7 posts
11 upvotes
Mississauga

SAF Instant Yeast at supplybox.ca $6.99 plus shipping

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
supplybox.ca
There is huge shortage of yeast across North America especially in Canada. I found this SAF instant yeast for only $6.99 plus shipping which is great if you do not live in metro. TIP. buy six at a time and share with you freinds because shipping is almost same for 1-6 pcs.
Last edited by TomRFD on May 1st, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
53 replies
Sep 15, 2012
640 posts
276 upvotes
Mississauga
u wot m8?

which brand do you buy
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
4052 posts
778 upvotes
Scarborough
Honestly have no clue whata going on. Not only tp is out of stock but so is most baking supplies, ie yeast, baking soda, baking powder and most of the mixes. What is wrong with people??
Oct 19, 2009
260 posts
128 upvotes
Just go to grain process enterprise, they sell instant yeast in 1-pound bags
Jul 18, 2014
350 posts
727 upvotes
Tillsonburg ON
$17.55 for shipping for 1!! pass
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4397 posts
2408 upvotes
$17.55 for shipping a 450g of yeast, alrighty then.

OP, is this your company?
CPU: Intel i7-7700K @4.5GHz | GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 | RAM: ADATA XPG DDR4 3000MHz 24GB | SSD: WD Black 512GB NVMe | Mobo: ASUS STRIX Z270E | Case: COUGAR PANZER | Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 |Monitor: 2 x HP 27es 27" IPS LCD
Mar 11, 2019
303 posts
177 upvotes
Here is a real tip.... Take 1/2 tsp of yeast mix it with 1 cup of flour and half a cup of water at 80 - 100 deg F. let it rise in a jar, stir it with a knife, let it rise again, stir and again, stir and again. Do this for about 24 hours at first. when you want to bake take 1/2 cup of the starter out and bake with it, replenish with 1/2 cup new flour and 1/4 cup water or a bit more if you want it wetter. continue doing this and never buy yeast again........ Keep it in the fridge if not Baking every 2 days.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3039 posts
991 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm not making my own yeast.. And I can't find it anywhere.. Soo.. Wth are people complaining about..

I know for certain my time is worth more than 17 bucks to goto 3 stores looking for it.. Or making my own.. But to each their own.

Yes I want free shipping on yeast.. Better yet. I want this stupid COVID-19 stuff to be done with.. But living with the new normal.
This is what it is.

Thanks OP

My buddy bought a zojirushi bread maker and made hakkaido milk bread yesterday.. It looked ridiculously delicious.. I soon found a chocolate hakkaido bread.. Looks almost like a Montreal chocolate babka.. Yum
Oct 28, 2019
149 posts
108 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote: Honestly have no clue whata going on. Not only tp is out of stock but so is most baking supplies, ie yeast, baking soda, baking powder and most of the mixes. What is wrong with people??
I don’t think it’s a direct result of hoarding (although I’m sure that does play a factor): I think it’s just a lot of people are stuck at home and want to learn to bake, or at least to bake more than they usually do.
Dec 3, 2005
684 posts
663 upvotes
S
eforblue wrote: Just go to grain process enterprise, they sell instant yeast in 1-pound bags
Still open? How much?
Nov 26, 2011
109 posts
48 upvotes
Windsor Junction
ValueSaver wrote: There is huge shortage of yeast across North America especially in Canada. I found this SAF instant yeast for only $6.99 plus shipping which is great if you do not live in metro. TIP. buy six at a time and share with you freinds because shipping is almost same for 1-6 pcs.
I bought yeast from here about 2 weeks ago when I had run out of yeast and couldn't find it anywhere else. I make fresh pizza at least once a week for my family, and make fresh bread about the same, so running out of yeast was annoying, and not being able to find it anywhere else was more annoying. Based on the prices I was seeing from Amazon at the time, the cost was about the same to order it from supplybox, so I sucked up my bitterness and purchased it. Shipped to my house in NS within 2 business days of ordering it. Storing the contents of the open bag in old jars in the freezer to make it last, and using my small "empty" yeast jar to refill it and keep a small amount in the fridge.

Very happy with my purchase from there, and it should keep me going for the rest of the year, when hopefully all the supply chain issues will catch up.

Note: The yeast available needs to be mixed with Water FIRST and slowly dissolved, then added to your recipes. The yeast that most are probably used to is the instant yeast in the small brown jars which you can just mix directly with your flower, so there is an extra 2 or 3 min prep time when using this stuff, but it seems to work well

Tim
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5175 posts
1431 upvotes
Toronto
jintau wrote: Here is a real tip.... Take 1/2 tsp of yeast mix it with 1 cup of flour and half a cup of water at 80 - 100 deg F. let it rise in a jar, stir it with a knife, let it rise again, stir and again, stir and again. Do this for about 24 hours at first. when you want to bake take 1/2 cup of the starter out and bake with it, replenish with 1/2 cup new flour and 1/4 cup water or a bit more if you want it wetter. continue doing this and never buy yeast again........ Keep it in the fridge if not Baking every 2 days.
Why do you need instant yeast in the first place?
Mar 11, 2019
303 posts
177 upvotes
fightbriz wrote: Why do you need instant yeast in the first place?
You dont, you can wait for weeks to create a "sourdough starter" but with this method you add the little yeast and it multiplies in the flour so you can use it on day 2 and keep using it every 2 days maybe daily, or leave it in the fridge if you need longer times. There is also no flour waste like sourdough starter methods. I have used a 1/2 tsp of a free sample of yeast pack I got from a RFD post a few months ago, been using the starter for 3 weeks baked about 10 times with it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-ferment