand how folks are so spoiled today to forget when we all DREAMED to have all our games on the hard drive. I mean, the original XBOX was amazing because the hacking scene allowed us to store our games on the hard drive so we didn't have to keep swapping media. So very convenient.

With physical I have to open the top, pop out the game, and then swap in the new game. I can end up misplacing or droping the cartridge if on the go. If docked, I have to walk across the room to swap the game.

The main advantage of physical is the fact you can sell the game when you're done. Not all of us are into that, especially NINTENDO games. Many of us keep these games. This is not COD, Assassin's Creed, Madden, etc - where you play and then you're done with it. Many of us go back and replay these games.

We're living in a great age of CHOICE, many of which we didn't have in the past. I have been gaming since the old Atari 2600 days (and Vic 20 / Commodore 64) and believe me, things are great today. I had so many cartridges it was annoying.

Learn to respect other folks views as they have their own reasons you may not understand or appreciate.
Sr. Member
Aug 7, 2019
760 posts
265 upvotes
stanleylai wrote: Regret missing out on pro controller deals for $50. Dont think we'll ever see it that low again
When/where was it offered at that price?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
3634 posts
3233 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Rustycage wrote: I went into a Walmart over the weekend and talked to someone about this deal. They had stock in the back but it was marked "not for sale". He seemed to think that there were problems reported with the controllers and the stock was being pulled back. Not sure why that would be the case but that was his story.
Maybe the Supervisor/Manager lied to everyone because he had more confidence in them not selling it if they were all supposedly defective than if they had told them the truth lol.
Newbie
Aug 10, 2017
59 posts
44 upvotes
Thello wrote: That people have actually *prefer* digital downloads is wild to me. I get that it's convenient, but you don't own it and you can't ever resell it.
Contrast that to playing a game, finishing it, and flipping it back on the marketplace for $60-$70. It makes any new release game $30 as opposed to $90.

If your argument is that you don't sell games and you want to be able to play them years down the road, you're still better off with physical. Because when the servers are inevitably shut off - and make no mistake, that is inevitable - you will no longer be able to play them on those older consoles.
You don't get the game for $30, that's more like renting the game for $30 dollars. I generally choose games that you come back to not the one time playthrough type. As for your second point games these days have updates you have to download so that point still applies to physical games.

I have both physical and digital games and it's a minor nuisance when I have to get up and change the cart. I only choose physical on Switch for storage reasons. Either way, they both have several pros and cons.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
2133 posts
747 upvotes
EDMONTON
Digital copy 🤮

Deal is so cold
RFD Etiquette:
- If you are going to shoot down a deal by referencing an expired sale or past deals, please provide us with a working time machine!
Member
User avatar
Jun 19, 2009
310 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
It's not that bad if you are in the market for a pro controller and you don't have Mario Odyssey yet (like me). I save a couple of bucks, and I don't mind having this game in digital format.
Member
Mar 6, 2013
246 posts
174 upvotes
Saint John, NB
Tjklovesthisplace wrote: Sold out online
It is being released tomorrow so they probably wont add online inventory until then.
Member
Feb 22, 2010
361 posts
260 upvotes
nlevatt wrote: It is being released tomorrow so they probably wont add online inventory until then.
That.

There was a preorder window last week on the same link and never seemed to go oos (or that would be oop).

Top