Computers & Electronics

Surface Pro 4 vs Surface Book? Which one to buy?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2016 7:48 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 5, 2011
427 posts
95 upvotes
Missisaga

Surface Pro 4 vs Surface Book? Which one to buy?

I can buy either Surface Pro 4 for $1140 USD with keyboard case included or Surface Book for $1000 USD. Both will have i5, 8Gb RAM, and the only difference will be SSD: 256Gb for Pro 4 and 128Gb for Book. Both will be used in like new condition.

SSD difference is not a big deal for me, as I currently live on 128Gb old laptop and I'm perfectly fine with this storage amount (I am using it for work only, MS Office, web-browsing, etc, no games), besides Book is $140 cheaper. Moreover, Book lasts longer and has bigger screen and you can safely use it as a laptop on your lap, unlike Pro 4 which will tend to fall and is more awkward experience on your lap.

Pro 4 on the other hand is lighter and has 256Gb SSD that I already mentioned is not a necessity for me. So basically only advantage is that it's lighter/smaller footprint.

So I'm on the fence - any ideas to tip me over to one or another, anything I'm missing here? AFAIK Microsoft released software updates that solved most of bugs for both Pro 4 and Book. Any help would be appreciated
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4774 posts
2809 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
You already answered you question in your comment.
[OP]
May 5, 2011
427 posts
95 upvotes
Missisaga
vonblock wrote: You already answered you question in your comment.
LOL you are right! It's just I searched all over the web for threads, forums discussions, before posting here, and to my surprise majority of threads favored Pro 4 instead of Book for some reason. So I was confused to be honest. I thought maybe I am missing something here, not seeing the bigger picture everybody else is seeing? Thought to ask redflagdeal forum just in case
Aug 24, 2009
623 posts
227 upvotes
Mississauga
I have a SP4 (as does my wife). I would suggest going to a MSFT store and try to type on both of them as laptops or as tablets - depending on their main purpose. I find the 12" screen to be too big to be a tablet really, so I don't think the Surface Book would be any easier to work with. Conversely, as a laptop I think the SP4 is okay but the Surface book is better.

Finally, MSFT doesn't tend to nail hardware until the 2nd or 3rd revision - if you don't know anyone with personal ownership experience on a Surface Book, I'd probably avoid.

PS Lots of cheap SP4 keyboard covers on Kijiji that could save you $50 to make the prices closer.
[OP]
May 5, 2011
427 posts
95 upvotes
Missisaga
CadillacJack wrote: I have a SP4 (as does my wife). I would suggest going to a MSFT store and try to type on both of them as laptops or as tablets - depending on their main purpose. I find the 12" screen to be too big to be a tablet really, so I don't think the Surface Book would be any easier to work with. Conversely, as a laptop I think the SP4 is okay but the Surface book is better.

Finally, MSFT doesn't tend to nail hardware until the 2nd or 3rd revision - if you don't know anyone with personal ownership experience on a Surface Book, I'd probably avoid.

PS Lots of cheap SP4 keyboard covers on Kijiji that could save you $50 to make the prices closer.
Thank you! I was just wondering isn't the hardware same for SP4 and Book? I was under impression it's more of a form factor difference. However, I think I understand what you mean, stuff like specific proprietary hardware for Book only, like screen release button, hinge, all those Book things?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16093 posts
4584 upvotes
Markham
If you going to use it in tablet mode. Surface book battery time, removed from the keyboard is like 3 hours only

So Surface pro 4 would be better
yes the wake and sleep issue was fixed with firmware update

I got an i7 Surface Pro 4

you might want to do these setting to help with battery life.
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2002
2967 posts
643 upvotes
I fail to see the appeal of the surface book over something like the new XPS 13.
For me it is either surface pro (if you would be using it as a tablet often) or else stick with an ultrabook
Jun 2, 2012
52 posts
6 upvotes
MONTR
Hi,

i'm leaning towards a surface pro 4, 256gb SSD and 8gb ram, and need some input/advices for people using it one.

Currently I have no computer at home (old DELL died last year) . Wife has an Ipad, I'm looking for a laptop/tablet, and I cant find anything else better than Surface Pro 4. coupled with the 10% student discount, and 150$ gift card they give when buying the SP4, it seems like a good deal now.

I feel like all other good ultrabook will just be too big/heavy compared to the SP4, for using as a tablet on the couch or bed. Tablet for seems ideal on the couch or bed, while adding the keyboard when doing some "real work" at home if necessary. iPad is so limited , but at the same time i like the tablet form for just messing around.

Any advices against the SP4?

thanks,
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16093 posts
4584 upvotes
Markham
cdarby79 wrote: Hi,

i'm leaning towards a surface pro 4, 256gb SSD and 8gb ram, and need some input/advices for people using it one.

Currently I have no computer at home (old DELL died last year) . Wife has an Ipad, I'm looking for a laptop/tablet, and I cant find anything else better than Surface Pro 4. coupled with the 10% student discount, and 150$ gift card they give when buying the SP4, it seems like a good deal now.

I feel like all other good ultrabook will just be too big/heavy compared to the SP4, for using as a tablet on the couch or bed. Tablet for seems ideal on the couch or bed, while adding the keyboard when doing some "real work" at home if necessary. iPad is so limited , but at the same time i like the tablet form for just messing around.

Any advices against the SP4?

thanks,
Got for it. and do install the Win10 anniversary update (if doesn't come installed already) it makes surface Pro much better.
also if you collect aeroplan points go thru there https://www4.aeroplan.com/estore/search ... =microsfot
Earn 2 Aeroplan Miles for every $1 you spend!
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4682 posts
2301 upvotes
Toronto
dushash wrote: I was just wondering isn't the hardware same for SP4 and Book?
I recall the Surface Book having a separate GPU in the keyboard portion, don't remember if that was only certain models or across the board.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16093 posts
4584 upvotes
Markham
ROYinTO wrote:
dushash wrote: I was just wondering isn't the hardware same for SP4 and Book?
I recall the Surface Book having a separate GPU in the keyboard portion, don't remember if that was only certain models or across the board.
the cheapest surface book, Doesn't come with GPU on keyboard. All the rest have it.
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro