• Feb 27th, 2018 10:12 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 26, 2013
400 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto

Surrey BC

Has anyone ever been to Surrey BC? How is it like? Is the cost of living high? Things to do? I got a job offer there in the mental health field.
Share:
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5558 posts
1424 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
High crime rate, high living cost ($1M+ houses), high traffic volume, low salaries.

Most people are there for the sake of being close to Vancouver (something that many people will pay for).
Consultant, Operator/Trucker
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Road Construction
  • Tax & Finance
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2001
1296 posts
188 upvotes
Mississauga
It is like Mississauga is to Toronto location wise. For going out etc there are the usual malls, chain restaurants etc. Nothing amazing stuff.

I know a few people who live there and have visited too. There is drug gangs etc but if you keep to yourself don't think you have to worry about it. Homes can be expensive. Rains a lot too.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7427 posts
4703 upvotes
Victoria, BC
lovetolearn wrote: Has anyone ever been to Surrey BC? How is it like? Is the cost of living high? Things to do? I got a job offer there in the mental health field.
I'm from Victoria, but spent a lot of time on the mainland (had a boyfriend there for 4 years of back and forth). It rains A LOT and is dull and grey looking like half the year. I know my opinion isn't probably popular with the people who love Vancouver like a cult, but I find it depressing as shit. Housing is crazy expensive (but coming from Toronto you will be used to that). Surrey is large, so there are different parts of it, some nicer than others. It isn't a move I would recommend you even consider unless you are going to be making a lot more money than your current situation to make it worth your while.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4372 posts
1937 upvotes
Surrey has an undeserved blanket reputation for being crime-ridden and rough (mostly from ignorant people who usually do not venture out to south of the Fraser river) but it's a huge city (one of the largest municipalities in Canada, the largest school district in Canada, etc.) with pockets of areas that are among the best neighbourhoods in the Greater Vancouver area (e.g. Fraser Heights, South Surrey/White Rock)

Properties are expensive but anything in the GVRD is expensive. If you're coming from eastern Canada I hear many people complain that groceries tend to be more expensive in the west. Gas prices in the Vancouver region are among the highest on the continent. Expect to be milked dry for other life necessities (e.g. insurance, taxes, etc.)
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1546 posts
1842 upvotes
BC
Surrey is a suburb of Vancouver. You can take the job but you don't have to live in Surrey as Skytrain service (Vancouver's light rapid transit system) connects to Vancouver, Burnaby, and other places outside of Surrey. Travel time on Skytrain from downtown Vancouver to Surrey station is about 30 - 40 minutes. The North side of Surrey (Whalley, Guildford, Newton) has its social problems with gangs, homelessness, car thefts while the South Side (White Rock, Crescent Beach, or Ocean park) is fine.

Cost of Living is high due to high housing costs as you are living in a major metro area but probably not any more so than Toronto.

Things to do? It's Vancouver - if you enjoy the outdoors, its heaven.
Nov 13, 2015
50 posts
16 upvotes
Pitt Meadows, BC
Grew up in Surrey.

Its a massive city both geographically and demographically. I think will near 600k in the next few years. Its cheaper than Vancouver, but if you're planning on buying, all of the lower mainland is overpriced. The crime rates for Surrey actually comparable to any other major city in Canada, though it does get in the media due to higher profile gang related activities.

Surrey is quite diverse with some very nice modern upscale neighbourhoods, as well as older, more "ghetto" neighbourhoods. The transit system in the lower mainland is very good and if you're working in Surrey, then its better to live in Surrey its cheaper than neighbouring cities. PM me if you have specific questions.
Jun 27, 2017
266 posts
339 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Been living in Surrey for a number of years.

It really depends on where you going to stay some parts of Surrey is very sketch like Whalley area and if you want a nicer area can look around in White Rock, Fraser Heights, Bear Creeks. As mentions above crime rate I guess is due to gang related activities if you are doing drugs and might ran into them, I live near the mall and I have walked back to my place during odd hours (between 1am to 5am) and I'm still alive and kicking.

OP you might have to take a look into the transit as some areas the bus services stop at 9pm and if you staying far from the skytrain or the bus stop, you will end up having a long walk home or just grab a cab near the skytrain.

Cost of living boils down to shared or alone accommodation and location, it really ranges very differently just hunt around in Craigslist and go to the house personally to check out the place instead of the pictures posted.

If you are into cycling there are tons of trails and path to go, I believe there's a map you can get a hold of, summer have fusion festival.

All in all like what Neverone mentioned and my experience, feel free to ask any questions.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
856 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Trolling.
OP has been asking these questions for a long, long time. Asking about just about everywhere in Canada and overseas.

victoria-bc-vancouver-island-2163372/2/#p28804470

Don't waste your time.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Jul 24, 2015
237 posts
153 upvotes
poleman wrote: Trolling.
OP has been asking these questions for a long, long time. Asking about just about everywhere in Canada and overseas.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/victoria ... #p28804470

Don't waste your time.
He's right though, lots of shootings in Surrey.

It's good for others to know.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
3401 posts
1034 upvotes
GTA
PeterWIlliams wrote: He's right though, lots of shootings in Surrey.

It's good for others to know.
I agree in relation to this post, I haven’t seen the other ones. I learnt so much already and this thread is only on page 1.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7427 posts
4703 upvotes
Victoria, BC