• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2019 6:59 pm
[OP]
Nov 19, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote

Superstore No Name Shredded cheese illogical price

Who are they trying to fool?

Buy groups of 2 and Pay $10.96 for 640 g (320 g X 2)

Or

Pay $11 for 900 g

Smh
IMG_20191127_180637.jpg
IMG_20191127_180703.jpg
36 replies
Apr 29, 2006
34 posts
66 upvotes
You're paying the price of convenience of a smaller package. What's more illogical is you can buy name brand cheese for the same price in most cases. Or, PC brand goes on sale for ~$3.99/320g every few weeks.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19738 posts
23151 upvotes
GTA
Pricing like this is very common. If this is the only one you've noticed then you're missing a lot.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23571 posts
22533 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
engineered wrote: Pricing like this is very common. If this is the only one you've noticed then you're missing a lot.
This

Most of the time when it comes to unit pricing ... bigger is cheaper

BUT as @mike4451 pointed out it’s a trade off convenience ... not every can go thru essentially 2 Lbs of shredded cheese before it starts to go bad... or not everyone has space in their lives to buy in larger pkgs / quantities

For the record ... sometimes bigger isn’t always better / cheaper either

No where is this more evident than at a store like Costco

Lots of folks there “drink the koolaid” believing bulk is cheaper
Not always so

It’s truly about know8ng prices and the true PER UNIT Costing

We buy a lot of stuff at Costco ... but can consistently get our brand name paper products (Bounty - Cotonelle - Scottie’s) elsewhere far cheaper
And sometimes this is true for other items as well
Costco has excellent prices on the mega jugs of laundry detergent
BUT ... knowing the true price per milliliter means sometimes a sale elsewhere is cheaper ... but the trade off is smaller jugs
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19929 posts
6861 upvotes
Toronto
What OP might be missing out on is the real point being that you can buy two different types of cheese (select choices) @ $5.98 each instead of 900g of the same cheese.
It's less cheese that way, but if it allows for more than one choice, some people may still prefer to pay the $5.98x2 price.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1306 upvotes
engineered wrote: Pricing like this is very common. If this is the only one you've noticed then you're missing a lot.
This
[OP]
Nov 19, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
I get paying just $5.99 if you only want 1 pack. What I find insulting is where they're selling 2 very different amounts (640 g vs. 900 g) for the same price.

The only good counterpoint that's been mentioned so far is if someone wants two different kinds of cheese.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19738 posts
23151 upvotes
GTA
tazerface wrote: I get paying just $5.99 if you only want 1 pack. What I find insulting is where they're selling 2 very different amounts (640 g vs. 900 g) for the same price.

The only good counterpoint that's been mentioned so far is if someone wants two different kinds of cheese.
Basically every store gives you a discount for buying in bulk, nothing new here.
It's mostly due to marketing, where they give you options where the bigger package is better value, so they get you to spend more even if you only need the small package. The cost of the extra product is negligible compared to the extra money they take in from you.

What I find insulting is the packaging tricks they do, where they decrease the amount of product in a package, but make it look like it's the same size. Some cheese bricks are notorious for that. You think, great deal on this cheese, but you pick it up and it's super thin.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1061 posts
853 upvotes
GTA
tazerface wrote: I get paying just $5.99 if you only want 1 pack. What I find insulting is where they're selling 2 very different amounts (640 g vs. 900 g) for the same price.

There may be some exceptions, although none come to mind ATM, but it's normal for larger packages of basically anything to have a lower cost per unit of weight or volume provided you compare regular price vs regular price or sale price vs sale price. As a probably familiar example, a club pack of lean ground beef, BLSL chicken breasts, etc. costs less per kg than smaller packages of the exact same things.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26810 posts
24282 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
engineered wrote: Pricing like this is very common. If this is the only one you've noticed then you're missing a lot... Basically every store gives you a discount for buying in bulk, nothing new here.
What's less common but far more illogical is when a store has the larger size for sale at regular price and the smaller size is on sale such that the unit price of the small size is actually cheaper. For example, the 500gm size is $4.99 and the 250gm size is on sale for $1.99.

It's important for shoppers to compare the unit price of similar items to see which is cheapest. You need good eyes because unit prices are shown at the bottom of the shelf label in tiny type that's difficult for mere mortals to read.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19738 posts
23151 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote: What's less common but far more illogical is when a store has the larger size for sale at regular price and the smaller size is on sale such that the unit price of the small size is actually cheaper. For example, the 500gm size is $4.99 and the 250gm size is on sale for $1.99.

It's important for shoppers to compare the unit price of similar items to see which is cheapest. You need good eyes because unit prices are shown at the bottom of the shelf label in tiny type that's difficult for mere mortals to read.
Yup, it's nice when a grocery store puts the per unit pricing on the price tag. saves having to whip out the calculator app.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6815 posts
6963 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Lots of folks there “drink the koolaid” believing bulk is cheaper
Not always so

It’s truly about know8ng prices and the true PER UNIT Costing

We buy a lot of stuff at Costco ... but can consistently get our brand name paper products (Bounty - Cotonelle - Scottie’s) elsewhere far cheaper
And sometimes this is true for other items as well
Costco has excellent prices on the mega jugs of laundry detergent
BUT ... knowing the true price per milliliter means sometimes a sale elsewhere is cheaper ... but the trade off is smaller jugs
Anybody who's decently thrifty knows this... It's not some big secret. I highly doubt that anyone on RFD thinks Costco is the cheapest for each and every product they carry.

These "koolaid drinkers" you speak of exist at every store... Some people just don't care or have the time/means to shop around.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29374 posts
14880 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: These "koolaid drinkers" you speak of exist at every store... Some people just don't care or have the time/means to shop around.
For me it's Amazon.
I don't care that it's more money. I know they
1) Have it in stock
2) Can get it to me in 2 days or less
3) Don't require pants to shop there.
4) Or parking.

The convenience gets me.
Don't get me wrong, I'm still bitter if it's more expensive but I'll usually just swear it out and buy there anyways.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1105 posts
758 upvotes
Ottawa
If you want 2 different kinds of cheese you pay about $0.50 more per 100g. So, either you buy the better value or you buy 3 months worth of cheese.
Jan 2, 2007
295 posts
187 upvotes
Kitchener, Ontario
I notice the local Sobeys usually sells the smaller Philadelphia Cream Cheese container for a better $/100gr than the larger container. I imagine it's because the smaller one is much much more popular.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20564 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto
If you need only 320G you are going to spend $6, not going to spend $11 if you don't need the extra 500G. My real question is why do you buy No Name shredded cheese? Buy the 450G blocks for $3.99 and shred them yourself. That way you get more Cheese, better quality and more value.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1356 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
The price of similar cheese varies greatly based on the ingredients used to make it. As a cheese lover, I know that Health Canada (following the FDA in the US lead) permits the use of wood pulp (cellulose) in cheese. The makers claim it is inert and used to keep shredded cheese from sticking together. What's interesting it's also added to regular cheese to add volume/weight but keep the prices low. Depending on the cheese type, up to 25% of the cheese weight is permitted as cellulose (wood pulp). I shop around and check the ingredients list closely. The No Name brands are the worse. It appears as "fill", "cellulose" on the list but never as "wood pulp". If I want sawdust in my cheese, I can add my own later. Google "wood pulp in cheese" and see for yourself.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19738 posts
23151 upvotes
GTA
carmaster wrote: If you need only 320G you are going to spend $6, not going to spend $11 if you don't need the extra 500G. My real question is why do you buy No Name shredded cheese? Buy the 450G blocks for $3.99 and shred them yourself. That way you get more Cheese, better quality and more value.
+1,. I can't see any good reason to buy shredded cheese. The word pulp comment seals that opinion.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)