Jun 23, 2005
24403 posts
196078 upvotes
GTA

Nvidia Shield TV Pro - $206.99

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Surplus By Design
Surplus By Design has the Nvidia Shield TV Pro (brand new, sealed units) for $229.99. They do charge $9.99 for shipping, but even still, considering they rarely go on sale, not a bad price if you need one now.

Edit: Thanks to @FrostyWinnipeg for mentioning the email signup at the bottom of their homepage, for which you will get a 10% off code, bringing the price to $206.99 (if you are a first time buyer - could just create a new account if needed).

https://surplusbydesign.com/products/nv ... 2489776303
Last edited by toguy on Aug 8th, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
50 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17862 posts
875 upvotes
Is the hardware on these still recent? Not sure how often it gets updated.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
24403 posts
196078 upvotes
GTA
Super strokey wrote: Is the hardware on these still recent? Not sure how often it gets updated.
Have had mine for a few years now and it is still getting updates. The UI seems as smooth as on day 1 and I have not encountered any compatibility issues, etc thus far. Best streaming box I've ever owned, including an older Apple TV.
Jul 21, 2013
895 posts
581 upvotes
Calgary
Really the only thing that it is missing is VP9 support because the chip doesn't support it. But, I wouldn't wait for a new version.

But then again, Google is moving away from VP9 to AV1 so it really it isn't even worth waiting for.
Dec 25, 2012
17 posts
39 upvotes
Terrebonne
Roger21 wrote: Really the only thing that it is missing is VP9 support because the chip doesn't support it. But, I wouldn't wait for a new version.

But then again, Google is moving away from VP9 to AV1 so it really it isn't even worth waiting for.
I have the first two seasons of Cobra Kai in VP9 and it plays perfectly fine on my Shield (with Emby & Plex).
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2019
1857 posts
8739 upvotes
Why would someone pay that much for an android box just curious? When you can get a firestick 4kmax for 45?
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1837 posts
573 upvotes
Ottawa
Spiritualx wrote: Why would someone pay that much for an android box just curious? When you can get a firestick 4kmax for 45?
No Amazon force feed ads.
also no locked down on Amazon's bloatware
Oct 13, 2007
571 posts
147 upvotes
cf7777 wrote: No Amazon force feed ads.
also no locked down on Amazon's bloatware
Shield also has expandable storage and AI upscaling of 1080p to 4k. If you are like me and are running plex through passthrough on the 4k firestick, then the firestick at 45 is the way to go for me.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1308 posts
1976 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
Spiritualx wrote: Why would someone pay that much for an android box just curious? When you can get a firestick 4kmax for 45?
Gaming with 2p. Seems it's a limitation with other gamestream clients.

Run servers like Plex with HW transcoding in the absolutely smallest footprint.

The change to an ad-filled UX killed the only selling feature it had for me. Unless you need those 2 niche reasons get a ftv and use auto-launcher to kick out of the Amazon interface to an app loader. Easy.
May 24, 2021
19 posts
43 upvotes
  1. (Was) the strongest-simplest one device Plex server / player.
  2. fantastic PC Gaming potential
  3. external storage (x2 usb ports)
  4. is still supported by nvidia (updates every so often)
I'm still rocking the original nvidia shield and apart from google forcing ads down my throat via that infamous update.
Its been able to play anything through plex and play casual pc games on the tv (not just mobile games),

would have been interested in buying this if the old one was crapping out, unfortunately looks like most improvements are on paper or doesn't concern my TV.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1837 posts
573 upvotes
Ottawa
m2teach wrote: Shield also has expandable storage and AI upscaling of 1080p to 4k. If you are like me and are running plex through passthrough on the 4k firestick, then the firestick at 45 is the way to go for me.
Marshallferret wrote: [

I'm still rocking the original nvidia shield and apart from google forcing ads down my throat via that infamous update.
I uninstalled Google TV Home Update to get rid those ads
Jul 30, 2010
364 posts
132 upvotes
Woodbridge
I got this for my parents cause a friend recommended it. I got myself a firestick. We both use it for streaming services.

Could somebody explain what this does that the firestick doesn't?
Aug 20, 2020
301 posts
305 upvotes
Marshallferret wrote:
  1. (Was) the strongest-simplest one device Plex server / player.
  2. fantastic PC Gaming potential
  3. external storage (x2 usb ports)
  4. is still supported by nvidia (updates every so often)
Its been able to play anything through plex and play casual pc games on the tv (not just mobile games),

would have been interested in buying this if the old one was crapping out, unfortunately looks like most improvements are on paper or doesn't concern my TV.
Whats the strongest now?
Oct 5, 2021
6 posts
3 upvotes
mark_98 wrote: I got this for my parents cause a friend recommended it. I got myself a firestick. We both use it for streaming services.

If all you're using it for is streaming shows, not much. At least not much that you'd notice. The only thing you might notice is that the Nivida Shield is going to have a smoother interface because of the higher processing power, and 4K upscaling.

For others who want a little more out of their TV box, the Nvidia shield is great at running emulators if you're into playing classic games. (It can do most systems up to and including Dreamcast). You can run Plex on it natively, and GeForce now is great on it.

With that being said, it is getting a little long on the tooth and most "enthusiasts" will probably recommend you get a NUC or other similar systems for a HTPC set up if you don't mind tinkering for a similar price. Also Apple is rumored to be announcing a new more affordable Apple TV this fall and it will probably be more powerful than the shield if you don't mind waiting. In my opinion, I think the Shield Pro is only a good value nowadays if you're able to get it for $100-150 (Which will never happen if it's brand new, open box maybe). Otherwise the sales that have been happening recently on the Apple TV (Both 2017 and 2021) are a far better value. I was able to get the 2017 Apple TV 4K for $100 and the 2021 Apple TV 4K for $160. That is of course if you don't mind being limited to the Apple apps.
Last edited by KnowThisMe on Aug 8th, 2022 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3301 posts
3707 upvotes
GVRD
I've been wanting to setup a Plex server, but I just discovered Plex on the Nvidia Shield doesn't support .iso DVD movie image files (the backups of my many DVD collections, to preserve the original discs). Even my old WD TV Live played my .iso movie backups without any issues. The Plex solution is to convert all of them to .mkv files. From researching, maybe a Kodi media server might work instead of Plex, but I was really hoping to get into the simplicity and feature set of Plex.

Whatever your uses may be, or what you're comparing it to, consider researching that topic specifically as there is a huge installed base of Nvidia Shield Pro customers and issues. Whatever it is that's most important to you, there are likely extensive discussions online on that subject. That's another thing that makes the Shield a great product overall.
Nov 22, 2011
70 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
How is casting your PC screen to the shield? I have a Roku TV and casting is awful at times especially when casting shows or streams
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1286 posts
1681 upvotes
Montreal
mark_98 wrote: I got this for my parents cause a friend recommended it. I got myself a firestick. We both use it for streaming services.

Multiplayer gaming is pretty good on the Shield. I play lots of emulator games on it, all the way up to the Dreamcast and PS2. GeForce Now (naturally) also runs really well, so PC gaming on your TV is pretty seamless.

It runs a Plex Server (not just the client/player), so it can run a PMS for all your other devices from this box. It's also a pretty open Android box, so sideloading apps is quite easy. It has direct access to the Google Play Store, so no Amazon nonsense. It can run pretty much any media you throw at it (except maybe VP9).

I've had a lot of other Android boxes in the past and by comparison to the Shield, they all seemed like a compromise. The Shield "just works" for the most part (there was a bit of an issue when they upgraded to Android 11 earlier this year). Despite being easy to use, it doesn't lock you into any ecosystem and you can add whatever you like to it: game emulators, STB emulators for TV, web browsers, pretty much any Android app/game.

Here are my thoughts on the Shield TV from a previous thread:
amazon-ca-nvidia-shield-android-tv-4k-h ... #p35282608
May 24, 2021
19 posts
43 upvotes
rbell76 wrote: Whats the strongest now?
Apart from building your own itx-HTPC...
The family seems to enjoy plex on the newest apple tv; definitely on paper the new apple tv beats the shield ( 2021 hardware vs 2019 hardware )
don't get me wrong; the shield is still pretty much the go to.

also with the speed in which those throwaway android boxes get a hardware refresh, there is a case to be made there; but i always have seen them as throwaway crap.
Sep 8, 2005
252 posts
212 upvotes
If you want to stream high bitrate 4k remuxes, the firestick 4k won't suffice, you'll need the shield pro.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2011
1958 posts
429 upvotes
m2teach wrote: Shield also has expandable storage and AI upscaling of 1080p to 4k. If you are like me and are running plex through passthrough on the 4k firestick, then the firestick at 45 is the way to go for me.
Don't forget it is also a gaming unit.
It is Nvidia and has full support of their gaming service/platform: GeForce Now.
Firesticks don't have the capabilities that this unit does when it comes to gaming.
Eveb on googleplay.
Can't figure out why people keep trying to compare these Shields to the firesticks or google chromecasts is beyond me! Expressionless Face

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)