Computers & Electronics

Is SurplusByDesign still Staples' outlet store on eBay?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2018 3:00 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
1229 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto

Is SurplusByDesign still Staples' outlet store on eBay?

I recall reading a number of threads on RFD pointing to deals on Staples' outlet store on eBay called SurplusByDesign. Is this still true nowadays?

http://stores.ebay.ca/SurplusByDesign

I am now seeing Staples Canada running a separate store on eBay (I don't recall seeing this long ago).

For returns, does anyone have any experience dealing with SurplusByDesign? Can I contact Staples customer support with post-sale issues from SurplusByDesign?
5 replies
Oct 26, 2008
183 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
For returns you I think you have to contact SurplusByDesign not staples. Different policies.

From when I've dealt with them they seem pretty good with returns. No issue so far.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1037 upvotes
Richmond
I have dealt with them too. You can not contact Staples customer support even from a couple of years ago. SurplusByDesign was never supported by Staples customer support.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
I seriously doubt they are Staples. They probably have a contract with Staples to buy returns, demos, etc. from them and so they probably have a large number of products that originally came from Staples. That's probably the extent of their relationship. There are tons of various liquidators/resellers who get their merchandise from retailers. Some basically just sell everything as-is, some test and sell, and some do repair/refurb on gear as well. Most of them buy this stuff from retailers by the pallet load and then they sort it (and test/repair depending on what kind of operation they run) and list on eBay.

Further evidence is that SurplusByDesign seems to be a local company, based out of Mississauga, ON. OTOH Staples is obviously a huge chain retailer. It's parented in the US and the Canadian head office is in Richmond Hill.

I'm guessing SurplusByDesign just gets most of their stuff from Staples, but they are otherwise not related to them.
Oct 4, 2015
3 posts
9 upvotes
Guelph
Actually I deal with this outlet a lot and they are officially called 'Staples Surplus by Design' on their invoices. From what I understand they also auction off equipment not coming through the Staples brand. I purchase mostly returned computers for a reasonable price at auction. They do have a bot that bids up the price although that is not allowed but after 6 months buying from them and seeing the same hardware return (same serial numbers) with two or three similar account names I know once I see that come in the price will go up. eBay swears up and down that they have this under control, but I have been outbid over two hundred times in the last 5 seconds by the same account and the hardware returned two days later, so be aware of this, they still make lots of money in auctions.