Surrendering Storage Space

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2016 1:42 pm
[OP]
Jul 12, 2006
413 posts
27 upvotes

Surrendering Storage Space

I hope I am posting this in the correct subforum. I have wasted and am wasting a lot of money on this so I think it is probably appropriate. I have been renting a storage closet - for years. It costs me $85 per month. Note that this is not an attempt to sell stuff, but a (i) call for help and (ii) a lesson for other RFDers.

My question is a bottle of laundry detergent froze over and there is some black stuff on the floor, I think some tar was thrown in from the next closet at some point. Will there be a problem with the surrender based on the floor?

It is full of mostly

books
clothes
IKEA metal stool and folding chair (plastic/metal)
some documents which can mostly be tossed I assume
case of expired protein powder (1) and creatine monohydrate (1)
C(ompact)D(isc) covers and the CDs
audio cassette tapes(!)
expired soda pop
some pieces of tasteful home decorations
comfy new blanket
pedestal fan
office chair
19" Viewsonic CRT computer display
Windows NT era computer (ATX case is probably the most valuable part)
couple of FujiFilm Lexmark printers (new in box) from 2006
clothes and shoes, some new

:(
6 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12436 posts
8944 upvotes
Edmonton
Ferris Bueller wrote: I hope I am posting this in the correct subforum. I have wasted and am wasting a lot of money on this so I think it is probably appropriate. I have been renting a storage closet - for years. It costs me $85 per month. Note that this is not an attempt to sell stuff, but a (i) call for help and (ii) a lesson for other RFDers.

My question is a bottle of laundry detergent froze over and there is some black stuff on the floor, I think some tar was thrown in from the next closet at some point. Will there be a problem with the surrender based on the floor?

It is full of mostly

books
clothes
IKEA metal stool and folding chair (plastic/metal)
some documents which can mostly be tossed I assume
case of expired protein powder (1) and creatine monohydrate (1)
C(ompact)D(isc) covers and the CDs
audio cassette tapes(!)
expired soda pop
some pieces of tasteful home decorations
comfy new blanket
pedestal fan
office chair
19" Viewsonic CRT computer display
Windows NT era computer (ATX case is probably the most valuable part)
couple of FujiFilm Lexmark printers (new in box) from 2006
clothes and shoes, some new

:(

So what exactly is your question? Whether you'll get dinged for a messed up floor?

C
[OP]
Jul 12, 2006
413 posts
27 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: So what exactly is your question? Whether you'll get dinged for a messed up floor?

C
Yes. I haven't done that to the floor. The detergent can be cleaned up but the other stuff was tossed over from some place - at some point over the years, it was on the boxes as well, but I didn't notice it on the floor. It has been so long that I am afraid I will be held responsible. Has someone got experience giving up a storage space where they had trouble with being held liable for such damage?

PS. My original post turned into schmuck shaming. "I wasted $2.83 today. Ask me how."
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3102 posts
1515 upvotes
That 19" CRT screen needs to be purged. Just sayin'
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12436 posts
8944 upvotes
Edmonton
Ferris Bueller wrote: Yes. I haven't done that to the floor. The detergent can be cleaned up but the other stuff was tossed over from some place - at some point over the years, it was on the boxes as well, but I didn't notice it on the floor. It has been so long that I am afraid I will be held responsible. Has someone got experience giving up a storage space where they had trouble with being held liable for such damage?

PS. My original post turned into schmuck shaming. "I wasted $2.83 today. Ask me how."
Your biggest problem is that you've spent $85/month storing stuff for a decade that should have been burned years ago. Worrying about a $100 cleaning charge (or whatever) is trivial compared to the bucks wasted.

Yes, you'll be liable for any damage to your unit, and cleaning it if you leave it in a unclean condition. You should have complained to management when the stuff magically appeared in your unit. How much you'll get dinged depends on how much of a hard@ss your storage rental people are. But you know what? Whether you turn it over today or you turn it over in 6 months (after wasting another $500), the end result is the same. Except you're another $500 poorer.

C
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12436 posts
8944 upvotes
Edmonton
BTW... I'll also say that a certain amount of wear and tear is likely expected. So you very well might get off scott free. I would clean it up your space as much as possible, not mention it, and let them come to you if they have an issue.

C