None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2489 posts
2140 upvotes
Canada

SurplusByDesign.com - Warning! SCAM!!!

Yes its the same one as that SurplusByDesign eBay store.

I bought an item from their website www.surplusbydesign.com and it turns out to be defective. This is their Grade A Open Box items which can be returned for refund based on their policy. I emailed their support twice with no response at all. It has been 8 days since. There is no phone number to contact them whatsoever.

Have I been scammed?

Edit: They responded when a different email is used.

Stay away. SCAM!!
Last edited by Redsanta on May 10th, 2019 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
To the moon
13 replies
Dec 22, 2007
687 posts
339 upvotes
Mississauga
Redsanta wrote: Yes its the same one as that SurplusByDesign eBay store.

I bought an item from their website www.surplusbydesign.com and it turns out to be defective. This is their Grade A Open Box items which can be returned for refund based on their policy. I emailed their support twice with no response at all. It has been 8 days since. There is no phone number to contact them whatsoever.

Have I been scammed?
hard to say about scammed. assume you paid by credit card if so call them say item is defective and merchant isn't not responding. they may/should be able to help.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11850 posts
8119 upvotes
Edmonton
duderaf wrote: hard to say about scammed. assume you paid by credit card if so call them say item is defective and merchant isn't not responding. they may/should be able to help.
They have a Facebook site... when all else fails, go social!

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2489 posts
2140 upvotes
Canada
They responded when a different email is used.

Stay away. SCAM!!
To the moon
Dec 15, 2015
689 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
Redsanta wrote: Yes its the same one as that SurplusByDesign eBay store.

Have I been scammed?

Edit: They responded when a different email is used.

Stay away. SCAM!!
Contact them through ebay. They got back to me right away. I tried the website form and didn't hear back.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1862 posts
1689 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Bought something off them from a while ago also. it was a computer monitor and the specs they had listed on the site was wrong compared to what i got, i had to return it and pay hefty shipping. Complete waste of time and money
😎Thanks RFD😎
Dec 1, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
Hello - We recently joined Red Flag Deals - back in May our web store was new and we didnt have all lines of communication tied to our main email. As another user noted, through eBay does provide a quick response. We have been working on our site and the communication (email) has been updated to work much better now. Sorry for anyone that had a hard time reaching out to us. We do our best to respond to every customer as soon as we can. If products are defective we do provide return shipping labels to allow our customers to return items that they bought. The majority of our customers are very happy with our product and our customer service, as evident by out 99.8% aproval score on eBay. We have been selling on eBay for over 10 years, we are not new to the industry, nor do we intend to "scam" any of our customers. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9082 posts
2671 upvotes
London
https://surplusbydesign.com/pages/frequ ... -questions
Q: Are the photos in the listing of the actual unit?
A: All photos are stock photos of the products. As our products come in many different conditions we have moved to a grading system that defines the characteristics of condition of the items that you are purchasing. All our products continue to undergo the same rigorous testing to ensure you know what you are buying.

https://surplusbydesign.com/pages/about-us
Listing
Each unit is cleaned and photographed in our facility. We do not use stock photographs unless the unit is sealed. For auctions, every picture that you see is of the exact item that you are bidding on! For items where you see a quantity listing, the images are of one of the units for sale, but may not be of the exact item that you will receive.

We are committed to providing clear and accurate listings of each and every item that we sell. Please read carefully through the listing before placing your bid, or submitting a question. We are happy to answer your questions, but please check the listing for the information first.
Dec 1, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
Thank you for letting us know about this. We agree thats its not 100% clear. We only use stock photos for our fixed price listings on our site or on eBay. Our eBay auctions feature the actual item not stock photos. We will fix this to make that more clear. Thank You!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9082 posts
2671 upvotes
London
SurplusByDesign wrote: Thank you for letting us know about this. We agree thats its not 100% clear. We only use stock photos for our fixed price listings on our site or on eBay. Our eBay auctions feature the actual item not stock photos. We will fix this to make that more clear. Thank You!
That took you a year to see?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3843 posts
2402 upvotes
Vancouver
Ottomaddox wrote: That took you a year to see?
To be fair, not everyone is a RFD user nor visits RFD regularly. Maybe they just decided to check a year(+) later or they finally google and found this thread again so figure it’s time to respond. It’s even possible they looked and forgot the login for their account.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
1424 posts
476 upvotes
I’ve bought from them numerous times only had one issue and the refund was seamless
Jan 10, 2021
2 posts
This is a legit website. I just purchased tile mate keychains at a fraction of the price and it was brand new and functioning. They just don’t guarantee the battery function as it could be stock that’s simply been sitting there. Received item quickly and got free shipping! There’s fine print under each item specifying the condition so read carefully ! Will purchase again ! This thread is unfairly posted