Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

BC Lower Mainland: TV/Internet15/Phone: $38/month no contract??

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2020 1:08 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2008
1322 posts
282 upvotes
I don't see their contact, and when I click on tech. support link - no page opens.
Anyways, I want to see if they plan on extending to Calgary. I am sick of paying Shaw's pricing. Their promo pricing is good though.

I also wanted to see if they need man power for Calgary work expansion :)
Jul 8, 2015
34 posts
6 upvotes
Surrey, BC
darkesha wrote: I don't see their contact, and when I click on tech. support link - no page opens.
Anyways, I want to see if they plan on extending to Calgary. I am sick of paying Shaw's pricing. Their promo pricing is good though.

I also wanted to see if they need man power for Calgary work expansion :)
If you want to contact them, here's the link to the page.

https://www.surfinternet.ca/contact.html

It's at the bottom left of the homepage (slightly hidden).

Has anyone been able to get the activation fees waived assuming you are already with Shaw?
Oct 10, 2015
56 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
What kind of tv do theu provide?

I usually get basic tv + chinese channels. Can they do that ?
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4404 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
PinkyandTeeny wrote: What kind of tv do theu provide?
I usually get basic tv + chinese channels. Can they do that ?
I think their TV is a rebranded version of Shaw FreeRange TV.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2008
1322 posts
282 upvotes
I believe these players are selling TV over IP service. So if you are torrenting a lot, you will have constant problems with buffering etc...
Oct 4, 2010
923 posts
514 upvotes
Surrey
Well so far im not too impressed by their customer support. I emailed them some simple questions like the ones people are asking here, and no replies after several days.

Looks like it is true that the company is run by just a few people like it claims in their website. They are probably moonlighting for fun as a part time hobby away from their day jobs.

Yah I can call, but I want to get their answers in writing.
Jul 8, 2015
34 posts
6 upvotes
Surrey, BC
matrixfwd wrote: Well so far im not too impressed by their customer support. I emailed them some simple questions like the ones people are asking here, and no replies after several days.

Looks like it is true that the company is run by just a few people like it claims in their website. They are probably moonlighting for fun as a part time hobby away from their day jobs.

Yah I can call, but I want to get their answers in writing.
Not sure about the customer support as I'm on the fence about signing up right now. However, I did email them Saturday morning about the activation fee and got a response back by 4pm same day.

Anyone else living in Surrey/Langley area able to give feedback on the internet speed and stability?
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
headhunt3r wrote: I joined them in December, and it's been pretty solid. Just keep in mind it's a small (2-3 people) operation, but they said to leave a voicemail if you want a call back and it's the best way to get a hold of them if support is needed.
How does one get to be a redistributor? Heck, I want to be a redistributor. I have the funds to kickstart something like this depending what the upfront fees are for this type of business. Does Shaw have to give them a wholesale price on cable and TV so they can make a profit with prices lower than Shaw's?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
4612 posts
9051 upvotes
Abbotsford B.C.
baibaibai wrote:
Has anyone been able to get the activation fees waived assuming you are already with Shaw?
Anyone??
Oct 4, 2014
6 posts
Vancouver, BC
For Surf Internet, would I be able to use my own modem instead of paying $50 for the modem. I have a Motorola SB6120 that I used to use on Lightspeed internet.
If anybody was able to use their own modem, Has anybody had any success getting them to waive the $85 install fee (as they would not need to come to install anything)

matrixfwd wrote: I saw this in our local newspaper ad, seems like a good deal. No contract. Anyone tried them?
They are probably reselling Shaw or Telus, like CIK or Suntel. Not a chinese site like the latter though.

http://www.surfinternet.ca/
Nov 9, 2008
47 posts
33 upvotes
So I just got the TV service and so far it's great. The quality is actually pretty darn good. I get about 30 channels and apparently they are going to be adding more soon, and they will just be added to this package, so no additional cost. I'm streaming over WiFi and I'm not experiencing any buffering at all. The TV is all delivered over their Android App, which is "okay" There isn't a proper TV guide, like normal cable TV, but it does list the channel, what's playing live, as well as what's coming up and what was just on (They pre-record around 24 hours of live TV so you can watch shows from hours before)
I hope someone develops a Kodi app for this, as it would be amazing to have everything all together. Regardless for the price I'm extremely pleased. I was also told that they are looking to get contracts across Canada, so hopefully it will be in more provinces than BC shortly.
Aug 16, 2006
29 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm considering this over my current shaw service. Additionally, I started my parents with lightspeed.ca, and initially customer service is ok...however if you want to make any changes (speed package etc)...watch out...they'll bat you around like a ping pong ball (lightspeed internet).

In anycase, looking at surf internet's website....the Terms and conditions page (who looks at this??)...and they don't discuss anything about penalities, late fees, termination charges which is kinda odd, procedures for cancellations etc.....

Just a comment. Otherwise...looks similar to unmetered,ca (anyone have experience with these guys (over on kingwsay))?
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1651 posts
448 upvotes
sip_99 wrote: I'm considering this over my current shaw service. Additionally, I started my parents with lightspeed.ca, and initially customer service is ok...however if you want to make any changes (speed package etc)...watch out...they'll bat you around like a ping pong ball (lightspeed internet).
As a current customer of lightspeed.ca, I would like to some details about this. Presumably they'd be happy about having you upgrade to a higher priced package, so I'm guessing this was a downgrading situation?
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1440 posts
816 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
I sent an email and left a voicemail last week. No replies at all.
Nov 9, 2008
47 posts
33 upvotes
I actually did the same thing last week, left a voicemail with no response. I ended up buying it anyways and I had a rep call me back right away. Apparently last week they where really short staffed or something. I'm not sure how true that is, but this week I haven't had any issues getting a hold of support to ask questions. (called twice) He did say they are hiring like crazy as the demand is very high. After having the TV service now for a day I can say it does work really well, quality is great and no buffering, but their app kinda sucks. The guide isn't very good and sometimes you select a channel to watch and the app crashes and you have to restart the app and try and find the channel you wanted again. Overall though I can't complain too much, once I have selected a channel it works perfectly and you can't beat that price right now. Hopefully someone builds an addon for Kodi with a better guide.
Oct 4, 2010
923 posts
514 upvotes
Surrey
I ended up with suntel since I got response from them in a timely matter. My question to surf a few weeks ago is still unanswered.

Suntel is also a Shaw reseller using Android box for TV. I had a chance to see it in action at a relatives place so I felt more confident with it.
Jul 21, 2006
617 posts
212 upvotes
matrixfwd wrote: I ended up with suntel since I got response from them in a timely matter. My question to surf a few weeks ago is still unanswered.

Suntel is also a Shaw reseller using Android box for TV. I had a chance to see it in action at a relatives place so I felt more confident with it.
Suntel seems to only care about Chinese customers. their site doesn't even come up in english initially. One would think that in Canada it would.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
4016 posts
3367 upvotes
YUL/YVR
If only all these companies are able to resell Shaw Open's technology too, then I would jump right away.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6685 posts
3696 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
dpolites wrote: Suntel seems to only care about Chinese customers. their site doesn't even come up in english initially. One would think that in Canada it would.
They're based in Richmond BC.
Currently, there are issues with quite a few businesses in that area catering strictly to the Asian community.
Around 10 years ago my friends wife, who is Caucasian, was shopping at the Yaohan Mall and was approached by a security guard and asked to leave with a friendly "You people have your own malls".
Her being quite timid, was crushed.
Sad, not very Canadian, and hopefully an isolated incident.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... rtisements

http://thetyee.ca/Culture/2015/04/09/Ri ... nly-Signs/

http://rabble.ca/babble/anti-racism-new ... e-be-limit
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1440 posts
816 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
Finally got someone on the phone today when I called -- lady was surprisingly helpful on the phone but turns out the application process is through their website anyways. I'm going to switch to their basic Internet/TV package because tired of calling Telus every few months to reneg a deal.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)