Expired Hot Deals

Surfshark VPN 2-year deal for CAD 2.59/mo (83% off) + 70% cashback (Topcashback US)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2019 9:40 am
[OP]
Nov 5, 2018
18 posts
18 upvotes

Surfshark VPN 2-year deal for CAD 2.59/mo (83% off) + 70% cashback (Topcashback US)

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
83%
Expiry:
December 31, 2019
So I was searching for a VPN to stream US Netflix and to torrent, found it here, tried and well it works fine for a cheap price. Supposedly support unlimited devices too but I'm fine with 3 of them. Connections are sometimes hit-or-miss, but the speed is quite good.

There's also a 70% cashback available from Topcashback US, shame I've missed it.

Also, I found a 3-year plan for CAD 94.99 at Slickdeals, which is a bit cheaper at a monthly price. Though I'm not used to longer commitments.
18 replies
Sep 16, 2019
170 posts
128 upvotes
This is an ok deal. I think the NordVPN deal 2 weeks ago was still better though. Thanks for sharing anyway.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
3426 posts
2433 upvotes
I've been using surfshark for a while now.... Use it on all my devices, haven't set it up on my PS4 yet.

I bought it through GCR which is currently giving 26% cb.

I prefer using services like surfshark vs nordvpn as they're much more low key with their advertising.

The whole point of a VPN is to not be known/seen so idk why Nord goes crazy with influencer marketing, just let the product/service speak for itself.

All servers let you stream, torrent or whatever you want.

Right now the double VPN servers don't have any exiting servers in Canada so that's a bit of a pain as I almost always use double VPN or as they call it "Multi-Hop".
Jul 11, 2009
555 posts
231 upvotes
Canada
Does it work with Shaw's FreeRangeTV? NordVPN doesn't.
Aug 30, 2013
35 posts
13 upvotes
St. Marys
I use Surfshark! Switched from PIA. The speeds are not great. Usually about 25 down vs PIA my full internet speed of 75mps. But it does work with Netflix! I haven’t tried Shaw.
Dec 6, 2018
9 posts
7 upvotes
Gtaphotog wrote:
Sep 19th, 2019 1:47 pm
I've been using surfshark for a while now.... Use it on all my devices, haven't set it up on my PS4 yet.

I bought it through GCR which is currently giving 26% cb.

I prefer using services like surfshark vs nordvpn as they're much more low key with their advertising.

The whole point of a VPN is to not be known/seen so idk why Nord goes crazy with influencer marketing, just let the product/service speak for itself.

All servers let you stream, torrent or whatever you want.

Right now the double VPN servers don't have any exiting servers in Canada so that's a bit of a pain as I almost always use double VPN or as they call it "Multi-Hop".
GCR is more convenient, but when you compare 26% to 70%, well, not much of a contest. I am curious though why are you always using double VPN? One regular connection should be enough for most of the people. It would be funny if there was a contest on who has more connections you know like camera wars like they are having with smartphones. Triple, quatruple? Let's bounce away through the whole world.

Just kidding :)
May 12, 2011
233 posts
186 upvotes
Calgary
misterhayes wrote:
Sep 19th, 2019 6:32 pm
I use Surfshark! Switched from PIA. The speeds are not great. Usually about 25 down vs PIA my full internet speed of 75mps. But it does work with Netflix! I haven’t tried Shaw.
Switched from PIA as well. I am using it mostly for torrenting via Netherlands. Speed usually around 150 ~ 180 mbps, which is actually better than with PIA
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
3426 posts
2433 upvotes
ParazythGold wrote:
Sep 20th, 2019 1:27 am
GCR is more convenient, but when you compare 26% to 70%, well, not much of a contest. I am curious though why are you always using double VPN? One regular connection should be enough for most of the people. It would be funny if there was a contest on who has more connections you know like camera wars like they are having with smartphones. Triple, quatruple? Let's bounce away through the whole world.

Just kidding :)
Yes 70% is definitely better.

"Your ISP will see the first connection to the VPN server, but will not know your destination IP address on the Internet, as the Internet connection is carried out with the second VPN server;

The second VPN server will not know your real IP address, since it will be hidden by the first VPN server. This increases your anonymity;

You can use different geographic locations of VPN servers located in different continents (e.g. Panama, Malaysia, or Korea).

Your IP address changes on every stage of this process, which creates a layering of your anonymity."
Dec 6, 2018
9 posts
7 upvotes
Well yes, I get that. However, are you in some sort of danger? Hiding from your ISP? I'm just curious. Because, well, Surfshark says it doesn't collect logs, just like many other providers. And your ISP only sees that you are connected to a VPN server and nothing more. I understand in a more authoritarian country, yes, but Canada? I'm using Canadian and US servers and it is more than enough. Well, unless I want the BBC, Disney+ or something. BTW I would suggest trying Disney+, it is an interesting platform to come, free trial right now too. You just need to connect to the Netherlands server.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
5856 posts
466 upvotes
ParazythGold wrote:
Sep 20th, 2019 9:26 am
Well yes, I get that. However, are you in some sort of danger? Hiding from your ISP? I'm just curious. Because, well, Surfshark says it doesn't collect logs, just like many other providers. And your ISP only sees that you are connected to a VPN server and nothing more. I understand in a more authoritarian country, yes, but Canada? I'm using Canadian and US servers and it is more than enough. Well, unless I want the BBC, Disney+ or something. BTW I would suggest trying Disney+, it is an interesting platform to come, free trial right now too. You just need to connect to the Netherlands server.
I guess with recent lawsuits filed against torrent uploading users, can't be too careful. Safer to be connected to another country like Netherlands
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
3426 posts
2433 upvotes
ParazythGold wrote:
Sep 20th, 2019 9:26 am
While I'm at home in Canada it's not the biggest worry except for when I'm downloading stuff like torrents.

But the few times that I'll connect to public open wifi I'll definitely want that extra protection and especially when I travel, I just like that piece of mind knowing (hoping too) that my data is going to be a little bit harder to keep track of.

Between Netflix and YouTube's that's more than enough atm but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Disney+ and Apple TV+ even though after paying for all these streaming services you end up paying more than a 4K TV cable box and subscription it's crazy.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2018
18 posts
18 upvotes
Carrotjuicey wrote:
Sep 19th, 2019 4:46 pm
Does it work well with BBC iPlayer?
Hey. Yes, it does. I don't watch it that often, but when I want to, it seems to work fine.

Regarding Shaw's FreerangeTV, I haven't tried it. But there's a free trial for Android and iOS IIRC so you could give it a shot.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
3426 posts
2433 upvotes
This 2.1gb file took like 2 minutes to download through one of their double vpn "Multi-Hop" severs with speeds peaking at just under 36mb/s.
Images
  • upload.jpg
Nov 5, 2018
7 posts
Gtaphotog wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2019 1:44 am
This 2.1gb file took like 2 minutes to download through one of their double vpn "Multi-Hop" severs with speeds peaking at just under 36mb/s.
Good deal. However, but what is you ISP for getting these kinds of speeds even with a VPN?