Shopping Discussion

Surprising items sold at "regular" stores

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2016 3:13 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 15, 2005
5575 posts
1157 upvotes

Surprising items sold at "regular" stores

What are some surprising items you've found that really shouldn't be part of a particular store's inventory?

TIF, Best Buy carries $400 Montblanc meisterstuck wallets.

London Drugs carries a sous vide... that's also a slow cooker.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」
11 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8533 upvotes
GTHA
rf134a wrote: What are some surprising items you've found that really shouldn't be part of a particular store's inventory?

TIF, Best Buy carries $400 Montblanc meisterstuck wallets.
Are these wallets drop shipped from the manufacturer since they can be purchased online only?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2002
3127 posts
1730 upvotes
Vancouver
tk1000 wrote:
rf134a wrote: What are some surprising items you've found that really shouldn't be part of a particular store's inventory?

TIF, Best Buy carries $400 Montblanc meisterstuck wallets.
Are these wallets drop shipped from the manufacturer since they can be purchased online only?
It's a marketplace seller listing those wallets. It's the equivalent of Amazon's marketplace. Pretty much the survival strategy for many big retailers including Sears.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
7632 posts
8316 upvotes
Vancouver
It looks to me like jomashop.com is one of BestBuy.ca's suppliers. Looking at Tissot automatics as an example, Best Buy's prices for each model are exactly the same as what jomashop.com shows, only Best Buy has converted them to CAD and then marked them all up by exactly 33%. Even that Montblanc wallet is sold at jomashop.

I wonder how many Canadians have ordered this jomashop.com from Best Buy and paid the big premium, which Best Buy of course advertises as "Save $$$ sale ends December 31 2024"
Last edited by Kiraly on Oct 17th, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4201 posts
768 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Maybe, but those are sold by a third party vendor on Best Buy... Best Buy Canada is copying Best Buy US, which followed in the footsteps of other retailers like Walmart and Amazon in letting third party sellers use their platform to list and sell items.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2002
3127 posts
1730 upvotes
Vancouver
Kiraly wrote: I wonder how many Canadians have ordered this jomashop.com from Best Buy and paid the big premium, which Best Buy of course advertises as "Save $$$ sale ends December 31 2024"
Probably not that many.

Best Buy makes it clear on the product page and shopping cart:

  • Sold and shipped by [Vendor] Seller's shipping policy
  • These items can't be returned to Best Buy Stores. Return policy
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
13259 posts
4355 upvotes
Ottawa
Do you consider "Costco" a regular store? They sell some pretty high end items sometimes

example...Patek watches have been seen in US costcos

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/attenti ... 65473.html
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 7, 2007
20557 posts
4606 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Groceries in a drug store.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26047 posts
11518 upvotes
NCIX lists the weirdest things in their supplier feeds.
Source:I bought a bunch of weird things from their supplier feeds.

Also *points in the general direction of Amazon*
In the US I once received an order containing a hard drive and a container of ice cream.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
5682 posts
859 upvotes
Ottawa
I once saw "personal massage tools" being sold at a dollar store.

In some states in the US, you can't sell a sexual stimulation massage tool by calling it a d----, v-------, etc. so they'll use more "medical" sounding terms for what it is. I'm guessing what they bought it on overstock and didn't realize what it was.
Member
Aug 4, 2012
287 posts
177 upvotes
Cambridge
ConsoleWatcher wrote: I once saw "personal massage tools" being sold at a dollar store.

In some states in the US, you can't sell a sexual stimulation massage tool by calling it a d----, v-------, etc. so they'll use more "medical" sounding terms for what it is. I'm guessing what they bought it on overstock and didn't realize what it was.
I wouldn't be so sure, you can buy condoms and other sex-related stuff at Dollarama depending on stock, not sure why you wouldn't be able to.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
5682 posts
859 upvotes
Ottawa
ThermKitty wrote:
ConsoleWatcher wrote: I once saw "personal massage tools" being sold at a dollar store.

In some states in the US, you can't sell a sexual stimulation massage tool by calling it a d----, v-------, etc. so they'll use more "medical" sounding terms for what it is. I'm guessing what they bought it on overstock and didn't realize what it was.
I wouldn't be so sure, you can buy condoms and other sex-related stuff at Dollarama depending on stock, not sure why you wouldn't be able to.
It was more how they had it displayed than the fact they sold it at all; it was pretty much near the front of the store, not tucked away near the back. I just found it funny that it really appeared that they didn't really know what it really was.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)